Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:28 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
That's not a bad weight gain for the amount of added strength you got in those wings Owl. (even if it is just a guesstimate)
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:27 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Lil Bird

Steve
Just trying to make some mental plans for building my LB. What was your deciding factor in building a one piece wing? I would like a two piece one but I want to get all the facts and ideas before I commit. Ray hints that the 1 piece wing is hell for stout but doesn't mention that about the 2 piece.

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:00 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Gerald
I chose the one piece simply for strength considerations because i am going to give it the berries from the letgo. And I reasoned that the weight factor involved with the metal joiner system was a weight penalty not worth risking considering my wing will already be heavier than stock with the inner wing full sheeting and cross braces applied between some of the ribs.

Its not a stock build by the way if your a browsing reader, its something I choose to do for better or for worse.... I understand Ray Hayes has done a cracker job of redisigning the construction of the whole Bird series now offered by Sky Bench and built stock its plenty strong for normal launching pressures, is my humble opinion, but I'm a mad aussie hell bent on testing Galilleo's now ancient ballistic's equations.

Got to say though, its now way stiff and should handle some truly manic launch acceleration for a humble woodie.

Jeff, I'm getting a little done on the 2MTC Thunderbird fuse, no idea for a wing just yet though, we will get there.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Apr 21, 2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:17 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
1 Piece Center Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2
Steve
Just trying to make some mental plans for building my LB. What was your deciding factor in building a one piece wing? I would like a two piece one but I want to get all the facts and ideas before I commit. Ray hints that the 1 piece wing is hell for stout but doesn't mention that about the 2 piece.

Gerald
You might look at making the center section 1 piece and with the tips removable like the Marauder is built....

Wylie
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:51 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Steve
Okay, thanks for your ideas. I'm anxious for you to finish it and then check it out on the winch.

Wylie
Yes, I did that with one of my Gentle Ladies. Worked quite well.

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:57 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Gerald,
I've done one 118" wing design in three different ways ( 1, 2 and 3 pieces) and each had its pros and cons. The one piece was stout as could be but transport was a major hassle. The two piece version was easier to haul around but was actually quite a bit heavier thus higher loading. (5/16 steel joiner was used with brass tubes) The three piece turned out to be my favorite out of them all. 1/2 an ounce heavier than the one piece and it broke down for transport. All wings were built using the same types glue and epoxy and were CA free.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:48 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
I've never built a three piece glider wing, but I'd be willing to bet that the LB2 wing would make an excellent subject for that. Ray might even have a process or ideas for that himself, being a crafty old master.

Kenda sent me a pic of his truly lovely looking '..............' glider, to be temporarily named the 'Kenda' until Blake finds a real name for it

At any rate I reckon it looks a genuine beaut and its picture has to go on the front page, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...44#post9728691 all the best with the maiden flight Blake. Any more pics and stories most welcome.

Speaking of builders and flyers, Don and GD have been a little quiet, hope all is well with you gents.
Steve.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:05 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Hold on, I'm stalled, but I have plenty of altitude to recover before I am in danger of crashing and burning. Too late to write a more detailed post but here is a little pic to spark your curiousity.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:06 PM
Fly it all!!
Gerlach Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
372 Posts
Great moments in the last 121 pages

Thanks for the flash back Steve!!!
teamtwisty is offline Find More Posts by teamtwisty
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:11 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Man... I must be loosing it. It's been so long since I've looked at the first page that I didn't even know that you had posted one of my planes to the "Gallery" on the first post. Thanks Steve! I feel honored.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 01:13 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Honored... Jeff, nah I hope not but you are most welcome. The first page is just there to do its bit and in some small way to promote hand built sailplanes and perhaps inspire new aeromodellers to think 'Yeah, maybe I can do this too after all' rather than just depend on prefabricated gliders alone to get RC airtime and experience.

Building we know leads to higher understanding of aerodynamics and all sorts of other fun stuff, so its the old hands like yourself that can inspire the newbies to build their own and enrich their experience in the hobby and its future. So thanks all you guys for posting up pics because you are doing it, I mean handing something on to the hobby and sport, even if this is just only another thread on an internet forum, every bit must help hey.

Nothing wrong with plastic though, or E-gliders, because I own them myself and love flying them to bits. No, really, i have actually flown some of them to bits.....

Jeff, the Windfree thread has been quiet, hope she is ok and still ready to haul.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 07:53 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
GD, everyone wants an offsider like Rog, its good to have mates to build with and it looks like you blokes have a tonne of fun in the process, thats priceless.

Ok, I'm promising to have the wing done by Sunday, or was that last Sunday? maybe its the Sunday after next.... Lets make it Wednesday then, its an anything can happen day, afterall.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:51 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
You must have missed the news on the Brewers page Steve. The windfree was damaged at Pop Curtis when a wind gust flipped several unsecured awnings over and one of them decided to come down across the wing. Not to worry though, the only damage was a broken rib that can be repaired with ease. Now I know why I built it with carbon spars!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:33 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Wow, just now saw the landing vid of the comp in Queensland! I would never abuse my woodie like that...well...nevermind . Nothing to report here, consumed with other important stuff. Sweep's getting upset from lack of attention but that's ok, first things first.

Off the subject (but what's new), I know you guys got lots of critters in your parts of the world, especially Steve, but here are some pics of critters that my nephew sent from a South Texas watering hole. The critters in the last pic are very prolific in the south .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:38 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Critters

Hi Dwells, Love your pic's, the Kitty Cat, Fox, Owl, Deer we've got here in Santa Rosa, Calif..... even Coyote.... yes even the Big Kitty..... unreal for such a populated area.....

Wylie E. The Coyote
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw