Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:50 PM
Phanatic
Flagstaff, Az
Joined Jan 2006
85 Posts
So for all you woodie builders what glue do you use primarily? I am a new woodie builder and have been using ca. Seems a bit messy and slightly unforgiving at times. Open to hear your thoughts.
Grammicci14 is offline Find More Posts by Grammicci14
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:52 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,670 Posts
I'm envious Jeff. That place practically screams, "MAN CAVE!"
Simple fix for internet.. Hughes.net... satellite internet. Don't know how much it is or how fast, but it beats driving into town for one spam email! LOL
Of course, there's always the other supplies..... 50 feet of copper tubing, 100 pounds of sugar, a giant oak barrel or two, and a big copper vat, my Grand-pa's old recipe, etc...
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:58 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
My 2002 work F-150 4X4 has 245,788 miles on it as of this morning when I gassed it up... It's had a bad alternator... Other than that, tires, brakes, belts, plugs, oil changes, and nothing more. Even the water pump and hoses are still going... Steve's right, ya can't kill 'em. I was kinda hopin' for a new one next year, but this one just won't die.

Say, Steve, do you Oz guys drive on the wrong side of the road like they do in England? Sorry, Mate, couldn't resist!

Jack
I know. That's why I want a Ford. They make some great trucks. I wouldn't own a chevy truck. Well... maybe a 57 step-side but that's it. My little Toyota has been a good truck as well but it's not beefy enough for that area. I'll need 4WD to get to some of those flying areas.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:13 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Grammici
Various CA's, wood glue, and epoxy....at least for me.

Jeff
I would imagine that you will have to go satellite for the connection to Email. Perhaps something else is available. Do not go dial up! A friend here is on it and he cusses the day he had it installed, and he is only 6 miles out of town.
I envy your move. Good looking country with all sorts of possibilities.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:09 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Well it sure beats the flat land around here. That's for sure! There are a lot of possible deal breakers on this property, but I'll talk to the agent to get more details about the place. Granted I don't really want to live right in town, but I don't want to be so far out that I have to have sunshine pumped in if you know what I mean. I'm thinking that at the listed price this place may not even have electricity and phone lines run to it. I'm not real fond of the thought of having to run out and fuel up a generator in the middle of a snow storm. I don't mind roughing it but I do have my limits.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:12 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Grammicci14: Wood glue and epoxy for me. I only use CA for field repairs if I can help it. When it's applied right, wood glue is actually stronger and lighter than CA. Epoxy is epoxy. Heavy stuff but strongest "glue" out of all of them.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:42 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,233 Posts
Same here, Grammicci... Mostly carpenter's wood glue and some epoxies. CA and I don't get along.
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Sep 29, 2009, 03:17 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
Well it sure beats the flat land around here. That's for sure! There are a lot of possible deal breakers on this property, but I'll talk to the agent to get more details about the place. Granted I don't really want to live right in town, but I don't want to be so far out that I have to have sunshine pumped in if you know what I mean. I'm thinking that at the listed price this place may not even have electricity and phone lines run to it. I'm not real fond of the thought of having to run out and fuel up a generator in the middle of a snow storm. I don't mind roughing it but I do have my limits.
I'm heading out west too! Denver though. Be sure to think 'survival' in everything you do. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado can kill you if ill equipped.

If your car breaks down, you may be the only human for a 50+ mile radius. An annoyance in the summer and potentially deadly in the winter.

Be sure to make yourself a 'survival pack' that you permanently keep in your vehicle. Should include plastic sheeting, clothing, food, fire-creation materials, utility stuff (rope, fishing kit, line, etc.) Potentially a firearm to kill game for food as well.

I broke down in northern Wyoming during the summer of 2004 and had to fend for myself over 14 hours before being 'rescued.' (Had a pack and the food/water/smokes saved my sanity. )

The west is a beautiful place, but unlike down here out east, civilization isn't only a 5-10 min walk down any road. Be prepared.

Also...extra water and potentially always have a couple jerry cans of gas strapped to your truck.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:15 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Brrrr, Frogchief has put the fear of that place in me, sounds a little nippy in winter....

Yep guys, you have it all wrong you know, we do things proper way up down here, you guys will eventually catch on, i believe you are almost aware of the metric system these days, congrats on your progress!!

Ok p!ss yaking aside, thats a nice looking mountain shack Jeff. And yes, a man that builds freely on his kitchen bench is the lord of all he surveys from his kitchen methinks, it works for my house.
Can't say i've ever impressed the fairer sex with my kitchen though, apparently its some sort of crime for them to build model aircraft in the sacred kitchen area, its just not the done thing.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:41 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
The flying strawberry is a little jet!

Maidened the 1m woody slope soarer today guys, and I'm pleased to declare that it is indeed worthy of a proper name. It actually flies very well, is well behaved and it can put on a nice show without worry of getting out of shape. Conditions were ideal, NE winds averaging around 8 knots. It was noticably nose heavy at first as we predicted, so removing 12 grams and moving the cg back around 1cm helped that, its still a touch nose heavy but that was fine for today's tasks. Inverted flight is a breeze, rolls aren't blistering quick with the medium sized ailerons but are pinpoint axial. Flying weight was 360 grams.

The NACA 0010 airfoil has surprised me, the glider floats along ok enough and turns sedately in light slope lift yet accelerates like a scalded cat when you give it over to gravity, and it holds energy quite well even though it wasn't ballasted up for speed. I couldn't upset it and i threw every kind of bad stall inducing manoeuvre at it, but it always recovered quickly and stayed stable and predictable, bellisimo behaviour!! so far...

I think... a larger full house version of it could be on the bench early next year. Its totally fun, but it has no self righting ability- it goes exactly where you point it, which is exactly whats wanted for this kind of soarer. Basic aerobatics are its forte, but a rudder would be wicked.

My workplace tomorrow is very close to the slope so I'll fly it again after work, I'll get my workmate Glen to snap some pics if he agree's to come along. Then i'll shut up about it. and get back to thermaling.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Sep 29, 2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:41 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,640 Posts
I think it hits 40 degrees below in Yellowstone, then factor in the wind chill.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
Http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:22 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Absolutely beautiful Jeff. Love the looks of that place. My bod's the opposite though, this heat and humidity is fine with me but I can't handle anything below 40 degrees F.

As for the left/right side of the road driving argument: Here in Florida we have that solved. i.e. half of them drive on the left, the rest on the right. This is especially prevelant on Fri. and Sat. nights.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:59 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Sean
So it hasn't changed since I was stationed there in 1957!

Steve
Glad it's working out for the new kid on the block. I see that your name survey is deadlocked!

Went out yesterday to maiden the JDLBSP but the dang wind came up and we came back home. Weather forecasts don't look to be worth a hoot for the rest of the week.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:01 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Jeff
The place has a great rustic look to it but sounds very secluded. Although I spent most of my summers living in camp trailers on Possum Kingdom lake (before it was developed out), we're city folk and still are. I would have to think long and hard before I moved to a rough-winter, off the beaten path area but that's just me. Sean K. has it right, be prepared at all times. Bad internet connectivity is one thing but being alone and requiring emergency medical attention is another.

Steve
It sounds like the "Numeric" (my vote ) is all but combat ready, can't wait to see the in-flight pics. I'll bet it's fast as hell.

Grammici
To mount components permanently, I use Elmers carpenters glue and epoxy. CA is brutal to work with and is noxious. I only use it sparingly to tack things in place and to harden with .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:30 AM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
------------------snip/--------------------------

Grammici
To mount components permanently, I use Elmers carpenters glue and epoxy. CA is brutal to work with and is noxious. I only use it sparingly to tack things in place and to harden with .

Or the ever trustworthy RTV.

Solitude, seclusion! Yeah that's why I love Soaring and Sailplanes... just you and the wind.
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream