Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 02, 2009, 12:43 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Thanks GD, that's my plan. I have some honey-do's but want to get them knocked out ASAP and move forward on this starboard wing. I finally took Ray's advice and ordered the PermaGrit sanding bars from Wicks. They look like they'll really make some quick work out of sanding.

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2009, 07:53 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Don, leave those permagrits inside the packaging!

Really, save them for your Big Bird build later, if you start using them now you will be only kicking yourself that you didn't do so much earlier in your O3 build.

GD, that thing is gonna be so incredibly cute!

Gerald, i'm not surprised to hear of the JDLB2MSP's club accolade, just the fact that you carved out the JD logo makes it pretty special, congrats on that mate I'll bet she will be a gem to fly too.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 02, 2009, 09:02 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
TALLY HO!!! JDLBSP report

I was feeling pretty down yesterday when David and I got blown out for maidening the Lil' Bird.

Got up this morning and by dang the wind was down a bunch so we headed back to the field with high anxiety, for me at least. By the time we got there the wind had picked up to about 10mph and slightly higher at times.
I had had enough of putting off the event so I said "let's do it!"
I bolted it all up, checked the radio's range, control operation, and did a final CG verification and handed it to David. As I mentioned about the OlyIII he chunked the hell out of my beautiful, new bird! Let me tell you, my elevator was out of trim to beat the band and she was headed for the ground. I quickly corrected with up stick, and away she went! Other than the trim being off it was a cakewalk!!
After getting it back it was time for a tender winch launch. The wind was starting to gust a bit more, but I didn't care! That bird wanted to fly!!
Let me tell you, even with David pulsing the winch she climbed like a squirrel running up a tree with dogs after it. Wow! No evidence of flexing, just haul butt.....UP!
Very effective controls. The rudder is extremely good for corrections, and had the wind been more acceptable I feel that with thermals (it was cold!) I could have gotten some decent times in. Even with the wind picking up she penetrated fairly well. Let me tell you, that color scheme YELLS against our Texas skies.

So, all in all.....SUCCESS. I need to do some finalizing here and there, plus install rubber bands on the spoilers, make a 2 or 3 oz ballast pack to help her out in windy conditions then I'm ready to do some serious damage at our next contest. Whoopee!
I'll try to get some flight shots next go 'round.

Get with it Don! You're missing all the fun.

Ray, you definitely have another winner, pard.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Oct 02, 2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 09:23 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Congrats Gerald, sounds like another winner!
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 03, 2009, 01:05 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Way to go Gerald!!!! Yet another sky plow to rip up those Texas skies! I just want to know what you're going to plant in the furrows. Thermals maybe?
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Oct 03, 2009, 08:55 AM
Silent Wings
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
I'm gonna' give it one hell of a try, Jeff!!
Gerald
Old Oct 03, 2009, 12:33 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,639 Posts
Very beautiful 2M Lil Bird ... Congrats Gerald

"I need to do some finalizing here and there, plus install rubber bands on the spoilers, make a 2 or 3 oz ballast pack to help her out in windy conditions then I'm ready to do some serious damage at our next contest. Whoopee! "
__________________________________________________ _____________

Gerald,

I use the same rubber bands Dentist use for my spoilers, actually, I use the bands on my FF dethermalizers too. They seem to last forever.

I have great contest success with my 2M Lil Bird, hope you do too.

I use a four or eight oz ballast.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Oct 03, 2009, 01:06 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
AWESOME MR. G!!!!!!!!!!! I've always been told that a ship that looks good, usually flies good . I had no doubts about the JDLBSP, she's a beaut. A little calmer conditions and you'll get to find her sweet spot right off, I'm sure of it. I know, I must move forward!!! This is my daughters 18th BDay this weekend with lots of plans so I'm hung again but she's worth it. Congrats again Gerald, you ROCK!

No way Steve, I'm gonna use these sanders on my tips and LE's so I can get the feel of them. Ray says they last forever and that's how much time I have .

Bully Lift To All!!!!

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 03, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Please define bully lift... I have flown over certain other flyers knowing from the amount of bull they were putting out that there must be some of that hot air rising...

Sorry all... couldn't resist... Off to Ft. Worth for a staff meeting...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 03, 2009, 02:41 PM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2
I was feeling pretty down yesterday when David and I got blown out for maidening the Lil' Bird.

Got up this morning and by dang the wind was down a bunch so we headed back to the field with high anxiety, for me at least. By the time we got there the wind had picked up to about 10mph and slightly higher at times.
I had had enough of putting off the event so I said "let's do it!"
I bolted it all up, checked the radio's range, control operation, and did a final CG verification and handed it to David. As I mentioned about the OlyIII he chunked the hell out of my beautiful, new bird! Let me tell you, my elevator was out of trim to beat the band and she was headed for the ground. I quickly corrected with up stick, and away she went! Other than the trim being off it was a cakewalk!!
After getting it back it was time for a tender winch launch. The wind was starting to gust a bit more, but I didn't care! That bird wanted to fly!!
Let me tell you, even with David pulsing the winch she climbed like a squirrel running up a tree with dogs after it. Wow! No evidence of flexing, just haul butt.....UP!
Very effective controls. The rudder is extremely good for corrections, and had the wind been more acceptable I feel that with thermals (it was cold!) I could have gotten some decent times in. Even with the wind picking up she penetrated fairly well. Let me tell you, that color scheme YELLS against our Texas skies.

So, all in all.....SUCCESS. I need to do some finalizing here and there, plus install rubber bands on the spoilers, make a 2 or 3 oz ballast pack to help her out in windy conditions then I'm ready to do some serious damage at our next contest. Whoopee!
I'll try to get some flight shots next go 'round.

Get with it Don! You're missing all the fun.

Ray, you definitely have another winner, pard.

Gerald
Gerald, HuH RaH!!!!!!! me likeee, you sendee, me flyeee....... .... Very Nice Oldcooot.... on those windy days add a lilttle ballast she'll penetrate a litter better to boot.... me Likeee, you sendee, me flyeee....

Best Regards,

Wylie AKA The Coyote....

Getting ready to attach the tail feathers to my OLY III
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Oct 03, 2009, 03:41 PM
Silent Wings
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Wylie
Right on, dude! Stick the feathers to her. Won't be long til you're ploughing the skies with me. (Couldn't resist the Aussie lingo since Steve named my planes) Send us a pic and I will respond with, me likee, you sendee, me maideneee!

Don
Thanks. She is a dream. This might ought to be your next project. Get used to those sanders! I really appreciate mine.....good stuff.
Happy birthday to your daughter! Family first....always!

Jack
Uhhhh.....bully lift in a staff meeting, amigo?

Ray
Thanks for the ballast info. 4 and 8 oz it is! I made my own custom small rubber bands. Didn't have any real short ones so I took one, tied a knot one third of the way from each end then cut between the 2. Viola! 2 correct sized rubber bands. Yep, I'm cheap!

Gerald
Old Oct 03, 2009, 07:41 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Gerald,
They are a peach aren't they, prettiest 2m glider available I reckon. Sounds like you have a real winner there mate and I bet you do well at the comps with it, specially with the spoilers, have a chance yet to see how they work?

Nothing like maidening a new glider to cheer us up, especially a thermal magnet like the LB2m. Your pics make me want to fly mine again when I get home early this week, but first I have to remove the dust ballast from the wings lol.

Cheers mate,
steve.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 03, 2009, 07:52 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Had a maiden today at work. A Carl Goldberg Zipper FF modded for RC and EP. It was truly awesome to see that thing in the air. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. Flew great, gentle and turns nice and flat.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 03, 2009, 08:30 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
Random Post

HUMOR

I have been checking my biorhythms lately, for the heck of it, to help me time some things.

http://biorhythms.perbang.dk/

I noticed that I was probably at a low ebb, not depressed, just not in a particularly good mood. Then I remembered and felt remorseful that I have been remiss in my obligations to this thread. So here are some pics and commentary.

I decided to do an experiment, when I noticed a small gap between the bottom and side sheeting after glue up. Weighed the fuse and then I took a small paint brush and some carpenter glue, painted the glue in all the joint between bottom and side sheets. 22 grams before, 23 after. 1 gram of glue. After drying for about 2 hours it has lost three tenths of a gram. I will weigh it in the morning to see if any more weight has been lost. Don't bother clicking on the pics, Boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The point is that Rog the Borg and I are on a race to see who can make the lightest little Woodchuck, and I think I am behind, heavier, now. This is just a spur of the moment experiment, a spurmint exspearment, if you will.

I have been on a Jimi Hendrix revival over the last couple weeks here, intermixed with some music from my favorite local band that I have grown up with over the last 25 years.

[Major Lingo...U2b it]

OK gang, I am outta here for a while,...................
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Oct 03, 2009, 08:37 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
I forgot to mention, I want to vote again in the Poll. And I have grown attached to YIPPIE! Can we return this thread to YIPPIE! after this Poll is over please?
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot