Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 06, 2009, 08:32 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2
Man, my buns be draggin' ! The lawnmowing season is upon me and so many of my customers want their equipment yesterday.
I'm taking a break.

Haven't done a thing to my Lil Bird yet. Too dang busy.
Took time out last Sunday to go flying with David and I hurt my BB. The wind was up and down and we were practicing our precision landings. I had brought the Bird around trying to nail the circle, had it slowed down nicely and ready for touchdown. A dang gust caught me and the Bird ballooned up and stalled. Came in on the right wing and it cartwheeled, knocking off the nose block and cracking the polyhedral area. Very repairable, so it will be back in the air soon as I have to continue practicing for our upcoming contest at the end of the month. The JDSP is still flying beautifully....so much so that I may just use it for the RES and open events.

Steve
The color plan makes sense. Red and white are hard to beat....that is unless you have John Deere colors in your blood.

Don
From what I hear about your storms down there I don't see how in the devil you can even get to that pool. Your sod must have washed away.

I still drop by to read the thread here, so don't count me out. It's just that I have so damned much grease and dirt on my hands from the lawn equipment that it takes me most of the evening to get it off. Not like on the farm when we had plenty of coaloil (kerosene to you young blokes) around for the tractor and lamps. Real easy wash up that way.

Yawn.......nite all.
Gerald
Hey Gerald, what Steve said, work is good! Stupid wind, I had the same thing happen to me only my plane tumbled down the field like a plastic grocery bag...only one broken bone though. Actually the sod is rooted in like ticks on a hound, already having to mow it. In my motor rebuilding days, I used every type of hand cleaner on the market...they all suck. Finally just started using a few squirts of WD-40, rub it in real good, then wash with Dawn dish detergent...you'll be amazed . Take it easy when you can.

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2009, 09:09 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,743 Posts
Froggy,

I really hated missing you guys in North Carolina...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old May 06, 2009, 10:21 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
In my motor rebuilding days, I used every type of hand cleaner on the market...they all suck. Finally just started using a few squirts of WD-40, rub it in real good, then wash with Dawn dish detergent...you'll be amazed .
Don
I can vouch for the old Dawn, too. I haven't used it in a long time, and don't know if they have changed the formula or not (haven't gotten that grease-covered in awhile now), but it used to be great.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old May 06, 2009, 10:39 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
Froggy,

I really hated missing you guys in North Carolina...

Jack
No worries Jack. I'll be out NM way soon enough!
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 06, 2009, 10:53 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Hey Jack!!! What are you doing here? Are you trying to get all the east coast pilots out there in New Mexico? Froggy is heading out there and so is Liquidity! While I've never met Frogchief in person, Liquidity is a local to me and a flying buddy. I think that if you're going to take two... you should send at least one back this way! Kind of like an exchange program.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old May 06, 2009, 11:24 AM
Tunabiker
Del Mar CA
Joined Dec 2003
41 Posts
Success!

Thanks to lots of help from you guys, Oly III is looking good and in the air, majestically carving circular paths through gentle thermals. I appreciate your help, especially in getting me back on a positive path of repairing rather than replacing.
tunabiker is offline Find More Posts by tunabiker
Old May 06, 2009, 12:07 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
While I've never met Frogchief in person...
You sir are a lucky man...
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 06, 2009, 12:18 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
LOL. Well I think that you're not giving yourself enough credit there Froggy. You CAN'T be as bad as some of the other guys I've flown with over the years. Now if your handle was frog CHEF I'd be worried.

Hey Tuna! Where you doing your thermal flying at? Carmel Valley by chance?
Old May 06, 2009, 01:56 PM
Tunabiker
Del Mar CA
Joined Dec 2003
41 Posts
I live down in San Diego (just next to Carmel Valley), so I fly with the Torrey Pines Gulls. We have two, count 'em two, thermal fields and probably the most beautiful slope location in the US at the TP Glider Port. Both thermal fields are super, one a part of farm/horse acreage and the other at an old land fill (we still haven't learned to use the methane for lift, but it will come one day, for sure).

It's a great place to fly, so come visit and we'll show you around. We have a great club with some world class fliers as well as plodders like myself.
tunabiker is offline Find More Posts by tunabiker
Old May 06, 2009, 03:14 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Looks great tuna...GAN!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old May 06, 2009, 05:49 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
Hey Jack!!! What are you doing here? Are you trying to get all the east coast pilots out there in New Mexico? Froggy is heading out there and so is Liquidity! While I've never met Frogchief in person, Liquidity is a local to me and a flying buddy. I think that if you're going to take two... you should send at least one back this way! Kind of like an exchange program.
Actually, while Jack is wandering down south, please pop in down here for a fly as well Jack, we are only a little further south after all and you might enjoy flying around in the other direction, you never know.

Good news Tuna, thats a very clean looking repair too, its hard to go past wood for repairing biffs and bangs. If you need tips on hooking up on methane lift, Gerald is your man I believe he has mastered the art of utilising livestock generated methane lift if old posts are to be gone by.

Failing Kero, (best degreqaser on earth imho) clothes washing powder makes a great hand cleaner too.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old May 06, 2009, 06:15 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabiker
It's a great place to fly, so come visit and we'll show you around. We have a great club with some world class fliers as well as plodders like myself.
Oh trust me I know Tuna. I flew at Torrey Pines for years. I used to live up in Ramona (before it got all built up) and used to do thermal and slope within a couple of miles from my house.

Now I'm in the flatest part of Georgia and would almost kill for a good slope to cut up on. I may have to move out to Lost Wages or set up camp in Clovis with Jack to get some decent flying again.
Old May 06, 2009, 06:59 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabiker
Thanks to lots of help from you guys, Oly III is looking good and in the air, majestically carving circular paths through gentle thermals. I appreciate your help, especially in getting me back on a positive path of repairing rather than replacing.

You made my day, I have been wondering about you and your bent OLY lll, I'm so glad your back in the air. Hats off to you now that your a bonfide woody guy ....... meaning you can build, fly, repair and fly again ..... .

Try to keep her flying in the blue.

I flew off Torrey in 1980, a group of Indiana/Michigan guys flew out to LA to compete and in our off time made it down to the cliff's above the nude beach.

You got it all over the rest of us inlanders. I also competed in Santa Rosa, Ca, 1976 and camped in some of your Nat Parks. Truely beautiful out there.

Ray
Sky Bench Woodys for ever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old May 06, 2009, 07:22 PM
Peoria, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
1,054 Posts
Torrey AND Ramona; both incredible hang gliding sites, Scaflock. I got to fly there in the 80's *sigh*

Ray, I was at that contest in SR!

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old May 06, 2009, 07:49 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,570 Posts
John,

The pic is from my web site 1976 LSF tournament:

Santa Rosa, California. L to R, Gordon Pearson of Michigan, SOAR members Keith Finkenbiner, Sid Axlerod, the man that brought us Monocote, Kevin Pearson, Dan Pruss, Sarah Hayes and Sarah's dad Ray.

Hope you had a much enjoyment as I did. That was my first man on man contest, if I remember correctly, it was the first for every one. We drove to CA from Indiana in a Toyota camper, our daughter had her one year old birthday party in the SR Holiday Inn. Nothing but fun with a woody.

Remember the gals working the freq. matrix with wood blocks on top of the large bench ... who needs a computer program .... just kidding.

Ray
Sky Bench Woodys for ever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Last edited by Ray Hayes; May 06, 2009 at 07:55 PM.