Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 06, 2009, 09:38 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. The warp is opposite that you had Steve. They've been sitting around for 10 months and is as Ray described. Tried the iron trick but would lay flat for less than an hour and back to warped. I went ahead and delaminated one of them and the wood layed totally flat. I'll just clean up the carbon and relaminate them. A little set back but I'd rather work with something reasonable .

Cheers!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2009, 09:41 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
I thought I would post a little update to keep from getting rusty. I am taking off in a couple days for a Repair and Maintenance Visit to Mom and Dad and Sister's. Last time I didn't post for a couple of weeks, I forgot how to download the pics from the camera and then find them on my computer. (And hit the Save Changes button before posting!)

I have always been attracted by the IDEA of building a plane from a set of plans. Cut ALL the parts, get ALL the hardware accumulated, etc. Roger (the Borg) was looking around for a good, little. plane to build while he is on the road that he can fly while he is on the road. This little 30 inch wingspan WOODCHUCK we found plans for on a different thread here on RCG fit the bill.

I have made templates out of some Formica leftovers for the fuse, and main wing panel rib templates out of 5/32 aluminum I had laying around also. All those parts have been cut out for a kit for each of us, and I have the templates for future REPAIRS! or kits if we so choose.

Over the last couple days I finished my fuse to 90 percent or so, and made the rest of my wing kit, except for the outer wing ribs. (The outer wing ribs still have me a little stumped because of the size of the parts,........ what is the easiest way considering the size, what is the least aggravating method? 2/56 threaded rods, or smaller (that I don't have on hand and can't find locally) so I can sandwich to the tiny outer template that I have sawn and sanded for the outmost template, or individual aluminum templates (or formica or plywood? Both options feel painful to my imagination, so I haven't committed myself yet and those ribs are the last thing that remains to be done on my kit assembly.

So I cut out all the wing sheeting little parts, cap strip stock, 3/16 square leading edge stock, gusset pieces, 1/8 dowel for the front wing attachment (didn't have one, made one out of some 1/8 square basswood, rolling it around in some sandpaper), found a 4/40 nylon screw, threw it all in organized plastic bags. Most of the process was quite rewarding and satisfying.

I have a digital weighing scale that resolves down to a tenth of a gram, and up to two kilos, so I had quite a bit of fun weighing and making decisions. One interesting surprise was a piece of C grain 1/32 sheet that I wanted to use for the center turned out to be much lighter than a light colored piece of sheet material that I thought would be used for the outer panel sheeting. The light color stuff was MUCH lighter, so my pretty C-grain bits will be the outer DBox and built up trailing edge sheeting and capstrips. Another little surprise was that one ( narrow) side of the sheet was often quite a bit heavier than the other, front to back, so I had to choose the heavier for the top piece, for strength.

This promises to be a challenging build (and therefore interesting, engaging.) The tiny pieces and careful gluing make me think the designer must have come from a lot of free flight and indoor experience (DBox Trailing Edge,too.) I think I may have trouble achieving the design weight of 3.8 ounces ( 107 grams? ), but I think I can get close. I am struggling to keep my modding desires under control.

I sure do appreciate the kit makers a lot more now, THANK YOU SKYBENCH! And all the other kit makers out there! This has been a wonderful, educational experience for me and my buddy Roger, doing the plan printing, parts making, etc., so I surely don't understand why some people don't see the service and value the kit makers are giving to us, as expressed on another thread here on RCG. (I want a Bubble Dancer kit, and another Skybench and...........enough time to build them all.) Oh well, enough of my rant of the moment. Thank you all, Thank you RCGroups!

Respectfully submitted,

the bot

(LOL, let's remember to have fun here)
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Oct 07, 2009, 09:48 PM
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
Where's the Pics???!!!!????

Which button did I forget to punch?
Old Oct 08, 2009, 06:08 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,642 Posts
I forgot how to download the pics from the camera and then find them on my computer.

The BOT ...

I can relate to that

Take care all and enjoy the USA building season, it is Spring time for Steve.

