Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 02, 2009, 06:18 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
I'm starting to think there could be a lot of overweight OlyIII's out there in the world.
Oops, she heard you .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2009, 06:22 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
I really hate tape! The time it takes to rip off a new strip or strips plus the chore of cleaning off the residue reminds me of my "Slimer" days.
With the spring all I have to do is snap the open end to the wing hook and I'm done.

The offer is still there, Don, and a fantastic response to Steve's slander!!!
Yes, we caught snow on the way back from Ft. Worth after Thanksgiving. As much as I hate it(the snow) we'll take any moisture we can get!
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Dec 03, 2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 06:43 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Thanks Gerald, I'll take you up on that. After it's all tweaked I'll send you the specs for the spring. I'll trade you for a couple yards of my 6" wide mega adhesive back 80 grit sander block makin stuff...deal? Well it's soggy around here, hope you get some.

Slander...hmmm, I thank that's due a hangin round these parts . Seriously, you're right Steve...build light. The weight of these bits are nothing for a RES this size. The only thing in my wings are spoiler bay timber, retaining hooks and a tube...no wires and no servos. I think I'll be close to suggested AUW.
Last edited by dwells; Dec 02, 2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 07:13 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I believe it was a plan for plans... or something like that...
Plans hell! I was working on whole airframes!

Don, that's the first I've seen of Gerald's spring setup. Looks like it would work like a charm. With the layout of the OIII hatches it'll be easy to access.

I agree about the tape residue issue. What I do on my models is lay down a permanent layer of tape, usually clear stuff that really sticks on the fuse and at all wingroots. Then tape over that with the 3M vinyl stuff. saves the covering and can be cleaned or removed as needed.

I made the root fairings on Wylie's Oly 3/8" on each side so that there would be a surface to tape to. However, what you are planning sounds great, plus when you get the seams perfect there will be the "wow" factor when put together.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 02, 2009, 07:27 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
I was looking at your fairings earlier Sean, they're perfect. That is one beautiful Oly you built for Wylie. The red and white is very stunning...you know I'm a sucker for it. Yes, there's something to tape to there. GD did the same on his, it's a great solution for the OlyIII.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 07:34 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Gerald, PM sent
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:00 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
You are all overweight, and lazy- a little bit of tape is to much trouble, pah its a disgrace!!@!!

Seriously though Don, yours is a neat looking spoiler installation (grovel grovel ) and she's looking better all the time. Just hope the weather lets you get a fly in during winter, that snow doesn't sound so great.

heck, its been 8 years since I've even seen snow. We are lucky to get 6 inches of rain a year lately around here, let alone snow- to close to the equator.

Keep on keeping on dudes, never mind my ramblings I'm just getting old and grumpy.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:51 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,033 Posts
Been longer than that since I've seen snow but we had 6" of rain last night, or close to it. Warm here right now but this area is flooded. After it finished flooding the wind picked up fast. I AM ALREADY READY FOR SUMMER!
Old Dec 02, 2009, 09:01 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
You are all overweight, and lazy- a little bit of tape is to much trouble, pah its a disgrace!!@!!

Seriously though Don, yours is a neat looking spoiler installation (grovel grovel ) and she's looking better all the time. Just hope the weather lets you get a fly in during winter, that snow doesn't sound so great.

heck, its been 8 years since I've even seen snow. We are lucky to get 6 inches of rain a year lately around here, let alone snow- to close to the equator.

Keep on keeping on dudes, never mind my ramblings I'm just getting old and grumpy.
LMAO...Old and grumpy? You're in your prime dude . But as they say "It's not the years, it's the miles". Well, I gotta lotta miles, actually, I'm due for a tune up soon...I hate tune ups .

6" of rain a year is nothing but at least you're coastal so there's some mid range rh I would imagine? Man, we've had 6" in an hour before. Hope you get some good weather also. Recipe for Steve>> Steady 7mph breeze, Patches on the Hi-Start, 500', off the hook, up she goes . Crap, I gotta get busy
Old Dec 02, 2009, 09:05 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Been longer than that since I've seen snow but we had 6" of rain last night, or close to it. Warm here right now but this area is flooded. After it finished flooding the wind picked up fast. I AM ALREADY READY FOR SUMMER!
I've been ready for summer since October.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Dec 03, 2009, 11:00 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Yeah.... Next time keep your storm to yourselves Sean. We were already 11-12 inches over normal for this year and we just got another 4 inches. Rivers are hitting flood stages yet again and now they're calling for a freeze warning in parts of Georgia. NOT exactly what I'd be calling thermaling weather to say the least.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Dec 03, 2009, 12:44 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Yeah.... Next time keep your storm to yourselves Sean. We were already 11-12 inches over normal for this year and we just got another 4 inches. Rivers are hitting flood stages yet again and now they're calling for a freeze warning in parts of Georgia. NOT exactly what I'd be calling thermaling weather to say the least.
Wussy!
Old Dec 03, 2009, 07:58 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
-11 F ! degrees here tonight [Windchill]! Glad I don't live in Siberia. Almost enough to shock me back into the REAL world.

The Borg will be back in town tomorrow with pics of his killer Woodchuck build for me to post and comment. We will probably go to our local (HA!) hobby shop to stock up on building stuff since the weather forecast looks bad for flying.

I bought my X-mas present to self earlier this week and that will be part of the story for next year, this building season, but the OLY 3 will be totally finished and ready to fly [and documented here] before We begin any new projects

Wherever you may be, Happy Holidays! Special wishes to atmos, who started this thread for us all.

Back soon ....bot
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:07 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Wow, I'll take 35 and love it! What'd you buy GD, c'mon and spill it, inquiring minds want to know?
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:20 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,746 Posts
I was out today between Vaughn and Ft Sumner, NM... and we had about 6" of snow... and we had 15mph winds... and the highest temp I saw out there was 19 degrees (f)... and we were on towers all day... and I'm cold...

But I came home this evening about 7:30 after leaving this morning at 5:30... ... to the news that the Journey ribs are cut and will ship tomorrow... to my house... ... not yours... ...

When the prototypes are done and flying, I'll let you know about wheather I'm up for the kit business or not...

Darth of the dark side...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman