Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 25, 2009, 04:58 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Don
As far as sealing the bays....in a way, yes. I iron the moneykote to the ribs surrounding the bay area. You're right, grass and things get in there but I can shake mine out.
As to the lead, yep, throw it out and like everything else, you'll need it next week, or month.
I got lucky, my grandson-in law works for a tire company and he gave me a box of pulled wheel weights in various sizes. Must have been 60 lbs of it.
I just melt it down and pour it out in fairly thin sheets, then cut what I need.
Fits much better laying flat on the bottom of the battery compartment. Of course for the Bird series I bore a pretty good size hole in the nose block as recommended by Ray then, if needed, I roll some of that thin sheet and jam it in the nose hole......hmmm, that sounds knaughty. Well, no other way to put it.

Still doing great on the recovery bit. Might give the JDLBSP a toss next week.
Pictures will follow.

You dried out any over there Jeff?
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2009, 07:07 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Lol, what a bunch of characters, i'm still sitting chuckling away to myself and feeling foolish for being so easily amused, thanks for the laughs though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2
Steve
Neat installation. Now, where are you gonna' stick that battery?
Thanks for the info on the hinges.

Gerald
Gerald,
I don't know as yet. Its position will be dictated when we establish a starting CG point, I'll cut a hole in the forward fuse for it and then cover over each side with some balsa sheet, or something like that. If it actually fly's and stays in the air then I will have to glass up the fuse for strength, because that'll be a relatively big hole up front.

We are making this up as I go! No such thing as a well executed plan with this one, that'd be inviting disaster, its all seat of the pants stuff so what you could be witnessing here is like a slow motion car crash. It could be good for a laugh.

The weight so far including battery and all hardware, but without balancing, is 310 grams, so thats looking pretty good for a 1 meter span glider. The airfoil is a mystery though, it might not work at all for this type of model aircraft. We will find out within a few short days, maybe even tomorrow.

I just got word, another member of the RCG thermaler building community is about to become an OlyIII owner, great choice! You have plenty of friends here in the thermal forum and no question is a silly question, we are all learning.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Sep 25, 2009, 07:40 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Lol, what a bunch of characters, i'm still sitting chuckling away to myself and feeling foolish for being so easily amused, thanks for the laughs though!

Gerald,
I don't know as yet. Its position will be dictated when we establish a starting CG point, I'll cut a hole in the forward fuse for it and then cover over each side with some balsa sheet, or something like that. If it actually fly's and stays in the air then I will have to glass up the fuse for strength, because that'll be a relatively big hole up front.

We are making this up as I go! No such thing as a well executed plan with this one, that'd be inviting disaster, its all seat of the pants stuff so what you could be witnessing here is like a slow motion car crash. It could be good for a laugh.
COOL!

PAINTBALL POP ART | www.bonyurt.com (1 min 59 sec)

I thought this was very funny and enlightening. I hope the link works. Put it on pause and let it load for a while if it stutters due to a slow internet connection.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Sep 25, 2009, 07:55 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
JD, =====> Faaaaaaarrrrrrr out!

Did you see what they were using as a compressor motor?

Thats amazing. Oops i should be building, gotta skedaddle.

Edit;
Seeming we are off like a wandering dog again, let me put up a pic of the sun I took just before lunch. The results are very poor today, I had troubles with the gear and the wind shaking the scopes around. Astrophotography is a lot like aeromodelling, sometimes you just shouldn't have bothered.. only one shot was half worth keeping

But whats important is that the Sun has finallly shown some activity. its been 212 days since it flared up even a little, and is going through the deepest solar minimum for 100 years or more, calm before the sorm, some say. The fuzzy sunspot cluster you can see in this spot is sunspot cycle 1027, the distance between the spots is about the width of Jupiter and each roughly the size of the earth.

Hmm, don't the space agencies have some nice toys.
OK, back to model building, I have a new glider to crash... I mean fly tomorrow.
Last edited by atmosteve; Oct 23, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 02:15 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
The drinks are on me

Guess who test flew, and didn't smash their 1 meter hybrid wood glider today? haha...

Bloody amazing actually, i expected to carry bits of wood home from the open lots next door, but it actually flew like a little champ! In a straight line at least from a good couple of hand throws.

And boy its fast and responsive, but a little nose heavy which we can expect with a conservative 25%MAC. If i wasn't otherwise engaged this afternoon entertaining friends I would head to the slope and toss it over the edge into the north wind, maybe tomorrow. It needs proper setting up, the battery and balancing lead are just taped onto the nose. Balanced weight is 371 grams.

Filling my glass and drinking to good luck and guestimation.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 02:20 AM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Guess who test flew, and didn't smash their 1 meter hybrid wood glider today? haha...

Bloody amazing actually, i expected to carry bits of wood home from the open lots next door, but it actually flew like a little champ! In a straight line at least from a good couple of hand throws.

And boy its fast and responsive, but a little nose heavy which we can expect with a conservative 25%MAC. If i wasn't otherwise engaged this afternoon entertaining friends I would head to the slope and toss it over the edge into the north wind, maybe tomorrow. It needs proper setting up, the battery and balancing lead are just taped onto the nose. Balanced weight is 371 grams.

Filling my glass and drinking to good luck and guestimation.
Great!!
Tipple one for me.
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Old Sep 26, 2009, 02:23 AM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Faaaaaaarrrrrrr out!

Did you see what they were using as a compressor motor?

Thats amazing. Oops i should be building, gotta skedaddle.

Edit;
Seeming we are off like a wandering dog again, let me put up a pic of the sun I took just before lunch. The results are very poor today, I had troubles with the gear and the wind shaking the scopes around. Astrophotography is a lot like aeromodelling, sometimes you just shouldn't have bothered.. only one shot was half worth keeping

But whats important is that the Sun has finallly shown some activity. its been 212 days since it flared up even a little, and is going through the deepest solar minimum for 100 years or more, calm before the sorm, some say. The fuzzy sunspot cluster you can see in this spot is sunspot cycle 1027, the distance between the spots is about the width of Jupiter and each roughly the size of the earth.

Hmm, don't the space agencies have some nice toys.
OK, back to model building, I have a new glider to crash... I mean fly tomorrow.
212 day is a very long nadir indeed.
What followed immediately the previous long quiet cycle?
Old Sep 26, 2009, 03:06 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
^Sunspots.

Thermic, I'm working my way through your latest Floater page, give me time.
I hope you aren't going to leave the thread just like that, it needs a maiden and flying report!! I love what you have done, even if someone else does not appreciate good building and innovation, rest assured most of us do.
I've been thinking of that glider, wondering how she fly's, i bet it fly's like an albatross- no effort at all, stay up all day, beautiful.

I've gotta stop posting on this thread.
Last edited by atmosteve; Sep 26, 2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:16 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Congrats, pard!
After I asked where you were going to put the battery my mind came up with a memory of how we used to install the gas tanks in our slab sided Ukies. You must have gotten my telapathy.
Glad it flew...now, fine tune that sucker and get in the air!
I see where PlanePainter is on the verge of getting an Oly over on the Sailplane Talk thread.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Sep 26, 2009, 01:38 PM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
^Sunspots.

Thermic, I'm working my way through your latest Floater page, give me time.
I hope you aren't going to leave the thread just like that, it needs a maiden and flying report!! I love what you have done, even if someone else does not appreciate good building and innovation, rest assured most of us do.
I've been thinking of that glider, wondering how she fly's, i bet it fly's like an albatross- no effort at all, stay up all day, beautiful.

I've gotta stop posting on this thread.
I'll post a flight report when I have the time to fly her. But as I said that will likely not be this year. Employment has to be the only thing right now.
I'm thinking that it'll float on a whisper. With the modified airfoil I should be able to shift the cg fairly far aft, which should make for automatic pitch into thermals. That said though, as Ray said about the Thermal Queen.... Woe betide ye who wander too far down wind!!! You 'ain't goin' home, Bud.

Now we need to do a group Challenger build!!!!!
Old Sep 26, 2009, 07:21 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2
You dried out any over there Jeff?
Gerald
Yeah... Mother nature decided that we couldn't be washed away so she seems to have given up trying for the time being.

I put the break in the weather to good use and got Sharons' Trans Am repaired. I'm still in shock at the price for the replacement fuel pump. $435 and change is more than a bit out of line if you ask me. Then having to tear out half of the rear end of the car to drop the tank so I could get to the unit. I am hereby declaring open season on Detroit Engineers with no limit. Anyone that designs a system like that then fails to make it so you can get to it is just plain stooopid!!! Prime candidates for retro-active birth control in my book. They could have put an access plate over the tank with no problem since that's not a supporting structure of the body.

This entire problem with her car is nothing but her own fault for letting it sit for almost a year. She still hasn't put the current tag on it and it's time to get it renewed. Go figure. So a years registration and insurance payments thrown away. Now do ya'll understand why I want to get out of Dodge?
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:00 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Jeff, glad the saga was resolved, but at what cost! Lucky you are handy with spanners, I can only imagine what they'd slug you if you gave it to a service centre.. triple ouch. We need to do a deal Jeff, i'll trade you some dust for fresh water, your water will soak up our dust, and our dust will soak up your water, nature is a funny old thing isn't it.

Gerald, now i'm getting a little scared.. see pic below!
I decided on that way to mount the battery last night, just before i read your post.

Winds no good for sloping today, so its off to the flying field after lunch for some thermaling, thats my version of going to church today.

Edit; guys, i'm pretty much done with this homebrew glider i built last week, but i need your help because I don't have a name for it yet. There's a poll at the top of the page so please have a vote to help decide, its just a bit of fun.

steve.
Last edited by atmosteve; Sep 26, 2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:55 PM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Jeff, glad the saga was resolved, but at what cost! Lucky you are handy with spanners, I can only imagine what they'd slug you if you gave it to a service centre.. triple ouch.

Gerald, now i'm getting a little scared.. see pic below!
I decided on that way to mount the battery last night, just before i read your post.

Winds no good for sloping today, so its off to the flying field after lunch for some thermaling, thats my version of going to church today.

Edit; guys, i'm pretty much done with this homebrew glider i built last week, but i need your help because I don't have a name for it yet. There's a poll at the top of the page so please have a vote to help decide, its just a bit of fun.

steve.
How about:
TLAR Eagle (That Looks About Right Eagle)
a wholly owned subsidiary of TLAR Engineering (somewhat)Ltd.

or:
Damn Refined Guesses Avenger!!
Last edited by Thermic Trio; Sep 26, 2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:02 PM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
Yeah... Mother nature decided that we couldn't be washed away so she seems to have given up trying for the time being.

I put the break in the weather to good use and got Sharons' Trans Am repaired. I'm still in shock at the price for the replacement fuel pump. $435 and change is more than a bit out of line if you ask me. Then having to tear out half of the rear end of the car to drop the tank so I could get to the unit. I am hereby declaring open season on Detroit Engineers with no limit. Anyone that designs a system like that then fails to make it so you can get to it is just plain stooopid!!! Prime candidates for retro-active birth control in my book. They could have put an access plate over the tank with no problem since that's not a supporting structure of the body.

This entire problem with her car is nothing but her own fault for letting it sit for almost a year. She still hasn't put the current tag on it and it's time to get it renewed. Go figure. So a years registration and insurance payments thrown away. Now do ya'll understand why I want to get out of Dodge?
OOOOOOOOOh the joy of fresh blood and gasoline running down ones arm, whilst keeping sweat from stinging your eyes!!!! Nothing like it.
Yeah, rust grit in your teeth.....
And does anyone here remember the Dodge pickups of the middle 1950's where the ONLY way to change spark plugs was to cut a hole (usually several ;-)) through the whell wells? Ah, and 1968 Generous Motors Corvettes and the rear spark plug fun therein contained!!!

Yep, gotta love well schooled fools without practical experience!!!
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:10 PM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Anybody loving Antique Airplanes just must wander over here:
http://www.antiqueairfield.com/