Far out!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2009, 05:28 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
NARCS meeting....10/23/09

Several things about this plan attracted me when I first looked at it. 30 inches. S3014 (which I had just done on my LOLY 3 (sp?) D-box leading edge AND trailing edge! etc.

As usual, most of my decisions have down sides. This rule of dumb thumb held true in this case also. The parts are tiny, tedious and tricky! (WHINE, whine, whine me?) At the beginning of our meeting the BORG didn't think pre-sanding the bottom T.E. piece bevel was a necessarily good idea. He almost convinced me it was not such a useful idea but we decided to try one on MY! kit, and he would observe before deciding. LOL!

Someone, I believe it was atmos, pointed out on this thread that it is probably a lot smarter idea to pre-sand the bevel. I was HOT to try that since I hadn't thought of that before my OLY 3 build. Well, yes and no. I mean, on 1/32 inch thick sheeting?!!??! Roger almost convinced me that I was getting a little OC (obsessive, compulsive) but we decided to try one (on MY KIT! of course) Success! the borg was convinced that it WAS worth the effort.

This is going to be a challenging build ( I mean REALLY!, built up trailing edge D-box with 1/32 sheeting?! The guy who designed this is a sadist, give me a break! ) ! So, Roger and I have decided to build our identical plan planes completely differently. He with a lot of Gorilla Glue etc. etc., and me with different spars and glues and assembly order. I am fairly sure we are both wrong, but we will see if we can both finish the plane and if they both fly really good.

Then we moved on to solving the problems of the Universe. Solving the problems of the World is SO last century. I will summarize our conclusions in a later post.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Oct 25, 2009, 03:30 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
flying for Ollie

Hi BotandBorg, cool pics guys. Lets hope the newbies of the future browse this thread and find all these neat techniques and ideas that are peppered within it. Shikes, we should do an index for the thread sometime.

Finally got some flying in today, and well overdue. Perfect day with 10-12 knot coastal northerlies made for lively flying. Patches had only one flight today, but it was typically eventful . It hit a fat, weird behaving thermal straight of the line, but this one was bizzare, patches was flashing around the sky at a frightful speed for a woodie, its odd how that can happen at times, its like the glider is stuck in fast forward while spiraling up here and then spiraling up there and being jolted about willy nilly and generally darting around the sky like its got a motor bolted to it.

Then half a dozen white Royal Spoonbills came flapping in from out of the west to join my fun, and i cursed myself for not having the camera at hand for the days first flight, I reckon Ray would have loved that image.
Then, something atmospherically bizzare and striking happened... the thermal i had been riding up to about 1000 feet hit the bottom of a small cumulus passing overhead at around 2000 feet, and it just ripped this cloud apart!! I kid you not folks, this weird and berzerk thermal just demolished half of this cloud right before my eyes in a matter of one minute, i could liken it a little to the effect chopper rotor vortex has on clouds- that swirling effect. It was enough to make me hold my breath while I got the O3 right the hell oughta there and further upwind. Watching that cloud get ripped up, I could picture Patches getting sucked up towards it and then blown to pieces by winds that must have been twisting well above gale force. It'd give a bloke the heeby geebies.
38 minutes was enough of that sort of thing so we set up for a flaperon assisted landing which was not my best ever effort, I confess. But it wasn't harsh or overly jolty either, so you may understand my surprise when Patches displayed its annoyance with me by shredding the guts of the rudder servo! -This was an 85BB servo i rebuilt after the big dive into the ground a while back, so I'm only pleased that it crapped its guts on a landing and not during a launch.

After that i flew the 2m little bird. Have i mentioned that the SBAT LB2m is now my all time favorite wood sailplane? I can't speak highly enough of this glider, thanks Ray.
The sight of a 2m RE glider doing inverted loops, inverted spins and all manner of aerobatic tomfoolery is enough to cheer up any aeromodeller, its quite a remarkable little thing for just a RE glider, unbustable.

So, after getting home at midday i set out to visit my mate Steve Raskin and his goodies hangar out at Howard for a new 81MG rudder sevo for the Oly, taking a diversion to the slope to fly the flying strawberry, Numeric, along the way. Steve is going to cut a new 60" set of wing cores for a larger more developed version of the Numeric aerobatic slope ship. he wasn't lloking all to flash and i'm a little worried for him, but he still flies each Sunday and has an extensive backlog of build and repair orders as well as all the usual retail stuff, the bloke is a diamond.
His old dog bit me on the leg as i rode my bike into the property, as usual, the mad old bitch cattle dog.

