Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:59 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Good times indeed Gerald. I miss it big time and wished the hell I would have held on to one of those cars. Me and my buddies were big block guys. We would mod the heck out of front ends for support, custom cut headers and whatever else we had to do get the big mills under the hood. We would save and pool our loot to buy for each others cars. There were four of us and we pretty much ruled the streets of Irving. Back then, at Harry's Hot Rod Shop in Grand Prairie, I could buy 2 Holly 650's and a dual carb Edelbrock manifold for $225.00. Cams, cranks and pistons were cheap and machining was a trade off for yardwork. Here's a pic of my '71 Formula that I could kick my ass for selling. Don't see too many of these around...
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:08 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Ooohhhhhhh! That's one mean lookin' SOB! Personally, I preferred the "Sleepers." Look normal outside, but a boatload of power under the hood.
Kinda like my Oly's......sneak up on 'em and stay in the air when they are crying on the ground.

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:15 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
That'd be worth a small fortune down here Don!
If there is one thing the petrol heads of auz love, its the old American muscle cars.

I've got a pic of my late grandfathers Galaxie 500 somewhere, now that was a road going aircraft carrier.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:59 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Yeah, this little ride would scoot pretty good. It was a sleeper of sorts in that I replaced the original 350 with a 454. It was hard keeping tires on the rear for sure . Cars like this bring a pretty penny just about anywhere Steve. I dream about her often .
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:25 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
Oh boy, hot rods!

As far as the real oldies go I built a 1938 Plymouth coupe in HS with a Satellite torsion Ft end and the rear end out of the same donor, built 340 and Toque-Flight 727 trans. Had a T bucket for a bit but hated it. Had, for 3 weeks, a '40 Wyllis coupe with a hemi/4 speed and straight axle front end. Bright yellow with Purple rally stripes and purple plexi windows all around. Dad made me sell that one after getting caught (by him) racing where I shouldn'ta been. Also a 67' SS396 Chevelle, and my Grandpa (here ya go Steve) gave me a '63 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL in pristine condition in about 1976. Then I got married, had to have a sensible car so got into building Bugs, had a '56 split window and a really sweet '67. After the divorce I got into vans . Went to work in the Paint and Body business and got completely burned out on cars. Nowdays I drive a Silverado and pine at the Detroit muscle stuff when it passes.

Been getting pangs for a street bike lately but Momma says she'll try to help me get over my mid-life crisis in other ways.

Now I build model airplanes. Kinda went full circle. Started with models as a kid, always dabbled even during the car stuff now I'm back to that as my main hobby.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:35 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Well if we're talking cars here I'll throw my wrench into the fray here as well. Hottest car I ever had was a 69 Road Runner with the 440 Mag in it. I was running a 850 CFM Holly dbl pumper carb and a hotter than stock cam in it. It would flat out boogie.

Now the coolest car I've had (and the biggest pain to do electrical work on) was a 54 Dodge wagon with a Red Ram V8. POSITIVE GROUND system on it made adding a stereo interesting. It had the "three on the tree" shifter with a manual overdrive lever under the dash.

My fastest ride I ever had was my Triumph motorcycle. After all the engine and transmission mods were finished I was clocked by Texas DPS at 145mph at only 3/4 throttle! It ate the so called hot factory bikes for breakfast. Green Streaks and the 750/4s fell like dry grass in a storm.

Of course I've learned that I'm NOT indestructible since then (like so many others here) and all those "minor accidents" do come back to haunt you with age. I think I'd be in a lot better shape today if I hadn't pushed the envelope so much when I was younger. Flying sailplanes is a lot easier on the body and more to my taste these days.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:35 AM
Larry Jasmann
Severna Park MD
Joined Jul 2008
462 Posts
Ok guys, I can't resist..

Oldest Car: 1929 Model A pickup truck stock. I got it when I was eight and just about totally rebuilt it by the time I went to college.

Coolest Car: 1953 Ford convertable with a flathead V8. Had it in high school which worked out very well indeed.

Best car: 2004 Toyota Prius: 50 miles to the gallon on the freeway isn't bad..

L. Jasmann
ljasmann is offline Find More Posts by ljasmann
Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:06 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
See there?

Such a varied bunch of experiences among all of us!

I agree. I also have come full circle. Started with models and here I am again. I also agree with scaflock....lots of injuries from my "Hobbies." Especially my motorcycle days. I guess I went down at one time or another on all my rigs. Gravel LOVES skin.

Larry
My first auto also was a Model A pickup! Took the bed off, cut the top, installed a downdraft carb, and it would tear 'em up for a short distance.

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:57 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Gentlemen.....
I need to get rid of some steam here so this is a rant....

All in favor of lining up a bunch of General Motors Engineers and using them for target practice...please let me know. I've spent all day trying to get to the fuel pump on Sharons' Trans-Am so I can fix the thing. First off they have it in the tank. No real problem until I learned that you have to tear out half the rear end of the car and drop the tank just to get to the darn thing. Then when I go to price out the new unit I learn that you can't get "just the pump"... oh no!!!! You have to buy an entire module or nothing at all. Not to mention the fact that the cheapest one I could find for it runs $401.99. (EEEEKK!!!!) Once again I've been forced to face the fact that the automotive companies have been ripping us all off and yet they still need the government to bail their butts out because "We're not making enough money". What we need is a car company that makes cars that you can actually work on without causing massive bodily damage to yourself and has replacement parts that are not going to cause you to have to take out a second loan on the house to buy them. I'm going to attempt to get the old unit working before I plunk down my $$$ for a new one. (which BTW only has a 1 year warranty on it. Again EEEEKK!!!!!)

I need to stop building planes and start working on an electric car with LiPo power and a spruce and balsa frame and body. Hell.... They had the "woodys" back in to 40's. Why not now? It's time for a revival if you ask me. ( I know you didn't ask but I"m saying it anyway.) Now I feel a little better at least.

One P.O.d Scaflock
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:32 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Hi Jeff, do you guys over there have an online wrecker part service that searches a database for items amongst registered wrecking yards in your state?

The items aren't new, but often come with a warranty.. Might be a way of saving a few bucks. I've used 'Autofindapart.com' over here a few times with success when I was keepeing my 302 clevo powered fairmont ghia on the road. And my bike to. failing that i try for an aftermarket replacement over the exhorbitantly priced OEM units- ' I can't see a vein Sir, how are you going to pay for that OEM part on the counter if we can't draw blood the from your body, Sir?"

We went through a woody stage on the thread a way back, folks posted pics of their wooden coachwork cars.
Hmm, a li-ion or poly powered woody car, I like it!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Sep 15, 2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:02 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
Gentlemen.....
I need to get rid of some steam here so this is a rant....

All in favor of lining up a bunch of General Motors Engineers and using them for target practice...please let me know. One P.O.d Scaflock
I'm in!
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:32 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl
I'm in!
Nightowl beat me to the punch. Just tell me when and where. While we're at it, line up the EPA and political idiots that come up with useless, ineffective and costly standards that don't actually address problems but DO serve as job justification. I get first shot at Al Gore.

OK, Back to the woodie builds. Someone needs to post something so I can imagine the smell of balsa dust and work vicariously.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:17 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,019 Posts
Engineer

I want the engineer who thought up the idea to put the fuel pump "IN" the gas tank in the first place and also the Engineer who thought up the idea for the inner rear wheel seals on 4runners to make it so that you need special tools to replace em......geez..... let's go back to the Model T....

Wylie aka The Coyote
Wylie Shaw is online now Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:19 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,668 Posts
Back in the "day" I had a '69 Olds 442. It was the W-30 version. I ordered the car after I had a bad collision. The insurance company paid off pretty nicely and the car cost me $3,100-... brand new. I had some money left over and being young and dumb... I ordered it with no air, no power, 4-speed tranny, and 4.33 rear gears. Well, I missed 2nd gear once and blew the 400 cid engine that came in it. My brother had a paint and body shop at the time. He had a Hurst Olds that had been wrapped around a tree. I bought the 455 from him and proceeded to build it out. The W-30 had a special cam, so I used it. I added headers, flow-tested heads, a Wiend intake manifold, and a Carter, 850CFM Thermo Quad carburetor. I had to do some modifications to the rear suspension, like springs from a '68 Cutlass wagon, and beefing the control arms. She was amazingly quick off the line... but didn't have much of a top end with the tall gears. My best time was a 10.98... not bad for a street car. Alas, I got drafted, and sold her... No telling what she'd be worth today...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Sep 16, 2009, 04:34 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
My best time was a 10.98... not bad for a street car. Alas, I got drafted, and sold her... No telling what she'd be worth today...

Jack
Damn Jack, 10.98 is pretty quick for a 3500lb street car. Was that a 1/4 or 1/5 mile? Tall gears indeed! I never ran lower than 4:11. I ran a 454, dual Holly 650 spreadbores, heads ported and polished, Appliance headers, Crane cam, double spring solid lifters, TRW pop-ups (13:1 CR), short throw crank, beefed turbo 400 auto tranny with a 4500 RPM stall speed converter, Hurst slapstick, Accel dual point dist, no A/C. I couldn't bust 12 secs in the quarter to save my @ss but it sure was fun tryin. We ran at Green Valley raceway (you may have heard of it) and Yellow Belly (1/5 mile track). I long for those days. Dammit, why did we bring up hot rods .