2,844 Posts
Blank blank blank
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2009, 12:59 PM
Laplace.La.
Joined Mar 2007
479 Posts
.....Dwells I said what I had to say and WILL NOT post any more to this group. We are all suppose to be friends and share the same interest but some how it don't work here does it.

Condor-60
condor-60 is offline Find More Posts by condor-60
Old May 10, 2009, 01:00 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Happy Thread Day

Now then, that's better. Just looking back over the year and going back through this thread, I have to say that it has been a real learning experience with a bunch of great guys. The fun and jokes and personalities have been a real pleasure and I mean that seriously. For a newbie like me to get into a build on great plane like the OlyIII without the generousity of knowledge found here would be a disaster. Thanks Steve, oh great starter of the thread. And thanks to Ray, Gerald, GD, Jeff, Jack, Wylie, FC and all others, for the great inputs and ideas and helping me along. Here's to another year, or 10, of good stuff and good fun on the Woodie thread.

Don
Old May 10, 2009, 01:07 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Condor,

I think to keep from bringing down the rest of the group, it would be more appropriate for you to PM disagreements with the party that you have an issue with, not post it publicly. Does that not sound reasonable?

Don
Old May 10, 2009, 01:19 PM
Laplace.La.
Joined Mar 2007
479 Posts
Dwells that does make sense but your friend elected to do this in the open forums and thats were its at. As I said I no longer will carry the torch here but I felt a need to respond to your post. I am ready to drop the issue and let it lay and hopefully we can all be friends like we are suppose to be. Maybe you can talk to Steve and convince him to do the same. If not I will get a moderator involved to put a stop to it. I have nothing at all against Steve but I get offensive when a blatant uncall for attack is made. You have my word this is my last to this group,I just wish all good luck and all there skys be full of thermals.

Condor-60
condor-60 is offline Find More Posts by condor-60
Old May 10, 2009, 01:29 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
It's all good Condor, we all strive for the same thing, having fun with these danged big boy toys. We are all in the same boat when it comes to that. This thread is for ALL of those that enjoy building from wood. Back at you man, safe flying and boomer for lift for the season.

Don
Old May 10, 2009, 04:18 PM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,511 Posts
I just got done reading this thread today ( I've been working on it off and on for a couple of weeks). It's been a very informative thread. It sounds like it will be on going which would be welcome as it's a great resource for info and it's fun hear the flying anecdotes as well.

I'm a newbie to thermal flying and wood building. I've been involved in r/c airplane models for several years (electric power arf models). I taught myself to fly some years ago with a 2m motor glider but not thermal type flying. I did build a park flyer size aerobat wood kit several years ago when I thought I was ready to handle it. The 7 second flight from hand launch to the total destruction crash put a damper on my desire to build another kit.

I started a Big Bird build a couple of years ago but ran out of gas after a wing and a half. My wife got me the kit for Christmas as I thought the wing planform looked good and I heard it was a good flyer. One of the guys at the club I used to fly at sold me a used Aquilla Grande and showed me how to winch launch it with the club winch. However, the club is over an hour away so wasn't able to get there very often (glider flying was limited to Sat mornings until noon and I usually work on Sat).

I got back into flying recently after recovering from a motorcycle mishap and although I enjoy the power stuff, I kept getting the urge to try thermal flying again. The local hobby store has closed due to the recession but I was able to get to the hobby store in the next town north of here and picked up a Dynaflight high start.

My plan is to practice with the Aquilla while I finish the Big Bird ( I've got it back on the bench in the hobby room and am slowly making progress...working out how to do the spoilers right now). I've only gone out with the aquilla two times as it's been very windy. The second time out, I almost didn't get it back in one piece on the first flight and back in the truck it went!

Now that summer is coming, the winds will die down in the morning and early afternoon so I can get out and start learning. Anyway, now that I've made a short story long , I just wanted to introduce myself and say how much I appreciate this thread.

Thanks,

Jim
jbird is offline Find More Posts by jbird
Old May 10, 2009, 07:25 PM
Fly it all!!
Gerlach Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
372 Posts
35 years of Woodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtwisty
Ive just finished reading and skip reading all 99 pages of this wonderful thread.
This is the first and by far the best ive ever read!!

A huge family that gets along through thick and thin and the holidays.
I love the Turkey Wisperer, the Texans, and all the rest.

Its a 110 miles one way to the nearest Hobby Shop or any store for that matter for me.

I buy my # 64 rubber bands at Staples.
Sierra Models loves too see me come though the door with my list!!

><><Chris><><
Happy Anniversary too all the Woodie`s!!!

<><><Love Chris>>
teamtwisty is offline Find More Posts by teamtwisty
Old May 10, 2009, 07:26 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Let's all try to chill and avoid circling the wagons too tightly. I have enjoyed both these threads ( and many others ) very much, even though I posted mostly on this one. There are too many styles of building and building tips for me to ignore any of them, I learn something from everyone. I also have had disagreements with some really good friends that caused us not to speak to each other for a LONG time, till we both admitted to ourselves that comradeship is too valuable to let go. Sorry for waxing philosophical for so long, but I don't like when my friends aren't getting along with my other friends. Peace........
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old May 10, 2009, 08:04 PM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Now, where was I?

Ah, yes, now I remember. Flying bud Rog and I spent the last couple days going over to our LOCAL hobby shop (55 miles round trip) and setting up a workspace in his truck so he can build on the road. The plane will be about 28 or 30 inches wingspan.

[ We could have ordered everything online, but we felt strongly that it is important to support our local LHS in this economic downturn so that if we really need something NOW! (like ONE 1/16th x 3 x 36 inch sheet of balsa) we can blast there and back in less than two hours. ] (That is a joke my friends, but I have been tempted sometimes when the building itch is strong and there is a stumbling block in the way)

So we had a lot of fun getting bits and pieces together so that he can do some building in his downtime while driving truck. Will try to get pics of the space in the truck tomorrow A.M. when he loads back up to get on the road for the next month.

I have make a little progress lately and will try to post pics and reports soon. (you know how that goes sometimes) Love you all,......Peace,.... Chill.....Be Seeing You......................!....................the bot
Last edited by GDbot; May 10, 2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old May 10, 2009, 08:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Forgot to mention that I am going to try to help keep this thread alive for a good long while with my OLY 3 build because it ain't finished yet, nor crashed for its first time, and repaired.
Old May 10, 2009, 08:35 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,594 Posts
Hats off to Steve, the creator of this WOODY thread and all the guys that have posted here. Steve's thread has been a great help to all the new guys trying their skills at building and flying. Building a WOODY can be a great way to erase the depression blues. I built my first model kit when I was six years old, flew it out the 2nd story bedroom window, been hooked ever since. It's a great hobby.

Ray
Sky Bench Woodys for ever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old May 10, 2009, 08:39 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
LMAO, great pics there GD. Your shed has hidden treasures like mine .
Old May 10, 2009, 08:47 PM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes
Hats off to Steve, the creator of this WOODY thread and all the guys that have posted here. Steve's thread has been a great help to all the new guys trying their skills at building and flying. Building a WOODY can be a great way to erase the depression blues. I built my first model kit when I was six years old, flew it out the 2nd story bedroom window, been hooked ever since. It's a great hobby.

Ray
Sky Bench Woodys for ever
http://www.skybench.com
RIGHT ON RAY! THANK YOU! It IS a great hobby, thanks to all of us. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy first birthday
Old May 10, 2009, 09:53 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
A big part of this thread is all due to Ray's excellent range of good performing value for money kits, thanks go to Ray Hayes! And all the guys out there striving to present us with woody kits.

GD, I gotta hand it to you and your pal Rog, building all your own jigs, hand tools and bits and pieces of innovative gear, you blokes are the genuine article, its inspiring!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve