Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10, 2009, 09:58 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird
Now that summer is coming, the winds will die down in the morning and early afternoon so I can get out and start learning. Anyway, now that I've made a short story long , I just wanted to introduce myself and say how much I appreciate this thread.

Thanks,

Jim
Hi Jim, thanks for joining us, your posts and thoughts are most welcome, this thread belongs to everyone. I hear you about the motorcycles, as much as I love them they can be worry to ride.

Anyway, hope the weather gives you a break and if there is one thing everyone loves its flying reports.

Steve (permanently hooked on flying around in circles).
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2009, 10:13 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannie
Hi Steve,
I'm back at it again. The wings are almost complete one more wing tip to sand. I have a quick question. Ihave the brass tubes 1/16 out on the wing roots and on the fuse the tube runs through the root caps. This sounds dumb but what keeps the wings from sliding off the joiner tube. Thanks Bruce

Hi Bruce, I guess there are a number of ways to go about securing the wings.
I simply run a couple of bits of hinge tape across the top of the wings and fuse. Other dudes like Don and Gerald have a spring system to stop the wings from sliding off. I just found a link to that;;; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...g#post11943247

In fact, I've accidently launched and flown without the tape on my O3! God must look after the stupid though because the wings stayed put during the flight.
Old May 11, 2009, 08:02 AM
Joined May 2008
53 Posts
Happy anniversary to a great thread

Thanks Steve,
If it wasn/t for you starting this thread and the rest of the nice people in it. There would be alot of frustrated new builders out there like myself that would give up. My o3 is almost done and there is no way I could of completed it without the help of this thread. Thanks again
Bruce
hannie is offline Find More Posts by hannie
Old May 11, 2009, 07:21 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
A little tour Part 1

Roger (the Borg ) and I (the bot) spent the last several days gathering all the bits and pieces to make him a workbench in his truck cab that can be put away when he is driving for the company. Luckily ( sort of) my sister Nan was out looking for Indian ruins in southern Utah with our friend Magrit, so we had fewer distractions and obligations to keep us from our mission. (We felt like the Blues Brothers) We went to the hobby shop over the hill in Prescott, we went to the Home Depot (twice) and the ACE store down in the valley. We were buzzing like a hive of bees on the warpath. We were manly men making PROGRESS!

We were able to buy one! ceiling tile at ACE for about $5 for the building surface, which was cheap 3M spray adhered to the shelf he bought in Omaha before coming back here last Thursday. (Actually it was DURO brand, worked fine.) When he got a couple more hours before he got the call to go back on the road, we covered the tile and shelf assembly with some of Nancy's material with spray adhesive. She still wasn't home yet, QUICK!

Anyway, it all worked and we had a lot of fun. Now on to part 2 since I can't figure out how to load more pics at one time.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old May 11, 2009, 08:13 PM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
A little tour Part 2

So I figure I should show the view from my point of view since I showed Roger and Nancy's.

This is a copper mining town that operated from the late 1880's to the early 1950's. It almost died when the company pulled out but about 100 strong souls hung on to this hillside and kept it from being completely forgotten till the early 1970's when the alternative lifestylers found it and added their blood, sweat and tears to keep it alive. The vision was an art and craft haven and it appears to some of the early re-settlers of the 70's that we have become victims of our own success. It used to be a LOT quieter, but it is still very peaceful and quiet after the Sun goes down (unless you happen to live within earshot of the bars Uptown on THOSE nights.)

My sister's invited me out in 1975 and this town has been very good to me. LOOOONG story short, this is my Home, Jerome, Arizona. I love it.

Oh dear, should we get back to the point of this thread? Building airplanes?
Last edited by GDbot; May 11, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old May 11, 2009, 08:43 PM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
A little tour Part 3

I felt I had to get this thread back on track after that little side trip we just took. This little plane he wants to build is a sporty 29 or so inch plane that he can fly out on the road when he is not driving or picking up or delivering, or watching movies on the laptop or playing computer games or checking this thread when he finds Wifi out there or riding his bike around the town he is in (looking for hobby shops sometimes) or reading Shantaram for the second time or.........We like to build!

Even though we took measurements off of many other small gliders this is totally his own design, his own pod and boom, etc. I have a great deal of confidence that it will fly GREAT!

Another reason that we did all this is to show everyone who wants to, that you can build a plane that will give you great joy no matter what kind of space you have available. You don't necessarily need a nice big shop (although we are all working to help make one that we can share with each other that is BIG.

Roger has a camera with him and promises to take some progress pics on the road to share with all of us. Maybe I can convince him to become a member here on RCGroups and post from the road, otherwise we only get once a month reports through my computer here.

This is fun, THANKS ALL! Be Seeing You GDbot
Old May 11, 2009, 09:49 PM
Tunabiker
Del Mar CA
Joined Dec 2003
41 Posts
Jerome

Thanks for the tour. My son went to school at Verde Valley School in Sedona and I found the best thing about visiting there was going through Jerome on the "short cut" through the hills. I envy you living in that territory!
Still, I sure do like the afternoon sea breezes at Torrey Pines Glider Port, especially when its all MINE! (I'm retired and can fly when I want to.)
tunabiker is offline Find More Posts by tunabiker
Old May 11, 2009, 09:50 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
I think it's great that roger now has a building setup in his rig! The choice of "tool shed" is perfect but I think he needs a second shed to help the "Truck builds" Maybe something a few years older and double wooded. (Any drinker of good Scotch will know of what I speak )

Now if I could have gotten away with having a building area setup at my work I'd really have loved working there. But since my boss was a diaper that could never happen.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old May 11, 2009, 11:21 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
What a setup! Thanks for pics. Imagine being able to stop at any good looking flying area when travel time allows, getting the sporty 30" glider out and letting her rip, sounds like a good recipe to me.

I'm a small town person myself, I couldn't live in the big smoke again, it'd kill me. Nice looking digs GD.
Old May 11, 2009, 11:49 PM
Fly it all!!
Gerlach Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
372 Posts
Roger/GD Fun

Hey you guys!!
Great photo`s and a fun work bench idea.
Im looking forward to reading and seeing all the trucker building and flying fun in the coming months.

GD great hippie art town.
My wife Terry loves your house, Terry wanted me to tell you that.

I bought the wood too complete my 50 inch P51 Glider today and rec battery, wing servos, and a red spinner for the nose.

><><Chris><>
teamtwisty is offline Find More Posts by teamtwisty
Old May 12, 2009, 03:02 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Chris, as you know I'm an avid slope soarer, I'd love to see pics of your P51 PSS build either here or at the Balsa Brewers group. lol, pics of a scale woody slope soarer in the thermal section, go on, I dare ya.

Speaking of soaring off hills, I have to ask a question to GD. GD, the historical hill behind your home town in the first pic looks really good, do you or Roger ever fly up there, is it accessable by road? prevailing winds? or is it a bit to rough on top to try landings.
Steve.
Old May 12, 2009, 08:50 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Very cool GD! Just goes to show that if you have the desire to build, it can be done anywhere. "Pshhhhhhh...10-4, mobile command building center in route, over...pshhhhh" . Wow, nice country you live in! Wish I was there with ya, this concrete jungle is killing me slowly. I was wondering the same as Stevo about the hill. I've never sloped but it looks like a good spot.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old May 12, 2009, 09:16 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
You've NEVER sloped Don? We're going to have to change that someday soon! Brewers.... I smell a ROAD TRIP coming up soon. Rescue mission for Dons' mental health.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old May 12, 2009, 09:23 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
It's true Jeff, I'm a slope virgin . But, SLNT (Soaring League of North Texas) is working on a deal for a local landfill mound that may be my ticket to try. Yup, just a flat lander here so far.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old May 12, 2009, 06:28 PM
Peoria, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
1,039 Posts
Another reason that we did all this is to show everyone who wants to, that you can build a plane that will give you great joy no matter what kind of space you have available. You don't necessarily need a nice big shop

Wow, reminds me of when I built peanut scale rubber powered stuff when aboard ship while in the Navy... Desire overcomes most obstacles.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole