Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12, 2009, 09:22 PM
Tunabiker
Del Mar CA
Joined Dec 2003
42 Posts
I spent the afternoon chasing thermals with Oly III out at the Poway field...it was good! I still need some trimming, but she flies great and My 10 minute alarm went off a few times. I'm including a picture to show how the repairs sort of disappeared into the overall scheme of things...thanks again for the help! Also, I used some piano wire to hold the wings on in a fairly efficient manner. It works, anyway.
tunabiker is offline Find More Posts by tunabiker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2009, 09:25 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
That particular hill you see in pic one is NOT accessible by car, but there are many possibilities nearby. I'll post some pics sometime later of the views down into the valley below, which is about 1500 feet down fairly steeply. Sometimes we do get Killer lift around here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=565

The above link is a story I posted on the Slope forum last Halloween about one of my memorable flights locally. A little more historical info in there.

The mountains we sit on the side of are not visible in the pics, I will get some eventually. They rise another 2500 feet above the town and have a class 5 hang gliding site (on Mingus.) I have been scouting some possible LANDABLE areas up there using Goggle Earth. These mountains have volcanic history that left a lot of rocks laying around. More soon Be Seeing You
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old May 12, 2009, 10:39 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Shame about the local hill GD, but it sounds like you have good options.

Don, you gotta bust that cherry one day, mate.

Tunabiker, i see you have a pic of your O3 over on the Sky Bench website also, very nice. My repairs didn't seem to effect my Oly's airtime potential either, thankfully. It either comes down because my flying just isn't good enough to catch the available lift or because I start to get a crook neck from staring up at it for way to long. I'll never tire of flying it no matter what else i have to fly.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old May 12, 2009, 10:51 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Progress on the Lil Bird 2 build is slow as usual, or, if you are Don, its going at a blistering rate... (there was no smart @ss smiley to use)

So now the wings are covered and ready to go, I'm finishing off the fuse before covering it, starting with shaping the hatch to suit the wing LE. I'm using magnets to faste the hatch, pinning the hatch down would cause it to be a stressed member of the fuse which could damage the front of the wing in a biff with terra firma.

No servo's for it yet, I'll have to pounce on a bargain when the budget allows.

Be seeing you later when my internet is restored by a new ISP.
Steve.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:35 AM
Fly it all!!
Gerlach Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
372 Posts
Pss P51

Hey guys.
Steve I accept the dare too post a Woodie build here even though its only a sloper!!!
Its still a Woodie.

I already have a thread going in the Slope section.
Its called(PSS P51 RCM plan #997 Anyone built one).

I dont mind double posting.
As soon as I get a little further along on the build I will post some pic`s here and the OBB&BC.

HEY that will be a triple post!!!!

><><Chris><>
teamtwisty is offline Find More Posts by teamtwisty
Last edited by teamtwisty; May 13, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old May 13, 2009, 08:18 AM
Dothan, AL
Joined Mar 2003
216 Posts
Quote:
Wow, reminds me of when I built peanut scale rubber powered stuff when aboard ship while in the Navy... Desire overcomes most obstacles.
Wow. There is barely enough room to keep your tighty whiteys under the rack on the ship.
RollingR6 is offline Find More Posts by RollingR6
Old May 13, 2009, 08:18 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Progress on the Lil Bird 2 build is slow as usual, or, if you are Don, its going at a blistering rate... (there was no smart @ss smiley to use)

So now the wings are covered and ready to go, I'm finishing off the fuse before covering it, starting with shaping the hatch to suit the wing LE. I'm using magnets to faste the hatch, pinning the hatch down would cause it to be a stressed member of the fuse which could damage the front of the wing in a biff with terra firma.

No servo's for it yet, I'll have to pounce on a bargain when the budget allows.

Be seeing you later when my internet is restored by a new ISP.
Steve.
It's true Steve, your a nitro funny car and I'm just a pro stock . That's alright, when I get a round tuit it'll be great. I hope this site comes through in Lewisville for slope. I haven't lost a virginity of any sort in more years than I'd like to mention .

Hey tuna, looks pretty darn seamless...very nice. I thought I recognized your mug from Ray's site, love the orange scheme. Thanks for the retaining clip idea...very neat.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old May 14, 2009, 03:05 AM
Fly it all!!
Gerlach Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
372 Posts
P51D Woodie.

I got a little work done tonight on my PSS Woodie.
Old May 14, 2009, 01:15 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Very cool twisty! Are you going military or sport colors? Hey Stevo, I see some white wings with a little red showing. Come on, let's have peek .
Old May 14, 2009, 02:43 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Man.... This is making me really wish I had a good slope site in my area still. I'd love to do up a P-51 as well. I'd modify the plan form a bit to make it look like Miss Roto-finish or Dago Red and then do the colors to match. Those were always my two favorite Mustangs.

I wonder what it would take to build a slope in this area.... I know... Wishful thinking!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old May 14, 2009, 07:06 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
All righty then!!!

There comes a point in an airplane build when many bits are dependent on all the other bits coming together simultaneously. I finally had to take the plunge and get a new radio (DX7, all I could afford right now,) so that I could figure out my flaps installation that was keeping me from completing the wing and was hanging me up. After a little 2 hour nightmare (for me) I got one of my brand new never used Futaba S48 servos from 15 years ago to function. Then I installed it in the fuse to drive the flaps.

It was starting to feel like my brain was stuck, but after a big push of effort my enthusiasm jumped an order of magnitude back to where it was at the beginning of this build. Thank goodness I have learned after all these years that I have to persevere through the rough spots because the rush at the sense of accomplishment when you break through is what it is all about.

I can see that first launch more clearly now and it is spiraling up and away.

Pics this weekend. Be Seeing You the bot
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old May 14, 2009, 10:09 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,843 Posts
Man up GDbot... git 'er dun!
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old May 14, 2009, 11:01 PM
Fly it all!!
Gerlach Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
372 Posts
P51 colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Very cool twisty! Are you going military or sport colors? Hey Stevo, I see some white wings with a little red showing. Come on, let's have peek .
Wings..Silver on top and yellow on the bottom.
Fuse..Silver top and sides and yellow on the bottom.
Tail..All red.
Nose cone red.
I have a roll of red and white checker that I will put here and there.

Its going too handle more wind than my Talon......thats the plan.

><><Chris><>
Old May 15, 2009, 10:03 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
Man up GDbot... git 'er dun!
Yeah GD, git 'er dun .

Should be very cool looking Chris, sport for sure. Always liked the B&W checker on modded out old war bird racers.
Old May 15, 2009, 08:29 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Chris, very cool. Something just occured to me, being a sloper it can still slermal at your Gerlach sight. easy! so it belongs in the thermal section.