Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 12, 2009, 07:45 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Tales of the high air, thats what we need.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Apr 12, 2009 at 07:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2009, 07:59 AM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Thanks for the tip pics oldcoot and atmos. I am going tips up and I will study your pics closely to decide how to sand them. I think I will start on that soon since I am stalled in other areas till I can figure out my radio scene.

Question: I have some servos from an old Futaba radio system from the early 90's. S28 and S31 I think. I am planning on buying a new radio but was hoping I could use these servos. Leaning towards the DX7, any thoughts, suggestions? If I can use these servos, I can get unstalled on my building progress.

I was hoping to get some quality building time today but forgot that I might have to do something to celebrate this Easter Sunday with the step-grand-kids. Then back to work till the middle of next week. Will try to post fuse pic later today, but no promises.

Thanks all for this great thread, Happy Holiday, Be Seeing You
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:25 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Jeff, Windfree...... ?
Waiting for all this spring wind to stop blowing Steve. I had it with me when I went to the field last Thursday but the wind was up so I didn't want to chance it. As it was I had to add almost a pound of ballast to the E-Paragon to get her to fly half way smooth. Even then she was skittish in some of the gusts. With no ballast system in the Windfree she'd have been landing at Seans place if I had chanced a launch.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:52 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl
HMaybe post pictures of the Riser wing tomorrow.
Here is one I just finished. Maiden later today.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Apr 12, 2009, 03:59 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Ahhhh!

Those outer panels are pure music Steve. Glad to see you progressing.

GD
It's no real problem to do a good blend for your upturned tips. Makes 'em
look sexy! Also, use those older servos! You have more than enough room for them and they have the power to do the job, for sure. Just check for any play they might have and use the better ones. Small servos are great, but you're going to need weight for balance so why not substitute an older servo in place of a hunk of lead. I did.

FC
What a beaut! Those colors talk to you and at altitude that yellow fuse will let you know where you are. Good job.

Happy Easter all
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Apr 12, 2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:08 PM
Joined May 2008
53 Posts
Shearwebs?

Hello- I just started the wing tip section of my oly111 kit. I'm a little confused over the placement of the webshears. The blueprint looks like you only do the first four of the wing tip root. looking at some of the pictures it appears the go all the way to the tip. the two precut bundles that came with the kit have fourteen in each I didn't know if you used one bundle per wing or you have to cut more. Thanks Bruce
hannie is offline Find More Posts by hannie
Old Apr 12, 2009, 06:32 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Not great pics

But what the hey. Busy day. I think I will get more build time later this week, so I will post more pics and progress reports later.

Hannie - There are solid 3/8ths shear webs between the spars out four bays on the wing tips. Then only 1/16th sheet on the outside of the spars top to bottom for the rest of the way to the tip. Hollow between the spars from the 5th bay out to the tip. Does this word description make enough sense, it's hard to make a clear word picture and I don't have photos. Keep asking here on RCGroups if you need a clearer word picture, we would love to help out.

More Soon........Be Seeing You
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:30 PM
Joined May 2008
53 Posts
Thankyou

It makes sense now. This is my first build in quite awhile. the next question is toplace a 1/8" piece of stock under the trailing edge tip in order to give the wing tips a slight measure wash-out.* Washout prevents tip stalls and makes flying easier. * Thanks hannie
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:52 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Hannie, as per Mr. Hayes, no washout on any Skybench design. GD, your fuse looks super and the LE on that panel is pure sex baby! Steve, I agree with Gerald, music, classical music . Got my central spoiler servo mounted today and will have Rx and all secure tomorrow for some pics. Too much partying this weekend has taken it's toll on me for sure...damned Canadian whiskey .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:33 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Wow, great pics!
GD, thats one smooth looking fuse, and unique, easy to see in any sky I'd reckon.
Nice ep Riser FC, all the best in its maiden I'm wishing you better weather than we have down here, its dreadful.

Don, so you are close to radio installation, top stuff dude. Canadian whiskey was the culprit hey. For me I can lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of the CUB brewery company, darn them.....
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:38 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannie
It makes sense now. This is my first build in quite awhile. the next question is toplace a 1/8" piece of stock under the trailing edge tip in order to give the wing tips a slight measure wash-out.* Washout prevents tip stalls and makes flying easier. * Thanks hannie
Hi Bruce. Ditto what the other blokes have said. You can build a little washout into the panels if you wish, but in general it seems most of us agree the O3 doesn't really need it, it has the neatest and most moderate of stall behaviour with no wash at all, at least mine does. Stall behaviour and height loss isn't an issue.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I can't speak for Ray himself but I'm guessing he will say the same sort of thing.

Hey, put some pics up if you like hannie, that'd be cool.

Steve
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Yep, shoulda been drankin' that smoooooth Tennessee stuff... I had a pint of my favorite Gentleman Jack that lasted me about 3 nights of my last road trip... Them Kanooks don't know nuthin' about whiskey...

JW
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:50 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Its fearsome stuff, that gentlemen Jack, personally I love it but it doesn't like me it seems as the bottle gets emptier. Pour a little of the Jack on your mixed fruit salad, a most excellent hair of the dog breakfast indeed.

Hey fellows, what you reckon, do we have a name for GD's sleek looking O3,
how about the Black Beauty, or BB

I've got Patches, Gerald has the big JDSP, and we haven't a name for Don's plane yet its not quite complete. As you can tell, i have a lot to think about of late...
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:24 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,151 Posts
Still no pictures of the completed Riser 2M wing, yet. I spent WAYY too long making finicky little tip panel dihedral braces. And discovered a mistake or two along the way that I was in the process of making, so had to fabricate another bit of spar, etc. Not sure how much more I'll do tonight; got a boo-boo to fix. Dropped one top panel and of course, being just the frame, it burst apart. Then I just discovered a bit ago that the trailing edge must have been propped up on a scrap of something I didn't see, or something, because it is out of alignment. So... off it comes. (Gotta love fixin' 'em before they're even done!)

I'm making a full D-box sheet for the wing, and those of you familiar with the Riser 2M may remember all the ribs have capstrips top and bottom, anyway, and only had 1-inch sheeting top and bottom on the LE. (Never figured out the reason for that). I figure it'll cost me about an ounce in AUW to have the full D-box sheeted. BUT... (optimistically), the wing will be all framed up by tomorrow night some time. A lot of the fiddly bits I spent time making up for right and left halves is already done now, so the left half should go together a lot more quickly. Still lots of little pieces to cut and fit yet though... shear webs and capstrips (which I cut and fit individually). We'll see how it goes.
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:23 AM
Joined May 2008
53 Posts
Hi Steve
Thanks for the advice. I was going by terry forbes instructions he said to put a piece of 1/8 stock under the trailing edge tip. I've been bouncing back and forth between Bob legue and Terry forbes's instuctions. Seeing your pictures here have been a great help. One question Steve what is the stock you have running between your ribs on the trailing edge. Great job on your plane. Thanks Bruce