Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 09, 2009, 09:12 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Right ON, Dude! U Da Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl
GD, Sig still has a 25-pack of 1/16 x 1/8th x 36 spruce sticks for 11.99 (plus shipping, of course). Go to http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig They don't have the easiest menu in the world to navigate, though. On the Left side of the page, go to building equipment (yeah, I know it would make sense to call it material, but what do I know?), then wood, and then spruce. They don't offer the 48-inch lengths in that small of a size, but they still have the 36-inch sticks.

Nightowl
I love RCGroups
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2009, 09:16 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDbot
I love RCGroups
You got it!
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 09, 2009, 10:33 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Steve
You ARE the man!
Those pictures of Mr. and Mrs. Darth are a hoot!!!
I can see Jack having that enlarged so he can put it on his shop wall.
You have made my day.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Oct 09, 2009, 11:58 PM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Wood to really DROOL over!!!

http://www.priester.net/Sitka/
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:45 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDbot
No spar notches yet because the spar on the plans is supposed to be 1/16 x 1/8 spruce. Didn't have any, couldn't even find any online, so I decided to make some .007 Carbon fiber sheet and balsa ones for the Borg and my kits. I cut a 9/16 strip of some left over CF stuff and CA'ed it to some 1/16 balsa, then stripped it down to 1/8 inch wide spars. I did my best but there is a little variation, so I left the step of spar notches until the fitting of the ribs. Interestingly, the CA/CF/balsa spars turned out to be lighter than some comparison pieces of hard balsa 1/16 by 1/8.
Nice GD, way to create from stuff you have! Laminate it, angle it, sand it down, make it work...right own mang
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 10, 2009, 02:41 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2
I'm going to be out of pocket here for a bit, and I cannot let this slide by.

Our esteemed "El Jefe," "Amigo," "Darth Vader from the Dark Side," and all knowing spreader of bovine scatology....(whew!!) is having his annual renewal of life this coming Monday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PARD!!!
Thanks, everyone, for the birthday wishes...

Gerald... How'n the heck did you know that I'd be celebrating the 19th anniversary of my 39th birthday on Monday?

Darth
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:30 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
I don't know how important it is to cycle battery packs but I've read you should periodically. I use standard NiCd Square 4.8V 500mAh packs for RX. I asked the Russians out at work about it and they came back with this. They said just plug it in and monitor it with a DVM and you got a home brew discharger. They said about once a month bring it down to about .2V then charge it back up and you'll get the best life out of the pack. I guess????
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:24 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
Well, thats one way to go!!

You are a brave man, Don. These days i wouldn't use anything less than 800mAh NiMh's at the recieving end, however the NiCads have more predictable discharge behaviour than nimh packs, and they do need more cycling. Over the past two years I've played with nicads, nimh's and lipo's quite a bit, so i had to get a couple of all singing and dancing intelligent cell balancing chargers. You are looking at spending up to a few hundred dollars for them, but... considering the amount of time we spend on a build, I consider them to be cheap insurance.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:45 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
Just as an ammendment to the above post, any of my gliders that are thermalers and have more than two servo's get 4xAA 2000mAh eneloop packs. When your O3 has been actively flying for almost 2 hours at all altitudes then they start to make good sense.
Last edited by atmosteve; Oct 12, 2009 at 03:13 AM. Reason: 2000mAh, not 1200mAh !!!
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:51 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Just as an ammendment to the above post, any of my gliders that are thermalers and have more than two servo's get 4xAA 1200mAh eneloop packs. When your O3 has been actively flying for almost 2 hours at all altitudes then they start to make good sense.
Well, with my Wanderer I have 2 hs-55 servos, and a 4 cell 1700mah NiMH pack. I used to fly on a 600mah NiCd pack, but I was too nervous to keep it up for more than 15min.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Oct 10, 2009, 07:23 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
Lol, TD, yep, you is insured, matey.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 09:22 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
I won't turn this into a battery discussion but I won't fly anything (excluding DLGs) with less than 2000 Mah. I have moved over to Eneloops on almost all of my stuff. Same size as the other ratings but a lot more insurance. I hvae 2500s plus backups for my txs.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 09:32 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola
I won't turn this into a battery discussion but I won't fly anything (excluding DLGs) with less than 2000 Mah. I have moved over to Eneloops on almost all of my stuff. Same size as the other ratings but a lot more insurance. I hvae 2500s plus backups for my txs.
2500mah?

I've got a 2s 2000mah pack for my SD-10G and it lasts all day easily. What tx do you use?
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Oct 11, 2009, 07:35 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDisaster
2500mah?

I've got a 2s 2000mah pack for my SD-10G and it lasts all day easily. What tx do you use?

Hi TD,

I used 2500s when I had 10Xs and currently use the same size in m 9303 and 7202.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 01:47 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Hell, now I'm nervous! Greenie Weenie here!!! All I've ever flown is this Tower NiCd pack. Fly it all day in my Spirit, guess I've been pushin it . I'll look into something more robust.