Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22, 2009, 01:28 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Fantabulous

Steve
Excellent write up! Very happy that all went well. However, my old eyeballs could not detect the Bird in some of the pics. I would bet that you didn't take your eyes off it at that height.
Wanted to ask you if you did a stall test on it. This is one of the first things I do on a new one after I make sure I'm not having to box the sticks to keep it in the air. The OlyIII passed with flying colors as I wanted. Just a mush downwards after I kept hauling back on the stick. I had one glider that went bonkers on its stall test and after I double checked for warps, etc, and finding none, I got rid of the damned thing.
Now....since you have maidened the beauty you have to come up with a name for it!!! Patches is envious. Just off the top of my cranium since you tried to mate it with a tree...."Timbermate??" ha ha
Makes me want to get started on mine but it will just have to wait.

Congrats,
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2009, 06:02 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Gerald
Yep I'm stoked with it. The first stall tests were from the hand throws, I found that inducing soft gentle hyper stalls gave the same sort of results as the O3, but more like a mini version of it. recovery was always gentle and were always above critical speed, so I knew then that like the O3 the planned CG was close and in front of the gliders neutral point.

Once up in the air I put it through all sorts of fun stall tests, even inverted and tip stalls, recovery was always quick and polite with little height loss even at critical speed. Also it never tip stalled by snapping a wing in the high speed snap manouvers, I guess that big outer wing panel is really doing its job well and all that polyhedral helps gather its balance.

I will go out on a limb here and venture that the LB2 will most likely show the same good manners as you have described with your Big Bird and the JDSP. Thats one thing I am coming to appreciate with the Sky Bench kits, build them straight and true and you will be well rewarded, Ray sure knows what he is doing on the drafting board.

Names, stone the crows! I haven't even thought of that yet.
I guess, I have officially crashed it into a tree on the second flight (more like a tree assisted landing) so ok Timbermate is in the running.

Steve

Edit; fantabulous? please........
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; May 24, 2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: fantabulousness
Old May 22, 2009, 10:44 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Inverted capers and CG

This morning I tried the last remaining standard aerobatic manouver for RE, the full inverted loop, but only in the name of science of course. After a good 60+m sheer vertical dive i pushed the stick forward as needed and waited to see what would happen.

It pulled off a neat inverted loop, amazingly the wings stayed level all the way through and it pulled through the bottom the second time with enough speed to barrel roll out of it. What was most impressive though was the noise the airfoil made as the top wing surface crushed the air it met, only moulded competition gliders are supposed to make that kind of sqealing noise.

CG - The wind picked up for a short while so i moved the LB2 CG and hook forward 1/4", it had the desired effect and the glider still maintained neat stall behaviour and better penetration, but was a litle less responsive accordingly. Thermaling this morning was a lot harder than Thursday, I only caught one decent thermal and even then it made me work hard to find the best bits of it as it travelled SSW to NNE. By 12pm the weather quickly closed in from the SSW and I had to pack up and skedadle, but we got rained on all the same.

Don, did you get that long awaited flying therapy in today mate?

steve.
Last edited by atmosteve; May 23, 2009 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Add Oly picture
Old May 23, 2009, 03:14 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
S3014

Gotta love the S3014.....

Wylie Shaw
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old May 24, 2009, 07:58 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
She is gittin' done

This great rain we have been having has been keeping me in, building. Tip panels glued up, top outboard leading edge sheeting attached. leading edge is almost completely sanded to a reasonable shape. I got in a bit of a hurry attaching the top sheeting on side and did not preshape as well as other 3. I thought maybe just dampening when gluing it all up with mostly Polyurethane glue would not cause it to warble down between the ribs much. Tried to save a little waiting time, besides, maybe the humidity might help. OK, not much dip between the ribs and I did sand it out, but darn, I can feel the dip and I can see it when I start to finish sand it all to final shape. No biggie, and lesson learned.

I convinced myself that the way to attach the top sheeting was with Polyurethane glue on the rib tops and a light amount of epoxy on the spar and the leading edge. Paint the PU glue on with a brush after the epoxy has been applied, and then dampen the sheeting a small amount to help the poly glue to go off. This technique ( thanks to schrederman for pointing in this direction) actually works very well. A little more time and great adhesion.
I weighed it all down with old model mags they used to sell at my LHS and a phone book they keep sending. Works well, but I will try something else next time for the H of it.

I didn't really get too impatient sanding the leading edges to shape for about 2 hours, but I figured out a better way for next time. Next time will be my own design from all the ideas that I steal from all the great designs out there. I am going to buy a set of plans for the Yardbird by schrederman at Mountain Models and study it very closely.

These woodies May not be as accurate as a hot wire cut foam, fiberglass shiny thing, but I enjoy the journey. My idea for a more accurate L.E. is a 64th inch ply template at all panel breaks as a hard point to sand to. I have some other fun ideas that I will discuss in my own design plane build here if I ever find my Round Tuit. Be Seeing You

OOPS!! Somehow my little boo-boo pic I meant to attach didn't make it through. I'll try to go find it and post it here........(Yeah Right!)
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Last edited by GDbot; May 26, 2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old May 25, 2009, 03:47 AM
Joined Apr 2008
148 Posts
Steve! what's been happening? looks like you have been busy!
Glad to hear your lil bird is awsome.
How's the head and arm/hand?? are you nearly right to come up and fly again with us? I've got a new bird arriving tommorrow, not a woodie, but special all the same (pike perfect).
Hope to see you soon
Dale
bundyglida is offline Find More Posts by bundyglida
Old May 25, 2009, 10:31 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Dale, great to hear from you on the woody thread.
There you go guys, behind every mouldie flyer there is a woodie guy just waiting to break out.

I'm pretty good, or i was until last night when I tripped and fell on a desk, I've now got a mildly fractured right rib but its not enough to stop me from chasing work. The right wrist is good and I'm fully mobile again. My head, well.... we are stuck with what we are born with..

I'm not as busy with work as i need to be Dale, things are tight. I need more work to afford such luxuries as maaq renewal and flying trips (I'll renew with BESSC this year when the moneys allows, the local club field isn't much good for sailplanes). I'm damn lucky to have a flying field here at home and to be able to fly.

Hmm, a new Perfect hey, wooohoo!!! there's nothing like a new toy to play with, hey I would give my left nut for one of those. You wan't to part with your Europhia yet? You know i like that ship, can't really pay you for it but..

Will see you up there soon enough, the September comp rounds will be here again before we know it and it'd be good to get a feel for the field again.

steve.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:37 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDbot
I am going to buy a set of plans for the Yardbird by schrederman at Mountain Models and study it very closely.

These woodies May not be as accurate as a hot wire cut foam, fiberglass shiny thing, but I enjoy the journey. My idea for a more accurate L.E. is a 64th inch ply template at all panel breaks as a hard point to sand to. I have some other fun ideas that I will discuss in my own design plane build here if I ever find my Round Tuit. Be Seeing You
(Yeah Right!)
A Yardbird inspired original hey, cool!! I'll be very happy to build Jack's Journey, i think I will make it a long term project to wittle away at next year

GD, I do enjoy your pics and words, there is a lot of workmanship in your Oly and its bound to fly like a dream, mine did and i'm not as careful a builder as you and Roger, so expect your new ship to head out of the troposphere.

All the best in the quest for that roundtuit, I'll be darned if I can locate mine, i'm sure it has grown legs and is now indendent.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,746 Posts
Well,

Sounds like I need to get busy on the Journey...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old May 26, 2009, 12:15 AM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDbot

---------/snip\---------------------------------------
My idea for a more accurate L.E. is a 64th inch ply template at all panel breaks as a hard point to sand to.
------------------/ end snip \---------
GDbot That works very well, I used it often.
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Old May 26, 2009, 12:22 AM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
[QUOTE=atmosteve]This morning I tried the last remaining standard aerobatic manouver for RE, the full inverted loop, but only in the name of science of course. After a good 60+m sheer vertical dive i pushed the stick forward as needed and waited to see what would happen.

It pulled off a neat inverted loop....

[QUOTE]

Are you talking about outside loops, or do I miss something in the terminology?
Bet it felt grand to see and hear!!
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Old May 26, 2009, 01:46 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Hi Thermic, I should have said outside loop, it does make more sense to read.

Yep it was a bit of a thrill to be honest. I can do this sort of thing with a couple of my moulded gliders anytime, but to do it with a wood sailplane, is something quite different and satisfying.

Looking forward to reading more on your 110 Foater build thread, i've never seen one fly, being from down under, but it looks a real treat and a light, relaxed thermaler.
Old May 26, 2009, 01:18 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Don, did you get that long awaited flying therapy in today mate?
Hey Steve, no, didn't get a chance. I had 4 days off for the holiday but this was our 7th annual crawdaddy boil and FOC Fest (Forest Oak Court). The setup for this party takes a full day, lasts for 2 days and a day to clean and sober up. My brain is like a bowl of oats . 120 lbs. of fresh crawfish, 200 burgers, 80 dogs, a wild pig, 5 chickens, 7 briskets, 30 Lbs of deer sausage, all the fixens and 250 folks........... me to tears dude! The only saving grace was the pool in the back yard to bring the body temp down and help clear the smoke from your eyes. I'm gettin too old for this crap! All the yard work and stuff is about completed for the season so I can do what I love the most...jack around with my gliders .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old May 26, 2009, 07:40 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,746 Posts
jack around with my gliders... Everyone takes my name in vain...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old May 26, 2009, 07:47 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
Well,

Sounds like I need to get busy on the Journey...
Hi, Mr. Womack. I'm a young lad keen to build your fine looking Journey saiplane later in the year, I'll probably spend a lot of next year on the build.

Hope thats enough notice to have a plan available for sale to me, but I'm most flexible for time. I will send a pm in relation to this later in the year if thats ok.

Thank you,
Young Steve.