Global warming ... the hummingbirds are still passing thru my back yard here in Northern Indiana.

Pull Pull rudder control pic, great way to save tail weight, meaning less nose weight required to balance. Pull Pull systems are availabe from Sullivan Products.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Oct 08, 2009, 09:58 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Nice looking fuse there GD. What's up with Oly???

Don
Old Oct 08, 2009, 10:42 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDbot
Over the last couple days I finished my fuse to 90 percent or so, and made the rest of my wing kit, except for the outer wing ribs. (The outer wing ribs still have me a little stumped because of the size of the parts,........ what is the easiest way considering the size, what is the least aggravating method? 2/56 threaded rods, or smaller (that I don't have on hand and can't find locally) so I can sandwich to the tiny outer template that I have sawn and sanded for the outmost template, or individual aluminum templates (or formica or plywood? Both options feel painful to my imagination, so I haven't committed myself yet and those ribs are the last thing that remains to be done on my kit assembly.

the bot

(LOL, let's remember to have fun here)
I'll tell ya, Bot.. in all honesty, when I am cutting ribs that are small, there are two main ways I go. If it's for a taper, I usually copy the ribs onto a sheet of paper, use some repositionable glue stick, and cut them out individually, cutting through the paper and the balsa at the same time. If they're the same size (for instance, for the Peck FA Moth), I make templates out of either 1/16th or 1/32nd plywood for both sides of a stack of "blanks," and instead of bolting them, I run two T-pins (one fore, one aft) all the way through. (Yes, you have to be careful, and no, I've never been careful enough not to stick myself at least once while stack sanding them.) I sorta cheat, though. Having a background in indoor free flight, I have some micro drill bits so I am not pushing the pins through the plywood (I have on 1/32nd, but that'd be tough on the fingers on 1/16th ply!). And I have a drill press stand for my moto-tool. I can chuck a pin in my tool in the stand, not turn it on, but use it to run my pin 90 degrees down through the stack. The pins usually stick out well enough past the templates on either side that I have a little "wiggle room," to kind of pull the pin points together if they're a wee bit off to get them through the holes, and the tension holds them tight enough that I can sand to my hearts content without dislodging them.

(Wow.. sorry this got so long. I didn't realize it'd take all that to explain it.)

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Oct 08, 2009, 11:17 AM
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
Thanks Nightowl. It's a tapered wing and I was leaning towards cutting them individually, but hadn't remembered the glue stick trick yet, probably wouldn't have remembered, I have been so dense lately. I'll give that a go. Do you cut more than one of the matching rib pairs at a time, or each one individually? I am going to try 4 of each, one set for me and one set for Roger, we'll see how that goes.

dwells, my OLY build is waiting for you to catch up. (That's my excuse for a couple more weeks, and I'm sticking to it. Can't launch it myself, have to wait for Roger the Borg to get back to town. That's my other excuse. Time flies whether you are having fun or not. ) Be seeing you my friends the bot

Nice pic Ray. I'll have to think about that some more.
Old Oct 08, 2009, 11:56 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
dwells, my OLY build is waiting for you to catch up. (That's my excuse for a couple more weeks, and I'm sticking to it. Can't launch it myself, have to wait for Roger the Borg to get back to town. That's my other excuse. Time flies whether you are having fun or not. ) Be seeing you my friends the bot
Understand GD. I'm on vacation next week so maybe I'll get a leg up...wish me luck .

Don
Old Oct 08, 2009, 12:08 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,235 Posts
Well, GD, with 4 of each rib for a tip panel, what are you talking? Twenty-four, twenty-eight ribs total? But.. only 4 of each. Unless you're planning on doing this again in the future for this same design, templates are a bit of a pain. At least the way I do them does; it takes longer to make the templates than to cut all the ribs. On the other hand, you could cut another set or two of ribs at the same time, 6 or 8 of each pattern, and have an extra "wing kit" ready to go anytime, for whatever reason. Crashed? "No problem, have another wing built by tomorrow. All I gotta do is glue it together." And depending on what wing plan/airfoil you're using, what's the possibility you can use these templates to cut the ribs for some other model? Especailly if you're using a popular flat-bottomed or "standard" airfoil (S3021, or EP205, for instance), with a range of templates for the main panels in whole or half inches, and a selection of "tip chord" templates, again, you can rip out a set of ribs in an hour. Don't like where the original spar or turbulator spars are? Don't cut them, just cut the blanks, then take off the templates, pin the stack back together square, make a line where you want the spar and use a razor saw or notching tool to cut them all at the same time. Voila! (The only time that doesn't work is when you're being fanatical and using a tapered spar, by the way! ) lol (Yes, I'm a big believer in templates to make life easier the second time around.)

Depending on how good you are at holding your knife edge 90 degrees to the work surface, cutting through two layers of contest balsa, you can cut two ribs at the same time through one paper template, but if the bottom sheet moves, you're If I go the paper template route, I cut them individually. If you're going 3/32nds or 1/8th for the ribs, I wouldn't even consider trying to cut two layers from one paper pattern.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Oct 08, 2009, 02:29 PM
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
Hey, way cool Nightowl. More tips to help me figure out how I am going to do this. I am going to be cutting 4 of each rib, a right and a left side for my plane, and a set for Roger. These little ribs are 1/16 thick, five different tapering lengths from about 3 1/2 inches to 4 3/4. The little one is already cut so I think I will just cut some 1/32 plywood templates for the others. Thanks.

Good luck dwells, but don't forget to make sure you are always having fun in the build.

Off to take care of a couple chores, then I will try to do the templates and cut some ribs.
Old Oct 08, 2009, 08:29 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
GD is the man!

Well, I'm playing internet nanny again today guys so i'm able to finally browse the net and catch up on stuff.

GD, thats some REAL building you are doing there, its easy to picture your work when you type it up so well. I can't add much to the Owl's suggestions, I usually end up finishing small parts like little ribs by hand with a sanding block, but a solid template is a good future resource though its a chore to knock up 4-5 different ones.

All the best on your trip away visiting your family, that can't be easy, you are a good man GD, the best.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 08, 2009, 08:33 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
dwells, my OLY build is waiting for you to catch up. (That's my excuse for a couple more weeks, and I'm sticking to it.

Thats so funny! , we could make a right proper joke of that situation, but that wouldn't be very polite now would it, but its tempting.

Fellahs, I've asked admin to remove the poll header from this thread now that its irrelevant, its kinda ticking me off. So, i've tried, I can't do anything with it myself.
Old Oct 08, 2009, 09:21 PM
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
Cutting out the tapering outer wing ribs was actually the part of this scratch build project that I was worrying about, and I was right. It is slightly tedious and painful. Each method had its shortcomings in my mind, but I chose the method of gluing the paper patterns, with some OLD 30 minute epoxy I had left around, to some 1/16 plywood. Then cut out the biggest template with a jeweler's saw close to the line and sand to final shape, harden the edge with CA glue and final polish with some fine sandpaper. Just a couple of seconds with 320 or 400 or 600 paper.

(My other sister turned me on to the jeweler saw many years ago and I have come to love it for certain tasks; with a little practice you can get VERY close to the line so little finish sanding is required.)

Even with a little experience, cutting through the balsa grain was disconcerting on the first rib. Amazing stuff, balsa. The blade likes to wander, even with several light cuts to go all the way through.

I had cut out the tiniest rib template a while back out of 1/8 aluminum when Rog and I were considering the possibility of stacking the balsa blanks between the templates and sanding. I used that to cut 4 ribs, 2 sets, of 2 little tiny baby ribs. My fingers are almost too big.

I was able to cut out the biggest outer template from the 1/16 ply today and cut two ribs. Still haven't decided if I prefer the ply or aluminum.
Old Oct 08, 2009, 09:47 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Thanks Ray for the pull-pull tip for gliders, i've never tried that method on a glider before but it doesn't take much imagination to figure the weight savings it offers, and that's always No.1 consideration over everything else, or it should be anyhows.
Old Oct 09, 2009, 01:46 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
On vacation...building!