Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 03, 2009, 08:01 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Nope, no lead, just regular dominoes. They add just enough weight to keep things flat and are perfect 90 jiggernuegens . Yup Steve, handling damage happens all too easy. I hung the tailfeathers on my Spirit in the car seat and F'd up rudder just trying to go fly one Sunday...rassin frassin...
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2009, 09:01 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Another OC building tip of the day

Before I decided about a year ago to commit and take the plunge back into this hobby (RC Sailplanes), I was getting my toes wet with a couple of all balsa 16, 18 inch wing span HLGs. When sanding to airfoil shape, a lot of balsa dust was created. I saved it. When I had a gap to fill today I stuffed it with my bag-o-balsa dust, medium packed, and then flowed thin CA into the filled gap. Soaked all the way to the bottom in most places and it was easy to turn over to fill the bottom. Files well with a needle file to shape.

My flying bud Roger, and I, are making progress on our latest TOP SECRET interstate mobile micro workshop for mini gliders. He found the HS 55 in Phoenix, AZ a couple weeks ago, and the building shelf (10 x 36) at Home Depot in Home Depot (Omaha, Nebraska I think) yesterday. I found airfoils and pod design links and email them to him today. Pics in a week or so.

Love the dominoes, great idea, I'm gonna use it!

Time for a beer.....Have fun all.....Be Seeing You
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old May 03, 2009, 09:23 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Well, i don't think all my balsa dust wood be enough to do the filling job unfortunately, but I've got heaps of filler to spare .

I've always been interedsted in space saving solutions, it must have come from living and travelling on boats, so I'm interested in your pal Rog's prime mover workshop, GD.

You blokes have had a head start on me with enjoying an ale or two, but its just past midday here so forgive me while a dissapear and go crack one or two over a nice hot lunch.

Cover scheme idea for wing below, not sure if on one or both wings, it'd be white and transparent red film. Other pic shows the slight taper in the outer wing LE towards the tip.

Oooh, here comes my beer.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old May 03, 2009, 10:49 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
WEll the weekend building bug seems to have bitten a lot of us. I spent mine working on Liquiditys' GL and Omni 1.8. I'll be getting the rest of the electronics from him on Wed. and should be able to have them ready to maiden soon. That Omni is a sweet little ep job and I just may have to consider getting something like it in a larger size for myself.

I've got one more quick build laid on for another guy when I finish up Liquiditys jobs and then I'll be starting another build for myself. I'm still trying to decide one which one to build. Jester (build thread already done on it) or the Klingberg 100 wing. The Klingberg is a foam core job and I'm thinking of taking it down to Seanpcolas place and getting him to help me bag it. I know that the balsa sheeting would cost a lot less but this thing is begging for kevlar ala bag. So what do you guys think... Jester or the wing?
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old May 04, 2009, 09:30 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Vote

I vote for the Jester......

The Coyote
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old May 04, 2009, 10:43 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
I was thinking the Bagged Klingberg... Just so we can get some work out of Sean..
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old May 04, 2009, 10:48 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Work

That wud be cool too

Coyote
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old May 04, 2009, 11:15 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
I started to save the dust from my fuse shaping because it was a very even consistency, I will in the future.

That's going to look VERY sharp Steve, my vote is both sides. Should be a easy see at altitude also .

I'm with Wylie, and with your mods, it'll be a "Jeffster" .
Old May 04, 2009, 07:52 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
I've never bagged a wing, so I'd do that out of curiosity and learning from an old hand like Sean.... or is that slow hand... hehehee.

The Jeffster is cool though.
Old May 05, 2009, 09:38 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Hey you old coot, where you be? Hope all is good Gerald, kinda miss your input on ye old woodie thread.

Don
Old May 05, 2009, 10:26 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor-60
......John on page 123 of this build you show a "Grande Esprit" with what appears to be a white transparent covering am I correct. I have seen white transparent coverings at my local Hobby Shop and was wondering if this is the same.

Condor-60
Hi Berry, I used Ultracote Lite for the white areas. Not as rigid as the old version of Super Monokote, but plenty strong for this old bird. The only mod to this model was adding a bit of carbon to the tail structure.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old May 05, 2009, 10:36 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
I still be here

Man, my buns be draggin' ! The lawnmowing season is upon me and so many of my customers want their equipment yesterday.
I'm taking a break.

Haven't done a thing to my Lil Bird yet. Too dang busy.
Took time out last Sunday to go flying with David and I hurt my BB. The wind was up and down and we were practicing our precision landings. I had brought the Bird around trying to nail the circle, had it slowed down nicely and ready for touchdown. A dang gust caught me and the Bird ballooned up and stalled. Came in on the right wing and it cartwheeled, knocking off the nose block and cracking the polyhedral area. Very repairable, so it will be back in the air soon as I have to continue practicing for our upcoming contest at the end of the month. The JDSP is still flying beautifully....so much so that I may just use it for the RES and open events.

Steve
The color plan makes sense. Red and white are hard to beat....that is unless you have John Deere colors in your blood.

Don
From what I hear about your storms down there I don't see how in the devil you can even get to that pool. Your sod must have washed away.

I still drop by to read the thread here, so don't count me out. It's just that I have so damned much grease and dirt on my hands from the lawn equipment that it takes me most of the evening to get it off. Not like on the farm when we had plenty of coaloil (kerosene to you young blokes) around for the tractor and lamps. Real easy wash up that way.

Yawn.......nite all.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old May 05, 2009, 11:14 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
No excuses Gerald... I'm coming to Amarillo tomorrow for the rest of the week...

Darth
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old May 05, 2009, 11:31 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Hey thanks for popping in Gerald, i was about to echo Don's question of how you are doing.

Sorry to hear the BB small prang, but great to hear the JDSP is going strong. I flew Patches down the front of the house on the mangrove flats this morning and had a great old time with it, you can't beat wingspan and the O3's ability to just keep on penetrating from low and downwind. It makes me wishfully wonder how a more slippery Journey will fly in comparison.

Sounds like you are in demand over there, but work is good. Take care,
Steve.
Old May 05, 2009, 11:46 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
No excuses Gerald... I'm coming to Amarillo tomorrow for the rest of the week...

Darth

My...you get around!
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)