Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 19, 2009, 02:38 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermic Trio
Welcome back, we've all been thinking of you and your family.
PM me, I was an Assisted Living Coordinator with Sunrise Senior Living, and am a certain understanding ear or vent as you need.
Honda has several Hybrid pu trucks, I have an Insight that routinely gets 66 mpg and have loved it from the first sitting (2002.5). ZERO maint. issues.

Anyway, happy building and decompress!!

Thanks my friend, that helps alot. Rog and I are making ribs so I will get back to this in a few moments, or hours.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2009, 05:57 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Thanks for keeping us up to date GD, we've been thinking of you and hoping for the best.

I hope you and Rog have great fun making up for lost playtime, solving the worlds problems and don't forget some pictures of your exploits! I'm still a bit fascinated with how the Borg will be model building in transit, that's pretty special.

Did you see Gerald's new 2m Lil Bird from a page or two earlier? its beautiful. I wonder how it will fly compared to his much larger Big Bird, like a mini version? they have the same airfoil at least.

Take care,
steve.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:17 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Welcome back GD
A bunch of us have been through this and can empathize with you.
Hang tough.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Sep 20, 2009, 07:22 PM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
[/B]Awesome [U]posts all. JD planes, old cars......... This is the best thread.

Rog the borg and i DID get a complete kit done for him to build on the road. I will post some pics soon but I am too lazy to download them at this moment, now that it takes me three minutes longer and less conveniently than it did originally.

I have to post this now because I am worried that I might have screwed up the typefaces.

I also want post number 2555 for no particular reason.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 08:21 PM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
A couple pics

I hope you Enjoy this......( as much as we did !)........Took me an extra half hour to remember how to do this LOL! BSY bot
Old Sep 20, 2009, 08:57 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Bsy Bot, one thing i always look forward to with your posts are seeing the jigs and stuff you guys make, a picture sure is worth a thousand words! love the sanding template, it follows the airfoil for Rogers project? what foil is that GD?
Old Sep 20, 2009, 08:58 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Its another day off work for me fellah's, so I'm building today to, finally. I finally decided to do a hybrid home brew 38" wooden sloper from leftover*** bin materials and loose radio gear, i'll post some pics later today, at the moment i've got foaming polyurethane glue to contend with and i'm trying to keep it of my keyboard!

***Warning to my wood loving friends- this little build will include brief images of bluefoam that will be balsa laminated later on, so you may want to close your eyes on my next post to avoid the visual distress, we will get this unpleasant wing core business over with first and then progress quickly onto the woody aspect of the homebrew.

I don't even know if it will fly, these wing cores I had cut are a NACA0010 airfoil, erm, hardly intended for unpowered flight... But who cares its worth a go, won't cost nothing.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:08 PM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Ha Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Bsy Bot, one thing i always look forward to with your posts are seeing the jigs and stuff you guys make, a picture sure is worth a thousand words! love the sanding template, it follows the airfoil for Rogers project? what foil is that GD?
THE thing that convinced me to go down this route was that the airfoil was the same as the OLY 3 (and 2S) .........S3014
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:22 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Love that airfoil, can't go wrong with it for thermaling.

I wonder if a naca0010 will slermal? that oughta be interesting.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:51 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Well the PU glue is finally curing, thank goodness, its awful stuff to work with as it foams up and finds its way everywhere, kinda like epoxy, but alive like yeast, eww.

I haven't been only indulging in toy plane building lately though, I've got a few orders for decorative nautical ropework from people, included pic is a small ships bell dongle rope I've done this morning.

I'm mucking around with Profili2 at present to help me contemplate fuse and tailplane dimensions for this yet un-named thing. More pics later, and i promise they will include balsa, least the balsa Jedi swoop from outer cyberspace and shut me down for breach of thread topic.
Last edited by atmosteve; Sep 29, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:43 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
What could possibly go wrong....

Guys, i'm only posting pics here of this 1m glider caper as a sideshow curiosity, please don't let this foolery get in the way of proper woody build business if you have some to share.

So, i promised wood, and here is some. The cores I sheeted with 1/16" balsa sheet, but I didn't use adhesive, instead I've used Nichiban double sided tape with good results, its strong stuff.

Next is gluing on the LE's, TE's and attaching the aileron blades, then shaping the solid balsa wing tips. I'll be cutting servo bays into the wings later on for my $10 microcrap servo's. The elevator also will be microcrap powered.

I'm having some fun with this! Just making it up as i go while staying within sensible, basic design paramaters, apart from the airfoil I guess, that remains to be seen.

I might make it look like a mini Le Fish aerobatic ship. But i still can't think of a name for it just yet, I might need your help with that, hehehee.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:48 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Steve
The adhesive tape procedure works! Dodgson used it on his series years ago. I have one of his units and the wings are still perfect.
As to a name for your newbie.....after looking at it and the way you have it constructed, how about "Hellferstout"?
By the way, seeing your ropeworks....I would bet that you could tie up a Monkie fist in a hurry.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Sep 21, 2009, 02:16 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Well, I must say that I'm blown away by the diversity of talent amongst the crew here.

GD, I'm glad to hear that Mom is OK and a chance for good percentage recovery . I'm calling you JD (Jig Dude) from here on out for obvious reasons. Very, very cool Mr. rib man !

Steve, when I go to wikipedia and search "Jack of all trades", I'll be damned, there's a picture of you . We know you're a slope junky too and foam is just part of it. I looked at the pics and my eyes aren't bleeding or anything . Very cool looking process.

I have to agreed with Mr. G that you could probably knock out a Monkey's fist PDQ. Where on earth did you learn to knot? What you have created is very nautical looking indeed, nice work.

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:40 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Gerald, thanks, Hellferstout is in the running.

Monkie fists! Thanks also for that little reminder, I haven't had to make one of those for years, I should have a go at one, and a lot of other ropework besides.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:47 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Where on earth did you learn to knot?
Don
Hi Don, when you are stuck inside a boat, at a port somewhere and the weather has been truly ugly for days on end, sailors tend to turn to this sort of thing to avoid cabin fever, fighting with crewmates or even setting the boat on fire, you know the sort of thing. Anything to occupy your mind.
These days i get out on and in the water for recreation mostly. But through a large part of the 90's i worked and lived on the sea with all sorts of boating operations, mostly tourism.

Thanks also mate for the web page tip earlier, I'll try to figure it out this afternoon.
Right now, i got a couple more pics to post.

edit; JD the Jig Dude, rofl! thats a beauty.