Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:18 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,670 Posts
It's just so clean that it's reflecting the sky and pool. It's actually black and gold. LOL I'm a Steelers/Saints fan. They were also the only two colors I had that weren't white or a sickly purple color. But now that you mention it, the next one may be Navy and gold.. I like those colors also!

Hey Don? Are ya'll able to fly out at the dam these days?
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:46 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Like a flash, a vison came to me after reading about Steve's dirt storm...
Dirt storm my dying butt!!!!
It was Steve sanding on his creation and he hoodwinked the weather people into believing that there was a "Dust" storm.
Run, mate! They're on to you!!!!
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:42 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
LOl Yeah... Steve started on a full scale plane and sanded it down to an indoor micro-flier It's that or he finally got around to blowing the balssa dust out of his shop area.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:05 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
^^ Shhhhhh! They will deport me to Tasmania if they find out.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:11 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
I hadn't sheeted yet but wanted to know if I should layer an area close to the fuse.
Mood music...right own...
Yes, is my opinion, in the bottom D sheeting up to the first rib, maybe the second if you have hands the size of an ogre. Nothing wrong of course with what Ray gives us, but a little backing with opposing grain to the D sheet can help when handling the O3 in windy conditions at the field, we tend to grip them around the LE close to the fuse. It'll only add 3 grams of weight.
Last edited by atmosteve; Sep 24, 2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:17 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72
I knew you guys would enjoy sanding with that stuff in the background. It's easier to sand when your mind is just bouncing along with a good easy beat.
Thought I'd share my latest woodie with ya'll. Some have seen it, some may like it and others may be able to offer hints or tips for an improved version. Just an old Skeeter (with non-kit wood). Extended wing to 60 inches and threw on a Vtail for giggles and because the one I did years ago flew like a homesick angel!

PS-- Steve? Where ya gonna put a radio in that thing? It's skinny!

Hoss, Nice Skeeter! the venerable Skeeter looks a beaut with your mods and colors, we gotta stick that one on the woodie cardsroom wall for future prosterity.

The pic below best explains the radio plan John, everything is going into the wings.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:30 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Love those old school tailfins

Thanks John S and Don for filling me in on the balsarite, I will be grabbing a tin of that as soon as i find some. For now I'll have to slap around some dope on the fuse for starters. Don, building? be sure to share it with us.

Phew! I had a busy evening prepping the wings for the radio gear and doing the elevator control hardware, the epoxy is setting and it seems ok at this stage. Pics of all that later before i hit the sack, I'm to stuffed to do it now, time to put the feet up for a bit.

I always loved the tailfins of planes like the P51 and the X1, so I've put a little rudder strake on the homebrew to mimic them, its about the only concession to style this glider has, lol.
Last edited by atmosteve; Sep 24, 2009 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Change pictures
Old Sep 24, 2009, 09:40 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72
It's just so clean that it's reflecting the sky and pool. It's actually black and gold. LOL I'm a Steelers/Saints fan. They were also the only two colors I had that weren't white or a sickly purple color. But now that you mention it, the next one may be Navy and gold.. I like those colors also!

Hey Don? Are ya'll able to fly out at the dam these days?
Which dam Hoss? I've never flown any slope/ridge at all, only flat land therm.

LMAO for real , that's perfect Gerald/Jeff. Headlines "McNelley Balsa Works blamed for atmospheric anomaly"
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:45 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Steve
I like your idea of the cross stitched Solartex. I believe I remember that you also used it on Patches. Do you sew your own or do you just buy it in pre-sewn lengths and then cut what you need
We used to use alternate strips of cloth on our hinges when I was flying "Ukies" and your useage has stimulated my interest.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Sep 24, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:17 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Dove Hunt '09

Well, I know it's off the topic (what's new) but what the heck. This years Mourning Dove were few because of the food supply, at least in the Graham, TX area. The Sunflower was mostly still in bloom with very little dead-headed flowers. None of the crew was able to limit out but we had fun anyhow.

My nephew, Barry, has a 75 acre ranch with a beautiful home, barn, pool and best of all, a regulation skeet/trap range . He has 4 brand new gatlin type machines and are ringed-in for their throwing accuracy. The range is completely lit up for night shooting with white targets, it looks like fireworks when you shoot them. So, we shot skeet most of the holiday weekend and we all came home with bruised shoulders .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Last edited by dwells; Sep 24, 2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:59 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
^ I want to be the guy that's pulling targets.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:08 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Gerald,
I buy the stuff from a mate out at Howard, Steve Raskin from Simitar RC aircraft. His missus sews them for us, but anyone with a machine and a sense of direction in sewing can do it.

Trick is to put a dab of CA at either end of the hinge after you cut a length so the thread stays put, but that's only to be sure because once its covered over its going nowhere. I love the stuff, you get no blade wobble or instability with it and its very strong, re-appliable to if i stuff up.

Not much to report today guys, got a full day of work ahead, so catch you all later and have a good day/evening in your corner of the world.
steve.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 09:13 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Well I'm at work.. would you believe I'm an internet trainer and guide today!! lol, thats a worry, beware the innocent and unwary of the net..

What I might do, to help people come to grips with the beast that is cyberspace, is get them to visit the Oz Balsa Beach and Brewers Club, and have then sign up to the group as a learning excercise.

What you say Jeff? Think of all the neat skills they will aquire.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 09:15 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Well I'm at work.. would you believe I'm an internet trainer and guide today!! lol, thats a worry, beware the innocent and unwary of the net..

What I might do, to help people come to grips with the beast that is cyberspace, is get them to visit the Oz Balsa Beach and Brewers Club, and have then sign up to the group as a learning excercise.

What you say Jeff? Think of all the neat skills they will aquire.
After reading some of that stuff on there, I think I lost some skills.
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Sep 24, 2009, 09:19 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
What you saying TD, that us old hippies are a bad influence?

^That reminds me, i've got to go and read up on TT's latest with his Zaic based mega-floater build, the last page is a dead set epic, but business is slow here today, it'll fill in about 6 hours for me...