Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:28 AM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
I put mine on elevator. I didn't even know it was "supposed" to go on throttle.

Thanks for the link!
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:32 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Don... If they're put together like the old Futaba Flight checker it should work on any channel. The alarms/trackers are good insurance. I lost a 2-T in a rotor on the slope I used to fly in San Diego and never found the darn thing even after hours of searching. A beeper would have prevented that.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:56 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Thanks Jeff, kinda what I thought. I couldn't imagine losing my Oly for the lack of a $16 beeper. It would be my luck to be standing 20' away and never see my fallen angel.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:07 PM
Practice Makes Precision
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Alright, I need your guy's help.

Is there anyway to set up a spoiler system without cutting into the wings?

I've got two wings I want to throw spoilers on, but I don't wanna hack them up... untill winter.

Are there any suitable alternatives?

Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:28 PM
Unshaven yokel
Portland, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
1,483 Posts
I've never seen spoilers that are less than 1 rib bay.

I'd just do something like the multiplex? spoilers, the red plastic ones if you wanna be done in a hurry. Minimal rib cutting required.

http://www.hobbyclub.com/images/Spoilers.jpg
sparkysko is offline Find More Posts by sparkysko
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:46 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDisaster
Alright, I need your guy's help.

Is there anyway to set up a spoiler system without cutting into the wings?

I've got two wings I want to throw spoilers on, but I don't wanna hack them up... untill winter.

Are there any suitable alternatives?

Thanks!
Without cutting into them at all? No. The very, very simplest thing that could probably be done would be a flat spoiler. (Think of a thin piece of stiff plastic, with a "bead" along one long edge. Figure out a way to put wire pins in both ends of the bead, make someplace in the wings to receive the pins, for it to act as your hinge, and you have to have a servo or bellcrank installed in such a way that a cam will push the spoiler up, but the airflow will push it back down. It could actually lay on top of the wing (although would do terrible things to the airflow; it would be best if at least the bead leading edge was recessed). But you still have to mount the actuating mechanism and route either rods, pull cords or servo wires to it. If you have all that outside the airfoil, disrupting the airflow, you aren't going to need the spoilers anymore.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:57 PM
Practice Makes Precision
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Figured that.

I'll just wait. They really don't need spoilers THAT bad. I'll just wait till flying season is over.

Thanks guys!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:58 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Flyin Season

Mate Flyin Season is never over....

Wylie
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Jul 22, 2009, 04:21 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie Shaw
Mate Flyin Season is never over....

Wylie
Hey Wylie,

You dog ... easy for you CA guys to say flying season is never over.

But PA ... the hi starts get pretty stiff and the white stuff fairly deep during Jan.

Here in Ft Wayne, I fly 12 months, but winter time flying amounts to just a few days during Jan if any.

I'm leaving for Muncie AMA LSF NATS within an hour to fly RES, here is today's Muncie weather forcast:

Today: Periods of rain. A few rumbles of thunder possible late. High 67F. Winds ESE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall possibly over one inch.

BTW, I have flown in Santa Rosa, LA and Torry Pines, CA is a great place for RC Sailplanes, wish I were there. Enjoy ...

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Jul 22, 2009, 05:06 PM
Practice Makes Precision
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Haha, and the winds and -10* temps don't help either .

I need some more help .

I did some harder hand launches on the Wanderer today. They went great (as in it didn't break ), and this thing just floats. There was 8-10mph wind. I know this might be partly because of the wind, but whenever I went to turn the tail dropped and it skidded sideways. I had to give lots of down elevator to get it to turn. I tried moving the CG up but only got it to just behind the spar. It still had this problem, but was slightly better. Should I move the CG up more? Could it be a dihedral problem? Even with the motor pod this thing was always a pain to turn, so I'm leaning twords the dihedral issue. I wanted to see what your guy's take on it would be.

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 06:21 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,189 Posts
Hmm.. I'm waiting to see the answers to this one, too. My first thought was that you're describing a vicious tip stall condition, but I'm not sure I get the tail dropping.
Night
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jul 22, 2009, 06:33 PM
Practice Makes Precision
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
I went back out. Moved the CG to the spar. Dead air now. Turns great. I'm guessing it was a mixture of CG and the wind?

Regardless, I moved my receiver. I now have a perfect space for ballast. I know this is gonna need it. But it flew great. Off of a hand launch I got 30 seconds. I got to the point of where I could throw it, make a large circle around the field then catch it.

Now I just need my new hi-start to get here tomorrow.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 02:24 AM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Nice job TD, the wanderer looks a good thermaler, hope she loves the histart.

Wylie............................................. ..................................................
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jul 23, 2009, 03:57 AM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Nightowl, hi there.
Night what did you end up doing with the OlyII wing, a while back now you were looking to do a three piece wing. Sorry if i've slipped up and not caught the latest on the build. I'm contemplating doing an electric O2 next year sometime so I'm getting O2 curious.

As a curiosity, I just realised TheNightowl gave me my first reply to my first post here at RCG in 2007, thanks mate. The 2.65m CMPro Discus lived a charmed life by slope and motorbike tow launch thermalling for 6 months before i sold her to a chap from the Sunshine Coast here in Qld. It still flies as of May this year at was the last i heard of it. My LHS has had one dusting on the shelf for the last 2 years.... I'm thinking of doing a deal with them to secure it for the future.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:52 AM
Joined Apr 2008
148 Posts
Hey Steve, how's it going?, I haven't been on this tread for a while. Have you mended well yet?
The CQ thermal champs are coming up on the 2nd weekend of september at Woodgate, I'd love to see you there if you can make it.
Catch up soon,
Dale
bundyglida is offline Find More Posts by bundyglida