Old Oct 03, 2009, 09:27 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
GD
How about YIPPEE!

Steve
How long are you going to go with the poll?
Wups....I see that it is closed.

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2009, 11:25 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Yup just finished. Thanks guys, Numeric it will be. One of these days I might get to build a proper 60" one.

Yippeee!!!!!!!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 04, 2009, 05:49 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
Please define bully lift... I have flown over certain other flyers knowing from the amount of bull they were putting out that there must be some of that hot air rising...

Sorry all... couldn't resist... Off to Ft. Worth for a staff meeting...

Jack
Bullying is repeated acts over time that involves a real or perceived imbalance of power (thermals) attacking those who are less powerful (our sailplanes) .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 04, 2009, 05:54 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Sanding...
Old Oct 04, 2009, 11:13 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Different Approach

I had a hard time with my first attempt at relieving the sheeting to comp for the .014" carbon caps. I redid my setup, moving forward and for the future, to cut these reliefs a little quicker and a lot more accurate. I built a new sanding tool with depth limiters and a easy sliding rig to keep it square. My son found a roll of ~80 grit adhesive backed abrasive that makes it easy to fashion these little buggers to do the job...takes it off fast.

Anyhoo, thought I'd post the rig, if for nothing else, than my future reference since I can't even remeber last Wednesday .

Cheers Guys!
Old Oct 04, 2009, 11:32 PM
Silent Wings
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Don
Fantastic! Very similar to my groove sander. However, you have blown me out of the water with your depth limiter. I just used a CF piece and slid it along the groove and sanded until I couldn't feel an edge. You rock, dude!
Gerald
Old Oct 05, 2009, 12:52 AM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
I had a hard time with my first attempt at relieving the sheeting to comp for the .014" carbon caps. I redid my setup, moving forward and for the future, to cut these reliefs a little quicker and a lot more accurate. I built a new sanding tool with depth limiters and a easy sliding rig to keep it square. My son found a roll of ~80 grit adhesive backed abrasive that makes it easy to fashion these little buggers to do the job...takes it off fast.

Anyhoo, thought I'd post the rig, if for nothing else, than my future reference since I can't even remeber last Wednesday .

Cheers Guys!
Simply marvelous
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Old Oct 05, 2009, 01:13 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
My D sheets will be sent to Don's man-cave in the future!
Old Oct 05, 2009, 10:37 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Yeah guys, send me your tube sheeting. I can do a groove every 2 beers and prefer a minimum of 6 sheets per production run .
Old Oct 05, 2009, 12:54 PM
Silent Wings
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Don
A 12 pack per production run? Not me fella! I'm goofier after 3, so I believe I will save the shipping cost and do my own.

I just HAD to do this to my flying hat. With my JD Bird hangar it would be sacrilege for me to not display my colors! (Have you tried sewing anything lately? Disaster!)
Gerald
Old Oct 05, 2009, 02:27 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Gerald
I think you should contact JD and shoot them some pics. You may wind up with a sponsorship proposal and some $$$ to play with . Nice job you did sewing the patch on...looks store bought.

An old boy was tearing ass down the highway after a few cocktails and was having a hard time keeping the Merc on the road. A cop pulls him over and says "Sir, have you been drinking, I noticed you were weaving". The old boy looks up at the cop with bloodshot eyes and says "I wasn't weaving occifer, shoot, I can't even sew"
Old Oct 05, 2009, 09:43 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
It's nasty, but I have sparwarpitis...it's a bad case . Steve, I know that you were diagnosed with it and you pulled through OK. Sit and wait or what? It's humid here and it's not gonna change for a while. I laminated these when it was very dry thus the warp . I can't lam this to my sheeting! Thinking...
Old Oct 05, 2009, 11:19 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,665 Posts
Hey Don? How about a steam iron and large, flat weights?

Hey Gerald? Sewing? Haven't you heard of 3M77 or Gorilla Glue?!?!?!?
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Oct 06, 2009, 02:25 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Hey Don, are the CF laminations on the inside of the warp? can't quite see in the pics.

I recall that Mark Drella suggested to me early in the thread that i could go ahead and use my bent spars because it would add some uniform pretension to the structure during assembly, which he thought could have been beneficial anyhow. But as you mentioned the capped spars straightened out in a matter of days during that crazy week of weather so i was lucky. The thing is that I had my 0.014" CF caps on the outside of the spar bow, not the inside. The CF in your already built wing has the caps on the outside.

I dunno mate. perhaps the kind of pretension these will give you could be a good thing? problem is it might also concievably introduce a slight warp to the wing panel too. Another crazy? option might be to build the wing with the Cf on the inside that wing, though i'm not certain of the difference in strength or flex properties this might give each wing. Tell you what though, i built my LB2 with the caps on the inside on each panel, and its a hard-ass, kick-ass take no prisoners wooden wing, so maybe the difference will be neut on the O3?

Ray warned us about warp problems that can occur over extended build times, I'm really sorry that this one has caught up with you Don, but it might not be a real problem at all in the end. Sorry I'm not much use to you here, I'd try what Hoss has suggested, perhaps you could even apply a little moisture if you fastened the CF caps with thick CA.
Old Oct 06, 2009, 08:39 AM
Silent Wings
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Hoss
NOW you tell me! At one time I was even considering duct tape.

Don
I agree with Hoss. Since your weather isn't going to change for a bit try the steam iron and weights. Either that or wait until next summer when things dry out. Hmmm...just thought of something else you have there. Have the spars join you in the hot tub!
Of course you could ship it up here in the dry country and I could build it for you.......but I get one hell of a lot more than a 12 pack for a production run!!
All BS aside, I had some warpage on mine also. I just did as Steve mentioned, put those suckers down, added the CF with epoxy, and left heavy weights on them for a couple of days. Seems to have worked for me....on both recent planes.

Gerald
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Oct 06, 2009 at 08:45 AM.