Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:25 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Well after more research into the place It's just not going to do. Electricity is from solar panel/battery bank and isn't enough to run my shop equipment, So it's back to the oh so fun job of house hunting. It's a shame this one didn't work out. I really liked that place and I could have really fixed it up with a little (lot) of work.

As far as the winter weather in that area I'm not too worried about it. I've been in it before. Having a survival kit in my ride is normal for me. I have been told that it's also a good idea to carry a firearm on your property as well. Seems that bears and moose like to come a calling. Both can have an attitude at times. I think a 10MM auto loader would make a good attitude adjuster. Granted I don't like the thought of having to shoot an animal but I'd rather see them on the dinner table than myself.

So far the house hunting has only turned up tiny little lots. I want at least a couple of acres (10-15 max), a real house, not a trailer, and cable/power lines. I'll find one that fits the bill yet.

In the meantime... Let's get back to building talk here people! Enough of my (mis) adventures in the land of house hunting.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:05 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
Well after more research into the place It's just not going to do. Electricity is from solar panel/battery bank and isn't enough to run my shop equipment, So it's back to the oh so fun job of house hunting. It's a shame this one didn't work out. I really liked that place and I could have really fixed it up with a little (lot) of work.

As far as the winter weather in that area I'm not too worried about it. I've been in it before. Having a survival kit in my ride is normal for me. I have been told that it's also a good idea to carry a firearm on your property as well. Seems that bears and moose like to come a calling. Both can have an attitude at times. I think a 10MM auto loader would make a good attitude adjuster. Granted I don't like the thought of having to shoot an animal but I'd rather see them on the dinner table than myself.

So far the house hunting has only turned up tiny little lots. I want at least a couple of acres (10-15 max), a real house, not a trailer, and cable/power lines. I'll find one that fits the bill yet.

In the meantime... Let's get back to building talk here people! Enough of my (mis) adventures in the land of house hunting.

Have you considered Wyoming or are you set on Idaho? Living 10-15 miles outside (north) of Casper you can get a great place in the high desert with unlimited soaring potential, yet only be 20 mins from civilization.

Casper's a nice place. Just a thought.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:08 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Brrrr, Frogchief has put the fear of that place in me, sounds a little nippy in winter....

Yeah...it's great country, unspoiled and raw. I'd say Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado combined could be considered the 'American Outback.' A beautiful place to live but requires a bit more self-sufficiency than out in the (overpopulated) east.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:37 PM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
---------------snip out---------------------------
What sort of power do you need?
There are all sorts of ways to use inverters etc... and even flywheel takeoff generators.
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:30 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Thats a a shame Jeff, a fellah could do the grizzly Adams thing on a nice 15 acres like that. But i agree, some basic comforts like reliable electricity and a reasonable internet connection can make life a lot more comfortable, and safer, especially with weather prediction and other local situation warnings.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:52 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammicci14
So for all you woodie builders what glue do you use primarily? I am a new woodie builder and have been using ca. Seems a bit messy and slightly unforgiving at times. Open to hear your thoughts.
Hi Grammicci,

I just saw your question quoted above just now. Coincidently I just ran my mouth about the same subject in another thread so I cut and pasted my words here. Hope that doesn't break a rule but I'm lazy.

"Glues: I am avoiding CA like the plague. I won't go into a lecture on health issues here but for structural strength and weight my vote is for a good quality wood glue. I mentioned flutter a couple of posts back. Well, I've fluttered some woodies built with CA and others with wood glue. CA just seems too brittle and the stressed airframes built with it did not come through nearly as well as the wood glue examples. I've never broken a wood glue joint in flight but have a CAed one, and it wasn't a matter of bad, large gapped joints."

I really don't like CA anymore. It's good to have around and does have it's uses but for basic bonding wood glue is the way to go.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:06 PM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
It's good to keep a jar of Thin CA around. But for the most part I have come to the conclusion that "Titebond II" is the best. Along with a little 5 min epoxy for a few structural areas.

Titebond has some great attributes. It is easy to clean up. Cheap, and dries suprisely quick. I usually glue and wait about 15 min and move on to the next item.

Highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:21 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Jeff
How far away is the nearest electric drop?
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:25 PM
TGK
USA
Joined Jun 2004
431 Posts
How do you apply the Titebond glue in smaller spaces? Do you guys apply the glue right out of the bottle or do you use something else?

Best regards.
TGK is offline Find More Posts by TGK
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:29 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,648 Posts
If you've got a tight spot that requires glue, just make a puddle on a piece of wax paper or something and use a toothpick or a scrap piece of wood to put it where you need it.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:39 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2
Jeff
How far away is the nearest electric drop?
Gerald
LOL More miles than I can afford to have poles set and wire run for. I found out the place is on solar with storage batteries (bank of 3) and a spring fed well. I need enough power to run the table saw as well as my other shop equipment. It would take a heck of a storage cell and inverter setup to supply the needed power. I'm NOT giving up my shop equipment. It would be hard to start making and selling kits without my tools.

I'm not set on the pacific northwest. I've got friends out in Arizona as well and have been looking in the Sierra Vista area as well. High Desert area with lots of flying sites in the area. Found a 3 bed 1.5 bath on 4.75 acres for 99K that looks pretty good. Three car garage/shop already in place too!!! Good distance to the nearest neighbor but has power, cable in place. Water is from 2 wells and it's on a septic system. Place was built in 2001 so it's in good shape. Only a few miles from beautiful down town Ft Huachucca. This would place me within reasonable travel distance from the Bot and Borg as well as Jack and Bryan in New Mexico. If there's water in the shop I wold even have room to set up a dark room for my photography if I wanted.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:50 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,648 Posts
Jeez Jeff,

Next thing you know, you'll be shopping at Mr Drucker's store and buying weird hobby tools from Mr Haney! You may even have to climb the telephone pole to plug in your modem!!!

I have a suggestion for you..
www.lagrangetn.com (my hometown) just close enough to Memphis to go shopping and just far enough away that you don't need to be heavily armed. Lots of civil war history and plenty of places for thermal flying. Slopes are actually gullies though and covered in Kudzu.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Sep 30, 2009, 02:38 AM
Phanatic
Flagstaff, Az
Joined Jan 2006
85 Posts
Right on guys thanks.
Wood glue sounds great been using it on other things since childhood.

Tightbond: advantages disadvantages???
Grammicci14 is offline Find More Posts by Grammicci14
Old Sep 30, 2009, 03:38 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
^ Hey don't forget weldbond either, Thermic and i have both had great results with this newish glue. I agree with the guys, CA joints shatter easily around the joint bond and CA soak in area, good wood glue bond and joins have some flex and that can really lessen your structural damage in a prang.
A careful post-mortem after my O3's big dive into the earth early this year was all the evidence I needed to use wood glue as much as possible in a build, though CA is super handy and has its place in a build- like medium-thick CA to fasten CF to spruce spars.

Sorry Grammicci, I can't speak for tightbond, you mean the aliphatic version? I'd use it for sure if i couldn't find my weldbonds on the shelves.

steve.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 04:06 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Please Help Name The Flying Strawberry

Thanks friends for voting a name for this odd wooden slope soarer, and if you are a browser or lurker of the woody thread then please feel free to help name it too.

Next year i will aim to build a larger full house version of this thing, but with a modern airfoil. I've enjoyed discovering the nature of the NACA 0010 for this type of model, it's an old school foil. These days we need something that has a is more dynamic at different speeds and a more diverse alpha profile over those speeds, or something like that. All the same though I'm really impressed with this very docile yet quick airfoil, for this application and intention, its a sweet airfoil, but it does actually feel like an oldie compared to say an RG foil, its really hard to explain. I've learn't a few valuable things in the process and its been more than worth the trouble.

My god i love this hobby/sport, its so rewarding! best thing i ever did in the noughties was renew an interest in the hobby of my youth, and discover that there was still a big love for timber sailplanes and their building, its priceless. Thanks Glen for taking these pictures, you are not such a bad bloke after all.
Last edited by atmosteve; Oct 01, 2009 at 04:09 AM. Reason: pics