Thats about it for my ramblings today, hows it going elsewhere out there in the world of hurtling wood?

Don, you are so going to love flying that Sweep O3, it'll blow your socks off mate, and give you a sore neck for free in the process, be prepared, be very prepared...

EDIT; Ohh! i just checked, who will bag the 1000th photo attachment to this thread? 1000 pictures, some of them even feature glider stuff.
Last edited by atmosteve; Oct 25, 2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:57 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Howdy fellers

Have been in Ft. Worth for my #1 granddaughter's wedding but I have been keeping up with the posts here. Came back with a dang cold and am trying to get rid of it. One less for you to worry about down there Don.

Steve
Your shot of the vertical launch on the LB is so typical. My first one scared hell out of me, but I went with the flow. It was totally unexpected on my maiden.
Very happy that you recovered Patches after the blown servo. Lucky.

Glad to see that Darth's grey matter is still functioning. Choosing to bypass the big zappers was very logical. By the way, congrats on the finishes, amigo.

Winter is rearing its ugly head up here. Winds are up and temps are down so flying is going to be sparse. Sure need to get back out there with the JDLB after looking at all the fun Steve has been having.

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Oct 25, 2009, 04:04 PM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Hi BotandBorg, cool pics guys. Lets hope the newbies of the future browse this thread and find all these neat techniques and ideas that are peppered within it. Shikes, we should do an index for the thread sometime.

Finally got some flying in today, and well overdue. Perfect day with 10-12 knot coastal northerlies made for lively flying. Patches had only one flight today, but it was typically eventful . It hit a fat, weird behaving thermal straight of the line, but this one was bizzare, patches was flashing around the sky at a frightful speed for a woodie, its odd how that can happen at times, its like the glider is stuck in fast forward while spiraling up here and then spiraling up there and being jolted about willy nilly and generally darting around the sky like its got a motor bolted to it.

Then half a dozen white Royal Spoonbills came flapping in from out of the west to join my fun, and i cursed myself for not having the camera at hand for the days first flight, I reckon Ray would have loved that image.
Then, something atmospherically bizzare and striking happened... the thermal i had been riding up to about 1000 feet hit the bottom of a small cumulus passing overhead at around 2000 feet, and it just ripped this cloud apart!! I kid you not folks, this weird and berzerk thermal just demolished half of this cloud right before my eyes in a matter of one minute, i could liken it a little to the effect chopper rotor vortex has on clouds- that swirling effect. It was enough to make me hold my breath while I got the O3 right the hell oughta there and further upwind. Watching that cloud get ripped up, I could picture Patches getting sucked up towards it and then blown to pieces by winds that must have been twisting well above gale force. It'd give a bloke the heeby geebies.
38 minutes was enough of that sort of thing so we set up for a flaperon assisted landing which was not my best ever effort, I confess. But it wasn't harsh or overly jolty either, so you may understand my surprise when Patches displayed its annoyance with me by shredding the guts of the rudder servo! -This was an 85BB servo i rebuilt after the big dive into the ground a while back, so I'm only pleased that it crapped its guts on a landing and not during a launch.

After that i flew the 2m little bird. Have i mentioned that the SBAT LB2m is now my all time favorite wood sailplane? I can't speak highly enough of this glider, thanks Ray.
The sight of a 2m RE glider doing inverted loops, inverted spins and all manner of aerobatic tomfoolery is enough to cheer up any aeromodeller, its quite a remarkable little thing for just a RE glider, unbustable.

So, after getting home at midday i set out to visit my mate Steve Raskin and his goodies hangar out at Howard for a new 81MG rudder sevo for the Oly, taking a diversion to the slope to fly the flying strawberry, Numeric, along the way. Steve is going to cut a new 60" set of wing cores for a larger more developed version of the Numeric aerobatic slope ship. he wasn't lloking all to flash and i'm a little worried for him, but he still flies each Sunday and has an extensive backlog of build and repair orders as well as all the usual retail stuff, the bloke is a diamond.
His old dog bit me on the leg as i rode my bike into the property, as usual, the mad old bitch cattle dog.

Thats about it for my ramblings today, hows it going elsewhere out there in the world of hurtling wood?

Don, you are so going to love flying that Sweep O3, it'll blow your socks off mate, and give you a sore neck for free in the process, be prepared, be very prepared...

EDIT; Ohh! i just checked, who will bag the 1000th photo attachment to this thread? 1000 pictures, some of them even feature glider stuff.
atmosteve: Simply BEAUTIFUL!!!
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Old Oct 25, 2009, 04:20 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,639 Posts
Steve,

What is all that blue stuff in your 2mLB photos ?? I am totally envious of your weather, I had to whupp everybody in our club's 2M contests today under cloudy, cold, gray skys with my 2M Lil Bird. I love mine too, I out launched everyone today, I love to put it into a huge zoom off the tow.

Enjoy ...

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:26 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,201 Posts
Quote:
I'll give it a shot, My newly refurbished Super Esprit, my Aquila XL and Aquila.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Well Steve, the way you and Ray and Gerald rant about the 2mLB, it may be my next. I can tell by your build pics that it'll take the pressure of a hard launch. I've seen low clouds part before like you described. It's probably a darn good thing that you exited stage left. I think it's not just rising air, it's probably the peak of the column and the outer edges are rolling. It could have caused some major laundry marking .

Hey Mr. G, sorry to hear you got the stupid crud already , you be careful with it! My daughter came back positive with h1n1 early last week and it took the wind right out of her sail I'm here to tell ya. They put her on Tamiflu asap and it really helped to kick it's butt, she's much better now.

Decided to take a little break and just do some piddling. Thought I'd start a little wang tip forming so I could just sit in the garage and enjoy. I like the looks of the turned up tips on the O2 and the ones that Froggy put on his Marauder. I'm sure that it's niether here nor there as to performance. I marked it up and got the PermaGritters after it. This is what I have so far. I don't want to flare it too thin cause I want some meat out on the tip...specially the way I fly .

Cheers Guys
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Last edited by dwells; Oct 25, 2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:09 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler
I'll give it a shot, My newly refurbished Super Esprit, my Aquila XL and Aquila.

Joe
Joe,

Your Aquila XL has to be one the most beautiful planes I've ever seen! What a monster...very nice...

Don
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:41 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Don, those wingtips are super sweet, i'm aroused by them!
Gerald, hope you get over that virus soon! and yep you can't but help love a lil bird, any more pics of the JDLB2? it must look a treat when airborne.

Great pics, guys. Joe, like Don said.
lol- thats not a woodie... now this, is a woodie..
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:20 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Don, those wingtips are super sweet, i'm aroused by them!
Gerald, hope you get over that virus soon! and yep you can't but help love a lil bird, any more pics of the JDLB2? it must look a treat when airborne.

Great pics, guys. Joe, like Don said.
lol- thats not a woodie... now this, is a woodie..
LMAO, I'll send you one in a plain brown wrapper
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:45 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Joe... I really think it's in poor taste to show off those super-sized models that aren't available to the rest of us... OK... not really... Nice stuff you have there......

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:48 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
That gaggle photo reminds me of the Region 10 Soaring Championships at Littlefield, Texas in 1991. I was at the top of a gaggle, being the first tow of the contest, with 24 other sailplanes below me in the thermal... This is extremely beautiful, but not very comfortable... I.E. this has a VERY HIGH pucker factor.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:55 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Don
Lookin' good! Those tips can mean a lot when you give them a 10 to 15 degree tilt. Besides, it helps keep them out of the grass or dirt.
I would highly recommend that you start saving the sheckles for a Lil' Bird!
I'm so damned envious of Steve and his blue skies down yonder that I'm suffering from withdrawal pains. My JDLB needs to be in the AIR!!! Also, I need to get some kickin' pics of that dude in the air. I mentioned that the color combo shouts......well, I'll get the pics to prove it when David and I can get out there.

Darth
Don't split your shorts, pard. If you get to dreaming about your old gliders you may have to buy another one....and you know how those bony knuckles are gonna' feel.

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:18 PM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Just out of curisity, Why is the Lil bird so much more popular then the Big bird. I would have thought that the 100" model would be the most popular.

Highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier