Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 23, 2009, 02:45 AM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Dust devils

We were talking about weather. Would you believe that down here today we couldn't have had more opposite weather to the southeast States in the form of massive, mofo kicking dust storms! Its the largest recorded dustorm for 70 years, blanketing almost 1000 miles the eastern country and coastline. Its clearing even now, which is great, there are a lot of folks with asthma that are praying for it to pass.

Pleased to report that the alignment of the gliders components has gone well, the horizontal tailplane is curing as I type, it was just a matter of jigsawing in a slot for the stab into the fuse sheet, it'll have a little gusseting bracing applied later for strength.

Contemplating the vertical stabilizer later this evening.

The best bit about doing something like this is the creative liscence you have, making whatever shape you want, to some degree, is super fun.

Next up is considering radio fitout, lets break out the soldering iron.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2009, 02:56 AM
delete account
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
decisions

The hardest thing so far is deciding where to stop in the build and its finish before i try to maiden it. The thing is, I don't know the glider weight range that this wing profile and plan will support and at what speeds and lift conditions; there are many questions to consider, like should i lightly glass the fuse as i'd like to? Or should I leave it at first to keep it as light as possible to assess if it has any real flying potential. Same thing with filming it; if it turns out to be a bit of a pig it would be a waste of effort and film.

Nope, i'm gonna fly her light as possible and naked at first, try to be careful and hope for the best. The build weight so far, as in the pictures above, is 205 grams, i wan't to keep it under 400 if possible.

I realise something like this might be better put in the slope section, but hey, its wood, and its a glider, so who would really care anyway coz its all fun. I'm hoping Don or GD might throw a thermal build item into the ring sometime. Hey, we haven't recieved that promised maiden report from Wylie yet, either, hmmm.

Chow till later.
steve.
Last edited by atmosteve; Sep 23, 2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 08:39 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Steve
Sorry you are having to face the dust storms. I grew up in Oklahoma in the "Dirty Thirties" and when you had to wait for breakfast because grandfather had to scoop the dirt out of the kitchen, it was not fun.

That picture you had in your earlier thread of the sunset at Clearwater, Florida is a beauty!! Saved that one in my sunset pictures folder. Thanks

Hope the new bird does its thing.....it's all experimentation when you scratch build.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is online now Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:37 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Steve, does that sat image represent dust? Good God man, that's like "chew your air before you breath it".

Your slopey is looking choice. If you don't want to fly it naked, but don't want to cover it yet either, maybe brush it down with some BalsaRite to keep it from getting too dinged up until you can decide. It'll toughen it up, won't add hardly any weight and will take glass and film later if you decide to.

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:42 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
100 Grand

Awesome milestone! This calls for beers and cheers all around.

On this front, things are just too confusing with the Mom hospital situation to make much progress on any planes lately, but things are beginning to look hopeful, so cross some fingers and we might get some work done soon. Maybe Rog the Borg will get something done on the road in the truck. He promised to take some pics, we might get some posted when he gets back here in a week or 10 days.

Awesome thread atmos, and all the rest of us who have contributed!

Just a couple more quick pics from the other day. Roger shaping and sanding out the ribs on my front porch steps.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:05 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Hey guys, I can't remember who said it but it was something about that "sickening crunch " from handling damage and beefing up the wing sheeting in couple sections. Steve, It might of been you? Anybody?

Building...
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:19 PM
delete account
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Thanks GD, good to know your mom is on the mend, thats priority No.1, toy planes be damned.

Question, how old is the hardwood on your porch steps, there's been a foot or two on those! Poor Rog, always seems to end up laboring away in silence.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:24 PM
delete account
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Steve, does that sat image represent dust? Good God man, that's like "chew your air before you breath it".

Your slopey is looking choice. If you don't want to fly it naked, but don't want to cover it yet either, maybe brush it down with some BalsaRite to keep it from getting too dinged up until you can decide. It'll toughen it up, won't add hardly any weight and will take glass and film later if you decide to.

Don

Don, does this Balsarite stuff look like in the pic below?
I've never seen it at our LHS's or the online retailers down here, or even used it, but it does sound like good stuff. Is it anything like dope? I've got plenty of that at home, but dope only hardens balsa surfaces a little, it won't stop your timber from denting or fracturing on an impact.

Dust is mostly gone today, that was weird!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:33 PM
delete account
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Fins are in

I've been doing some quick building this morning to the sounds of Michael Maxwell and his orchestra, courtesy of John Hass. Lol, 'in the mood' just finished, its quite fun music to build and sand balsa to.

Just a few quick pics before I have to take off for work, i'd rather stay and build, but it ain't gonna pay the rent.

Mmm mmm, the weather for the weekend is looking to be sweet. Saturday, the OlyIII and LB2 are getting some big air down the local flying field, i hope. They are overdue to have the dust blown off them, life is all about maintenance isn't it, it just never lets up.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:34 PM
delete account
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Hey guys, I can't remember who said it but it was something about that "sickening crunch " from handling damage and beefing up the wing sheeting in couple sections. Steve, It might of been you? Anybody?

Building...
Why, Don, what happened... c'mon now and 'fess up. We won't laugh, been there, done that.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 08:18 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,217 Posts
balsarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Don, does this Balsarite stuff look like in the pic below?
I've never seen it at our LHS's or the online retailers down here, or even used it, but it does sound like good stuff. Is it anything like dope? I've got plenty of that at home, but dope only hardens balsa surfaces a little, it won't stop your timber from denting or fracturing on an impact.
Dust is mostly gone today, that was weird!
Balsarite goes on like dope, if i remember a tiny bit thicker, and is used as the adhesive for iron on application, using coverite coverings with no adhesive . ( i guess you could put silk covering on too but i am really dating myself )

So you would paint it around the perimeter of say the balsa wings -LE/TE/Root/Tip - and then iron on the non-adhesive backed coverite wing covering.

I don't think it would work as well as thined dope on balsa to raise the grain and sand smooth.

take care, john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Sep 23, 2009, 08:33 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Yup, that's the stuff. I guess it's similar to dope but seems to go on thinner, I used it on my fuse. Does seem to firm up the surface.

LMAO...No, really dude, hadn't happened yet but it will. The bigger the wangs get, the harder they are to manipulate, no doubt! Someone was talking about grabbing a "completed" wing (Steve) too hard and felt the sheeting give. I hadn't sheeted yet but wanted to know if I should layer an area close to the fuse.

Mood music...right own...
Old Sep 23, 2009, 08:34 PM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
I've been doing some quick building this morning to the sounds of Michael Maxwell and his orchestra, courtesy of John Hass. Lol, 'in the mood' just finished, its quite fun music to build and sand balsa to.

Just a few quick pics before I have to take off for work, i'd rather stay and build, but it ain't gonna pay the rent.

Mmm mmm, the weather for the weekend is looking to be sweet. Saturday, the OlyIII and LB2 are getting some big air down the local flying field, i hope. They are overdue to have the dust blown off them, life is all about maintenance isn't it, it just never lets up.
That really looks great. Nice music, too!
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Old Sep 23, 2009, 08:54 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,655 Posts
I knew you guys would enjoy sanding with that stuff in the background. It's easier to sand when your mind is just bouncing along with a good easy beat.
Thought I'd share my latest woodie with ya'll. Some have seen it, some may like it and others may be able to offer hints or tips for an improved version. Just an old Skeeter (with non-kit wood). Extended wing to 60 inches and threw on a Vtail for giggles and because the one I did years ago flew like a homesick angel!

PS-- Steve? Where ya gonna put a radio in that thing? It's skinny!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:03 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Love the colors Hoss. I've never seen navy and gold together. Blue Angels mascot for sure...wow...