Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 21, 2009, 03:56 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,593 Posts
Gerald, I had the same ..... better known as a Duck's A--.

Check the pic, that is what I have been doing today ... mostly hunting down Pileated Woodpeckers with my camera. Now there's one most probably don't know. The eagle's nest is about 25 minutes from home, can you see the Mom at work?

Ray
Sky Bench
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2009, 05:02 PM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,056 Posts
Here are photos of my Oly III built with the help of my son, can't wait to fly; it was an easy kit to build...
thanks Ray

Trent
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:06 PM
Joined Apr 2003
1,593 Posts
Awesome, what e power eupitment did you use?

Ray
Sky Bench
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:28 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,056 Posts
I found a great deal on the following:
Aveox 27/26/1.5 geared inrunner
CC 45A ESC
13X7 Cam folder
2300 Mah 4s A123 battery for the motor
NiCd for the servos/rx.

I'm getting 320 Watts out @ 32A. I'm sure I could get more out of it with a larger prop but I'm going to try it with the above and see how it works.
Trent
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:29 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Some build pics for atmosteve

I let someone talk me into fiberglassing the fuse. these pics are just before starting, when I couldn't take sanding anymore. My schedule will be .56 OZ. glass from wing trailing edge top and sides to tail. The sides are much stiffer after the epoxy set up. .75 OZ. top and sides to the front. 2 OZ. bottom only to wing trailing edge with probably .75 on bottom rear. 3M has a number 45 spray adhesive that works fine for helping to hold the glass to the fuse while painting on the epoxy and is much less expensive than 77 or78 spray.

I measured the angle of the sheeting to the rib bottom and used this handy calculator to figure out what distance relationships for the leading edge to table edge to get the right slope on the bottom of the L.E....

http://www.mathopenref.com/coordslope.html

This third time (only one more) took less time to shape than to write this. Razor plane to get close and a quick sand to finish off with protective blue tape removed. (I found some inexpensive blue tape at our local Family Dollar store that I prefer to 3M in many different applications. Intertape brand, I think it is less than 1/2 the price.)

Tappity-tappity-tappity-tappity-tap.......Waiting for SOME glue to dry so I can make some more progress on the plane...............AGAIN!!! DO NOT do many of the mods I have unless you WANT the build to take a long time (like me) to help you resist the temptation to buy another kit too soon!

Get well soon Atmos, and I hope you can build while laid up..........
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:59 PM
Joined Apr 2003
1,593 Posts
Trent, Let us know how she flys for you.

GDBOT ... lots of good info and pics. pretty cool ... there is a reason for that nose shape ... it works very good in contests landings to stick it where you want it.

Ray
Sky Bench
Old Mar 21, 2009, 08:12 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Sorry forgot to say to Seanpcola..... NICE OLY!!!!!! thats a very modern looking twist to the covering scheme, Wylie must be counting the time until its arrival.

Trent's E-Oly is very smart looking too, like everyone else I'd love to hear maiden stories behind gliders that look that good. Love the photo of your son propping up the Oly, that's priceless.

GD, kicking goals mate, always enjoy your very considered approach to building. Yep I'm in the same boat, I don't recomend people change a thing when building Ray's OlyIII either, but if we do its because we know exactly what we are doing and take full responsibility for it, I stretched mine to 141" and reduced dihedral a couple of degrees but I put a lot of thought into it first. The Oly would be perfectly balanced and performing if built as per Ray's recommendations at any rate, and thats the way new builders should go.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Mar 21, 2009, 08:21 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2
Steve
Now that we know that you are recovering how about the bike? Is it totalled out?
Gerald

Damage to plastics and handlebar's only Gerald, front mudgaurd and headlight enclosure, bars were bent. Forks are still good. The bike is a pretty serious trail/enduro type, so its built for punishment and it took some! Mostly I'm amazed i didn't break any bones but my helmet hit a guide post on the way down, lights out. Lucky the bike can be fixed cheaply and insurance covers roo hits (it has to down here!) Don's been here and I'd bet he may have seen the sort of road kill this country generates during his short visit, there is wildlife everywhere. Eagles can be a real problem.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:44 AM
Fly it all!!
Gerlach Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
372 Posts
Steves no balsa helmet.

Thanks for the up date on your bikes damage Steve.
Terry and I just loved Trents photo of his son holding up the brand new E-OlyIII
PRICELESS!!!!

><><Chris><><
teamtwisty is offline Find More Posts by teamtwisty
Old Mar 22, 2009, 03:36 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
No worries Chris. Trent's photo is a one-off classic hey. Thats one's going straight to the card and billiards rumpus room boys.

I head butted the poor roo, last thing i remember. My visor got a little smashed. Riders, buy the best helmet that you can afford. Mine was a fibreglass/carbon composite and I'm still alive due only to it. It's cactus now, it may have hairline fractures for all i know.

C'mon, DON!!!!!! surely you have some wing build pics for your poor old injured, housebound, non-flying and very sore woody mates . We can't let you go and maiden the Wells O3 without some leadup pics, we are counting on you buddy, don't let us down....
Old Mar 22, 2009, 04:07 AM
Joined Apr 2003
1,593 Posts
Trent,

I'm sure there are a lot of guys that would like to see close up photos on the motor installation. I would like to put them up on my web to be heplful to the legions of guys that are installing e power in my Woody kits.

Ray
Sky Bench
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:48 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,056 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words regarding my Oly! Iím very inexperienced with electric motors and couldnít have done the conversion without the help of some very nice people here on RCGroups (JCstalls & JimNM)

Ray, I would be happy to take some photographs of the install and send them to you at Skybench.
Trent
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:38 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,066 Posts
Trent,

Gorgeous Oly III. Almost a "negative" covering job of the one I just completed, but I like your's even more.

Yeah Steve, I would guess the helmet is junk. No reason to risk it. Maybe you can cut it up for composite brackets and such for your future builds.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:39 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,066 Posts
That's Gerald in post #1507? I thought that was James Dean.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:34 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Heck, Gerald's purtier nowadays than he wuz back then....

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman