Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 09, 2009, 02:04 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Glue Shmearin

Thought I'd throw this out. Don't know what you fellas use to smear glue but here's my tools. Just plastic from those blister-pack packaging used on many products. I just cut em up into little rectangles to shmear glue and then throw it out with the pot.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2009, 03:31 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Not me!

Don
You're apparently much more patient than I. Any time I try to open those damned things I wind up tearing the devil out of them.
However, that is an excellent idea. I'm not getting many offers of credit cards any more so when my old present ones give up I'll try to restrain myself and save a blister pack or two.
I see that you're STILL getting rain down there.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is online now Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Oct 09, 2009, 03:42 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Historical Information

I'm going to be out of pocket here for a bit, and I cannot let this slide by.

Our esteemed "El Jefe," "Amigo," "Darth Vader from the Dark Side," and all knowing spreader of bovine scatology....(whew!!) is having his annual renewal of life this coming Monday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PARD!!!
Oldcoot2 is online now Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Oct 09, 2009, 03:50 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
On vacation...building!

Some guys have all the good luck ... ENJOY

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Oct 09, 2009, 04:09 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Yep, just cut em opem easy Gerald and save what you can, works great. Spose to dry up...great, just relammed my spars .

A heartfelt HAPPY BIRTHDAY from HEB there Jack, hope you have a good one!!

Thanks Ray, it's all about my Oly this vaca, this ones mine .

Cheers All!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 09, 2009, 05:39 PM
mods are *****
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
I can see a look of concern registering on GD's face already Don, that'll give him a bit of a fright..

Neat plastic spreader thingy's there dude, I usually end up using any old scrap i have at hand for that delightful task.

Happy birthday for Monday Sir Darth, i hope you and Mrs Darth get a fine day and get to do something enjoyable.

Well, I'm going flying in half an hour, to dust off those woodies. Don's building, Ray's kitting, I'm flying, Jack is probably Darthing and I imagine Gerald could be 'cooting, the outlook for the weekend seems pretty good.

Have a good one fellahs.
steve.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Oct 09, 2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2009, 06:01 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Happy birthday Jack! Take that cake outside in the open before you light all of those candles. Wouldn't want to burn the house and shop down.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 09, 2009, 06:19 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
I can see a look of concern registering on GD's face already Don, that'll give him a bit of a fright..

Neat plastic spreader thingy's there dude, I usually end up using any old scrap i have at hand for that delightful task.

Have a good one fellahs.
steve.

It did!!!! But I think I have another excuse or two in reserve if I need them. Good Luck dwells! I only have a few hours of prettifying left to do on the OLY, plus balancing, but I have let this little Woodchuck get in the way a bit lately. Nice idea on epoxy spreaders, I like looking for ways to re-purpose stuff that I might otherwise just throw away. Good eye Mate!

Whew!!I managed to get a set of outboard wing panel ribs cut for my plane and Roger's. Had to cut the rest of the templates and then cut 4 of each rib. Tiny little devils, but I got better technique as I learned along the way. I hate that! Always makes me want to re-do my first attempts. I'll post a pic in a minute or two.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Oct 09, 2009, 06:22 PM
mods are *****
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
GD, Cool1 !

While you are at it, make up another set of components for me please if you like, I'm really warming to the idea of the WOODCHUCK, want to build one for me too? I'll pay for shipping of the little squirt here to Aus.

The weather here has turned all sour in the last hour, so i'm grounded, bummer
Old Oct 09, 2009, 06:38 PM
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
Atmostever! Do you ever sleep, I notice you online sometimes when I wake up at 3 AM here. Aren't you on the other side of the world? You are my inspiration for trying to build so many sailplanes lately, seems like you are building something new to fly every other week. For you, I would consider making a SHORT kit of the Woodchuck since I now have templates of all the major pieces. We better wait to see how long it takes for me to put together this plane up to my standards before we commit to a full built ARF or RTF to send around the world. ( MY standards don't mean that it will fly any better, just that I agonize over the process, hoping to make a clean build. After about a dozen planes in the last 20 years or so, they are STARTing to get a little better, maybe.) bot
Old Oct 09, 2009, 06:45 PM
mods are *****
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Yep I'll wait 'till after Rog and you get to fly yours first and sort it out GD, then I'd be happy to buy a short kit from you. This model would be perfect for those really light days at the slope when everything else is falling from the sky, and maybe with a little work perhaps as a DLG. GD, is the borg intending to swing the WC up into the sky? I don't know much about DLG, never done it.

Please keep the pics and build details coming mate, i'm just ambling about the house today doing odd jobs seeming I can't fly. And yep, i sure do sleep!
Old Oct 09, 2009, 06:55 PM
mods are *****
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Woodchucking

GD, is this how the little devil will look after your wittling?

The fuse in this pic looks wider than on the plan? or maybe its an illusion.

Edit; in fact I might ask for two of them if you are still willing to carve out a short kit later on GD, one of these would be good for my Dad due to its size and relative strength. He and my Mum are grey nomad travellers and this glider would fit easy into their Van.
Last edited by atmosteve; Oct 09, 2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2009, 07:01 PM
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
No spar notches yet because the spar on the plans is supposed to be 1/16 x 1/8 spruce. Didn't have any, couldn't even find any online, so I decided to make some .007 Carbon fiber sheet and balsa ones for the Borg and my kits. I cut a 9/16 strip of some left over CF stuff and CA'ed it to some 1/16 balsa, then stripped it down to 1/8 inch wide spars. I did my best but there is a little variation, so I left the step of spar notches until the fitting of the ribs. Interestingly, the CA/CF/balsa spars turned out to be lighter than some comparison pieces of hard balsa 1/16 by 1/8.

I have not quite figured out how to glue the spars to the sheeting yet, since I am not really happy with CA glue much lately, too hard to control, etc. Carpenter glue, (Titebond) will NOT! glue CA to balsa, according to a little experiment I did a while ago. So I am leaning towards careful application of a tiny bit of epoxy or polyurethane. Probably epoxy at this point.

I don't think I will be able to start this build for about two weeks as I have to go check on Mom and DAD and other Sis tomorrow or Sunday for about 10 days. Maybe the Borg will make some progress and finally join RCGroups to post some pics. (Don't hold your breath, cross your fingers) Be Seeing You!! the bot
Old Oct 09, 2009, 08:13 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
HAPPY B-DAY JACK!!!! Let's hope that B-day elves bring you lots of kits or other R/C goodies.

GD Ya have to remember Steve is down in Oz PLUS on the other side of the big blue. That time difference will mess with the brain. Just remember... They think the top of the map shows SOUTH down there.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Oct 09, 2009, 08:20 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,191 Posts
GD, Sig still has a 25-pack of 1/16 x 1/8th x 36 spruce sticks for 11.99 (plus shipping, of course). Go to http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig They don't have the easiest menu in the world to navigate, though. On the Left side of the page, go to building equipment (yeah, I know it would make sense to call it material, but what do I know?), then wood, and then spruce. They don't offer the 48-inch lengths in that small of a size, but they still have the 36-inch sticks.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl