dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2009, 09:37 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Well I liked it Don.

Whats the Bot been up to, any building? I'm starting on the LB2 outer wings shortly, I'm trying to get motivated.

Has Gerald decided on that next build project yet? - sorry if i might have missed you saying so Gerald.
Steve.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Apr 07, 2009, 11:08 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Dang!
Don is going stir crazy.....havin' to make up poems to keep his mind active!
Oh, and Don....I've run out of loot and can't afford to build the rest of the wall. Besides, the damned wind keeps blowin' it down each time I start!!

No new builds on the board, Steve. I have another Kestrel 2M in the box, but I'm just no longer a 2M person. Y'all got me spoiled with them Big @ssed Wangs. Tried to sell my Sig T-34 Scale kit to finance another Sky Bench rig but nobody came through.
How are you feelin'?

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Apr 08, 2009, 01:06 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Feeling like a beer about this time of afternoon Gerald. I'm sure someone will want the Sig sooner or later.

I've been contemplating the Bird outer wings, which i find quite interesting as a design and airfoil concept, they are rather different aren't they and I wonder how many variations of their form were went through before that layout was decided upon.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 08:16 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Not sure. I know that the original Bird of Time caught the eye of many a person when they first came out. Can't say that I have seen too many changes in the original form. Internal, and airfoil shape are all I know about.
Looking forward to seeing your panels!
By the way, are you going to try to outdo OZ in post 1683 in his covering job?
That thing is beautiful!

Gerald
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Apr 08, 2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 04:27 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Well I liked it Don.

Whats the Bot been up to, any building? I'm starting on the LB2 outer wings shortly, I'm trying to get motivated.

Has Gerald decided on that next build project yet? - sorry if i might have missed you saying so Gerald.
Steve.
Steve, I don't think there's much building going on between the lot of us. I understand now what "the building season" really is. Spring time hits and you get consumed by outdoor chores and the like and bench time goes bye-bye. For building season instead of "make hay while the sun shines" it's more like "make planes before the sun shines" .

Yup Gerald, a little stir crazy mixed with a little spring fever makes you talk out of your mind. I was expecting the wind wall to be completed by this weekend...slacker .
Old Apr 08, 2009, 07:50 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Work on the Oly 3 has been a little slow for the last week or so: work for money, play in the Victory Garden to get ready for Summer growing, Spring chores have all gotten in the way. I do hope to be able to post a few pics this weekend of work that I accomplished a week or so ago that I haven't posted yet. I also hope to make a little progress on the plane, but we have been working ( for Money ) outside this last week and the wind has just been beating the crap out of us all day, almost every day. I'm whipped, and it's only Wednesday. Oh Well, Work Is Good!

Even though I had to take a short break from building, the new schedule is sorted out. Actually, I am also at a major decision point with my Oly: Flaps, layout, Spoilers? layout etc. I was hoping someone might get ahead of me in their build and post some solutions so I wouldn't have to think so much about it all. (Wait a sec.....Thinking is the best way to travel......and it helps to put me to sleep at night....this is starting to look like fun again!)

I am also wondering how other people have done their wingtips, not enough pictures posted here so I am afraid I might get carried away and try to do something too creative.

I just got home out of this non-stop wind and I am a little drained, so that's all folks.......Be Seeing You!!! (Today I feel like...) the RoBot
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:48 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
GD, I used the solid balsa tips supplied, and I'm glad I did because they are strong, energy abrsorbing and yet relatively light. Built up tips are even lighter and are simply beautiful to behold, but i long ago learn't that there is usually price to pay for that sooner or later, they don't take a hit to well.

Must admit though, I took my time with shaping my solid jobbies to a shape that I thought made fine aerodynamic sense. Sorry thats all I can say about the O3 tips, but there is likely to be other O3 buiders here that can tell you what they did with their tips.

Gerald has both full size flaps and spoilers, he would be the man to ask about the coupling effect of both or each on their own. I've got only flaperons, no flippy flappy's on the top of my oly wings.

You want a pic of my tips?
Steve.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:40 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Forgive me but seeming i'm here and lurking around aimlessly, I can report that I've pulled my finger out a little and began thw wing homestretch on the LB2. I'm trying to stretch the build out a bit to occupy some of my idle time so I've lots of time to think about it, and the stresses I will put on it and how to best go about explode proofing the wings from mouldie-like high pressure winch launches blah blah.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 05:42 AM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
If it is not too much of a bother, I wouldn't mind seeing how you sanded out your tips Steve. I haven't quite figured out Ray's drawing yet. I'll trade you with a couple pics of my preliminary, unpolished fuse paint job and maybe a couple more if I recover enough from the brutal week of work out in the howling wind. More soon, Be Seeing You.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 06:46 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Ok GD, I'll do so in tomorows morning light.
But in the meantime..... a random tip;

- nah, can't think of one...

- ok, give up smoking, save your lungs...
Old Apr 11, 2009, 07:30 AM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Ah Hah!!!

So THAT's the secret to Aussie flying.
Steve, is that your pilot there? I see that he is wearing his body armor for crash proof flight. Cool! Glad to see you are making some progress on the outboards.

GD
I will add a pic a bit later of my tips. I just formed them up on the outline then sanded hell out of them to get an aero shape....then tilted them up 20 degrees. Don't know if it really helps the flight all that much but it keeps them from dragging through the weeds and tall grass a bit better. And yes, this dang wind is a bitch!
I might add that yes, I have the flaps and spoilers. They are not coupled. The main reason I did both of them is so I can fly RES contests with the flaps
disabled then turn around and fly open class with the flaps enabled.

Gerald
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Apr 11, 2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 07:58 AM
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Thanks, Oldcoot2, I was thinking about tilting the tips up to help keep them from ground dragging. I'll post some pics of my slight progress later also.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:06 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Steve... You giving away the secret of our hybrid balsa here?
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:35 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Yummy!