Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 06, 2009, 07:49 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Yeah... I used to pickup extra cash by hauling guys and their hang gliders up to the top of Black Mountain so they could launch. They didn't want to take a chance of getting their shiny new trucks scratched up on the fire trails up to the top. My old 57 stepside would go through stuff that guys with new 4WDs looked at and said "NO WAY!!!"

I hope to be getting back out to that area for a visit soon. Need to see my dad while he's still around and visit ol friends. I will of course bring a plane or two with me and get some flying in at the old sites.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2009, 12:12 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,069 Posts
[QUOTE=scaflock]Yeah... I used to pickup extra cash by hauling guys and their hang gliders up to the top of Black Mountain so they could launch. They didn't want to take a chance of getting their shiny new trucks scratched up on the fire trails up to the top.

Hehe, I know what you mean. I can assure you one of those shiney trucks sure didn't belong to me. Believe it or not, I used my '60 MGA. The glider rode right down the passenger side, setting on the fenders. What a hillbilly I was(am). That was a great site.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old May 07, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
And I thought Hillbillies were only in the Ozarks... Silly me...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old May 07, 2009, 02:36 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
aww come on Jack... There be hills in Arizona... Even in New Mexico too!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old May 07, 2009, 06:04 PM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
I will take a risk and say that you will find the hillbilly phenomena to be a world wide thing, though you guys in the US probably coined the phrase and have rights to it.

Heck, even I am a hillbilly by birth I'm told, in fact the rest of the nation considers Queenslanders to be the roughest, must unrefined people of the nation. Yep, I'm proud and humbled to have been born up on the Great Dividing Range of the eastern states. I salute you, my hilllbilly cousins of the world. Hillbilly's make good slope pilots anyway.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old May 07, 2009, 06:29 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
And I thought Hillbillies were only in the Ozarks... Silly me...
Once upon a time, gasoline was cheap. That's how we got so spread out Jack..

Cousin John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old May 09, 2009, 10:16 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
This thread is one year old! What a blast is has been. I have had such a great time hanging out here reading and learning.

YIPPEE!!! Thanks atmosteve!

I will be trying to post some progress pics tomorrow, too many multitasks lately.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old May 09, 2009, 10:39 PM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
A good day

The woody thread is turning 1 year old today guys, on mothers day! lol, its become a mother of a thread about a really great subject. Thanks everyone for making the thread what it is, a great place to learn all sorts of stuff about wood built sailplanes. I started in a wide range of aeromodelling pursuits from a young age, but I've learned plenty here on the RCgroups forums from you folks, particularly this thread, so thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience, its been a definite help and credit is due.

Amazing Sunday weather here today, so i had to go flying come hell or high water, you know the feeling?
The local flying field is only a 7 minute walk from home, so I've turned flying there into an excercise. Basically I've rigged up a hand trolley to transport up to three gliders, also the histart launch equipment, I carry the radio and other sundry gear in a day-pack on my back. I road-tested the rig this morning and apart from a few teething problems with rubbing from movement, its was a great success. I'll try to take some pics of the contraption when I get my camera back.

The always elegant OlyIII enjoyed some really champagne thermalling today, in almost perfect flying conditions. I can't tell you how good it was out there, getting some warm sun and air in a huge blue sky with great scenery everywhere.

I've forgot to say in the past, that using up to about 1/3" of flap on my flaperons gives a noticable increase in release height on launch, with either histart or a winch. You can't go wrong with an OlyIII, it just keeps on giving in all sorts of good and bad weather.

Hope you have a great weekend, killer lift to you.
Steve.

EDIT; GD, you just beat me, You get as much credit as anyone else for this fun thread, Thanks mate.
Also, be good to your Mum if she is within earshot.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; May 10, 2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old May 10, 2009, 07:50 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Happy Anniversary!!

Yep, thanks Steve for starting the foo fer rah. Enjoyable experiences all through the thread. Glad to be part of it, and maybe we can make it another year. The figures don't lie insofar as the # of reads and replies.

Glad you let Patches stretch her wings, and I'm sure that the time spent communing with the thermal Gods was worth it. Very pleased that your health is returning.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL THE LADIES!!!
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old May 10, 2009, 08:06 AM
Joined May 2008
53 Posts
connecting wings

Hi Steve,
I'm back at it again. The wings are almost complete one more wing tip to sand. I have a quick question. Ihave the brass tubes 1/16 out on the wing roots and on the fuse the tube runs through the root caps. This sounds dumb but what keeps the wings from sliding off the joiner tube. Thanks Bruce
hannie is offline Find More Posts by hannie
Old May 10, 2009, 12:00 PM
Laplace.La.
Joined Mar 2007
479 Posts
....I have recently been attacked by a member of this group that goes by Atmosteve. His remarks were very unkind and unprofessional. He posted in my build of the Zaic Floater G-110 in the Thermal forum. What tempted him to do this is not known and I hope he does not represent the whole of this woodie group because if he does thats very sad. I once posted here and mentioned I had a dislike for the word Woodie to describe the old sailplanes and I was chastised a little for it. No problem there as maybe I should not have done so. I also posted a picture of the space station here with a picture of the Zaic Floater in orbit together,after all this is what this group is about ain't it OLD GLIDERS and any OLD GLIDERS. He elected to send me a very ugly PM accusing me of advertiseing the Floater in HIS group. The picture was designed to raise a chuckle. I have no problem with Mr. Atmosteve as he is probably a nice fellow but you guys keep him over here. I am sorry those of this group don't warrant the Zaic
Floater G-110 as a Woodie because of me and I am very,very sorry for that. The old bird was truley one of Fran Zaics best.

Condor-60
condor-60 is offline Find More Posts by condor-60
Old May 10, 2009, 12:42 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Well now Mr. Atmosteve, you hateful thing you , have you been acting out again ? I just don't know what we're going to do with you, maybe it was the bump on the bean .

I'll enter some blank posts to get this shtuff off the screen cause it;s a bummer.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old May 10, 2009, 12:43 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
blank
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old May 10, 2009, 12:44 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007