HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2008, 08:07 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Discussion
Lindberg Chris Craft Sport Fisherman

Has anyone gotten one of the new Lindberg Chris Craft Sport Fisherman models, or considered building it. Also, is there anywhere to get info or specs on it? All the sites that I can find that have it (very few) don't really give much information about it. Also, is it out and available, or "coming soon"?
lyman135 is offline Find More Posts by lyman135
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2008, 09:27 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,725 Posts
Lyman 135- The Lindberg “Chris~Craft” 40’ Sport Fisherman is already past the due in date by a week as of this posting. As it stands now we can expect the kits to come in any day now. The Lindberg “Chris~Craft” Connie looks like it will be in the latter part of this month or the beginning of June for delivery. We are taking orders now at MACK for either kit with the price being $75.00 with a shipping charge of $10.00 as of now. The shipping charges will be going up in the near future due to the increase of the surcharges FEDEX is now placing on the orders we are shipping.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old May 09, 2008, 09:36 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Thanks for the info. I actually sent an order for the sport fisherman from MACK last week!
Old May 10, 2008, 08:52 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyman135
Has anyone gotten one of the new Lindberg Chris Craft Sport Fisherman models, or considered building it. Also, is there anywhere to get info or specs on it? All the sites that I can find that have it (very few) don't really give much information about it. Also, is it out and available, or "coming soon"?
It is a 1/16th scale vacuform model 30'' long with a single piece hull. All small details are injection molded some chrome plated. The deck and cabin structures are all vacuformed of fairly sturdy plastic. The hull is actually stronger than Midwest or Billing kits and much stronger than Dumas hulls. This is based on an old Lindberg kit and I assume that the same molds will be used. FrankG would you agree with that??
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old May 10, 2008, 01:01 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,725 Posts
CHARLIE- If they do everything the same as the last go around , yes it is a very strong vac hull. Since I have not seen the new version of the kit I can only assume. You know what happens when you ASS-of -U-&-ME. The old kit that I had from Lindbergh was really a nice build and turned out to be a real show stopper with the out riggers in place. It was also one of the fastest scale model that I have ever built, much, much faster than my PT boats.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old May 10, 2008, 01:04 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,942 Posts
Hurry up, Lindberg!!! (yeah, I need more hulls like a need more holes in my head!!! )
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old May 10, 2008, 01:40 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
CHARLIE- If they do everything the same as the last go around , yes it is a very strong vac hull. Since I have not seen the new version of the kit I can only assume. You know what happens when you ASS-of -U-&-ME. The old kit that I had from Lindbergh was really a nice build and turned out to be a real show stopper with the out riggers in place. It was also one of the fastest scale model that I have ever built, much, much faster than my PT boats.
Know what you mean about the ''A'' word. Saw a fellow one time that replaced the plastic outriggers with brass and music wire and would go trolling for minnows in the town pond. It worked!!
Old May 10, 2008, 08:42 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Hurry up, Lindberg!!! (yeah, I need more hulls like a need more holes in my head!!! )
I agree I need more holes as well hehehehehe
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman
Old May 11, 2008, 06:54 AM
Joined Sep 2006
74 Posts
I own a 30 inch Sports Fisherman. Don't know who made it. I am in Manila and I do fiberglass boats. I made a mold of a 42 inch PT109. Decks are all Philippine wood, stained and top coated with polyurethane. No plywoods or plastics. Fiberglass and wood only. We do automotive finish, acrylic or polyurethane. I can make a mould of the sports F. if I don't run into copyrights problem. I put electric motgors in them, speed 500 silver mtor, geared. They run on 2 SLA 6 volt lantern batts. Shafts have water seal and I use belt and pulleys.

Anyone interested, I can send pix. Email me at rcdevices@yahoo.com.ph

Bravokilo
bravokilo is offline Find More Posts by bravokilo
Old May 16, 2008, 02:14 PM
ny
Joined Mar 2007
6 Posts
hay I just want to let you know that I stoped by the Lhs and the lindbergs 1:32 pt 109 is in stock now. Also at horizon hobby.
red dwarf is offline Find More Posts by red dwarf
Old May 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Can these plastic models be built with CA glue, or is there something else that works better on this material? I wouldn't think plastic model cement would be strong enough, especially if its going to be R/C.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:44 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,551 Posts
Plastic model cement is the best thing. The glue actually melts the Styrene so the two plastic halves actually weld themselves together. The best plastic model glue that I have found has been Tennax 7R. It's a liquid that flows by capillary action.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old May 17, 2008, 07:04 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,350 Posts
The problem with plastic cement: Joints MUST be clamped to be strong. In fact, best if they're smooshed together and rubbed around a bit and then clamped to really weld the interface. I've had many structural joints pop apart when loaded due to not being properly clamped (deck housing to deck joint on a Lindy Fletcher comes to mind). In difficult-to-clamp joints, CA might be better...

But I've also seen that in softer styrene, like Evergreen strips, the plastic dissolves easier and welds easier.

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old May 17, 2008, 09:29 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,057 Posts
The large surface area's to be glued on this boat would require clamps anyway. I've got to agree with Pat on this. I good liquid cement is a must for it,just don't get your fingers near the seam or it's fingerprint time on the boat. If the other kits in the renewed Lindberg is any indication,such as the ''Graf Zeppelin'', the plastic will be softer than the older kits. Way back the styrene used was hard and brittle. But most kits now use a softer easy to work with type of styrene that even a good lacquer thinner will work on. I still use good old Testers liqiud but Tennex,weldbond and others work well too.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:56 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,022 Posts
I used to build plastic models eons ago, and used the glue that came in a tube. A year or so ago, I bought some Plastruct pieces and a bottle of Plastruct liquid cement. Wow! I wish I would have learned about liquid glue when I was a kid. It is super easy to use, flows instantly by capillary action and in my experiecne makes a good strong bond.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot