Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:53 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Roger that Steve, I need some R&R but have 3 pallets of sod ordered for this weekend . Will cancel if we get the rain we're supposed to. Very neat under your hood also. I've been thinking about the big @ssed switch that came with the radio and may just P&P like you are instead. There is lot of space in that nose block and if I had it to do over, I would have made the hole bigger and deeper, just hard to tell when it's a rough block.

I'm tired of dealing with tape and want a mechanical attachment for dem wangs. I dropped a piece of tape on my wing once on a hot day, and by the time I got it off, me MoneyKote was pulled and distorted. No tape on me Oly...nope, nope .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:12 PM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
If you have to learn to build with your feet, I should be only about a month behind your LB2
Don

Hey, thats not fair.... thats.... blackmail!! -You saying I should have the LB2 done first?

Scoundrel's- the lot of you..

atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:56 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Don
Have no idea as to the amount of pull to set the spring. It CANNOT be done with fingers....only a pair of needle nosed pliers. I'm a packrat Don and I have mower parts, motorcycle parts, car parts, etc, so I have a varied selection of springs from lots of projects. If you are truly going to spring the wings be very sure to put those small blocks in the wing root as a holding feature for your hooks. Let me know if you can't find the right spring and I will come up with one for you. Be sure to clean the sod dirt out from under your fingernails before you get back to work on the Oly!!!! If you don't then you will have BROWN spots on the wing.......uhhh....that's hard to explain.

Steve
I'm not against using tape, it is just that the springs work better for me. My Condor needs tape to keep the wings together and in our hot, dusty climate I am constantly having to clean tape goop off my fuselage. I quit the slimer flying for that very reason, well, the noise too. I'm TIRED of cleaning airplanes.
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Mar 23, 2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:21 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Steve at my rate of progress, yes, you'll probably be 2 metering around before my maiden. Yes, scoundrels indeed .

Thanks Gerald, same here, got tons of junk and never throw away a single screw. Yes, the support for the spring setup needs to be hefty...not a problem. I'll keep digging for an expansion spring that's suitable. I was also thinking of using a Nylon wire tie. I got about a thousand of the small ones and may be the ticket. Just clip it off and chunk it at the end of the day.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:51 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Nice Steve, I will definately bevel my other TE pieces before the ribs go down...good idea!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:20 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Steve
Superior planning!

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:55 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
Now why didn't I think of that? Good idea, atmos, keep 'em coming!

No pics from this shop for a few days, too many parts that need work to get to the next step.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Mar 24, 2009, 02:10 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Stevie, are you bleeding again? Looks like drops of pain on your board . Hope it's just marker or something .
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:07 PM
delete account
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
LOl, no blood yet Don. Like Gerald my O3 has a splash or three of claret helping to hold it together. Should have more pics tonight, if ya can't sleep then build I say.
Last edited by atmosteve; Mar 24, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 09:35 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
I was also thinking of using a Nylon wire tie. I got about a thousand of the small ones and may be the ticket. Just clip it off and chunk it at the end of the day.
I have been using nylon ties, but my bulk bag from Home Depot has limited sizes. The ones small enough to go through the eyebolts are too short and the ones long enough are too wide. I have been reduced to using two in a head-to-tail configuration. It is a little tricky to get set correctly (a spring would probably be easier) but they are cheap and work just fine.

I need to hit the electronics store - they stock all the different sizes (and sell shrink wrap for Dean's connectors at half the price of the hobby shops).

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:39 AM
delete account
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Very low humidity today and warm temps have been great for building, glue dries quick.

Later, after the two inner panels have been joined I can put the two remaining center ply joiner braces in (over the first larger two, after i cut more rib slots for them) , then apply the vertical grained 1/16" thick sheer webs to each side of the spars between ribs, and then start on the outer wing panels.

I'll leave the top sheeting of all four wing panels last after it is all joined, just to make sure of a straight, wash free wing (wash meaning twist). Not to mention I have to design the ply blocks and re-inforcing in the center of the wings to accomodate the wing bolts first.

Nothing much fun happened today, sorry, apart from reading some very funny emails a member has sent me to help pass the time, like the Sony FPOS video.
Oh, and i got epoxy in my hair.
Last edited by atmosteve; Mar 25, 2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:52 AM
Fly it all!!
Gerlach Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
372 Posts
Build not sleep!!

Great start on your build Steve.
This will be fun all the way too the Maiden flight!!
Great therapy and so much fun.

><><Chris><><
teamtwisty is offline Find More Posts by teamtwisty
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:57 AM
delete account
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Thanks Chris, yeah, it is a good therapy. I apologise for not posting the build over at the OBBBC, but its all to much brainwork at the moment with getting spelling and sentences right.
I'm enjoying members flight reports, pics and new gadgetry though.

EDIT; I hope the sequence of pics and words makes sense guys, I'm trying. I know its a bit basic for you seasoned aeromodellers out there but I put the pics up more with new builders in mind.
Like the many build pictures you fellows have posted it might help to take some of the woodie mystery out of building your own sailplanes for some if they want to read it.
Last edited by atmosteve; Mar 25, 2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:33 AM
Fly it all!!
Gerlach Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
372 Posts
Its way perfect!!

Your building methods will inspire many modelers too strive for perfection and the enjoyment of the project.

><><Chris><><
teamtwisty is offline Find More Posts by teamtwisty