Dang Stevo, what you been drinkin .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
I usually won't take my weights or clamps off PU glue for 12 hours... But that's just me...
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:50 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
I am definitely of the school of thought that you should not take clamps and/or weight off PU glue joints for at least 3 hours. Aliphatic resin (white or yellow wood glue) is in the range of 45 minutes, just to be really safe.

For some steps that take a good bit of time to accomplish, such as applying the sheeting to a D-box structure, I need a little more time than white glue gives me, when the temperature is up and the humidity is low. It was somewhere on RCGroups that Jack the {schreder} Man first pointed out the use of PU glue for the ribs in a D-box. In the correct small, controlled quantity, PU foams up into a groovy little fillet. Experience will teach how to use no more than needed. seanpcola's tip [post #3261} about Q-tips is a good one.

I generally have converted to wood glue for everything where the water base won't cause warpage, like joining ply doublers to balsa fuselage sides, since it is the easiest to control weight build up and works with all woods. (I think) Some glues seem to have issues with greasy or oily woods, wood glue seems more resistant to these issues. The wood glue can soak into joints a short distance, and make a nice small fillet but a little pressure and preglueing is quite useful. Although I have not tried this yet, wood glue can be pre-applied to both surfaces and then adhered to each other after drying with a covering iron or your better half's clothes iron when she isn't watching.

CA glue has its dangers. It can run away from me and instantly get me into trouble, but the wifee still hasn't notice the bare spot in the finish of her table where the acetone pulled it off when I had to clean up a CA spill that went beyond my fingers. It does have its uses however. Tacking something with a tiny drop to hold parts in position while other adhesives are applied and allowed to set is sometimes the best way. It was a great way to set the root balsa rib at the angle needed with just a couple spots, then I came back with wood glue, thinned Slightly and applied with a cheap artist brush or toothpick.

Epoxy I use when and where I am told to. It is so much fun to mix up Thoroughly and then spread on thinly, or mix with thickeners or lighteners or ......Strong, but HEAVY.

Now I am going to play with 3M 924 transfer tape. Interesting stuff, more on this later.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Dec 11, 2009, 04:24 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Thanks for the words GD. So, what combo did you use for the sheeting?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 05:41 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
Slow epoxy on the spar, Guerilla Glue for the ribs; telephone books, old airplane modeling magazines, plastic bags filled with lead weight to hold it all in place; a couple of fingers crossed and a little bit of patience. Worked great.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Dec 11, 2009, 09:30 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Troppo juice, Don, to stave off the effects of the summer heat. Its pushing 98 degrees here today and there's no breeze. No flying either the film would melt off your glider.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:35 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Today I went for a ride to the Nikenbah recycle markets, fantastic place for mad inventors needing those obscure widgets, cheap. I found a more suitable tailboom for the 4m thermaler, it checks out better for weight vs strength and dimensions, and i'm to lazy to learn to roll my own.

So, that constitutes my aeromodelling activity for Saturday, pretty p!$$ poor effort, but who could blame a bloke.

Well men, it has reached 101 F in the shade here at Chez Atmos, I'm praying a seabreeze pics up this afternoon. There's only one thing for it, and that is to knock up another batch of the high power jungle juice and retire to the shady side of the house to sit and contemplate the meaning of it all and the fate of mankind.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 01:57 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Right own Vaz!!! I love pics of folks having fun! So, what's the melon brew you got going on...I want the recipe. Dang, 101 in the shade, I'll bet that's going down right nice . Kinda weird to think you got blistering weather there and we have purple hineys here . What's the tail boom that you found? Is it a telescopic rod? I do garage sales and the fleas around here all the time and find lots of goodies. One mans trash is another mans treasure...
Last edited by dwells; Dec 12, 2009 at 02:03 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 02:10 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDbot View Post
Slow epoxy on the spar, Guerilla Glue for the ribs; telephone books, old airplane modeling magazines, plastic bags filled with lead weight to hold it all in place; a couple of fingers crossed and a little bit of patience. Worked great.
Thanks GD, as slow as I am, I think I'll follow your recipe along with Jack's airfoil conforming, phone book smashernuegens .
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:17 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Two pice shimano rod, Don. thats the butt end of a spinning surf rod. $1.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 07:07 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
My mouth is watering just looking at that concoction Steve. Looks delicious. Reminds me of the Jungle Juice we made years ago.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 12, 2009, 09:32 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Hmmm
A man after my own heart.....redneck, jungle juice officinado, laid back, and too dang lazy to pour the mix thru a screen to filter out the seeds.
Well, what the hell, you can spend your time spittin' seeds at that toe peckin' turkey!!

Been busy building some extra Christmas presents for some of the family. Ever hear of "Beer Butt Chicken?" Looked at some of the devices that various companies have for holding the chicken with the can of beer stuffed in the cavity. Could not believe the prices they get for them so I made 5 of them to pass out this Christmas. Me? Cheap?.....you bet your bippy!

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Dec 12, 2009, 09:59 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Alright Gerald! We call em "Drunk Chickens" around here. An excellent way to char a yardbird.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:08 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
char a yardbird.
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:17 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004