HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:20 PM
Marietta, GA
Joined Mar 2008
21 Posts
Thanks so much Jeff for confirming. I am building the TF 1/5 Scale P-47 and plan to convert to electric.
bmw2go is offline Find More Posts by bmw2go
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Feb 2010
386 Posts
Here is a video I just got uploaded to Youtube on the maiden flight of the electric conversion so Gree can put his mind to ease on the weight issue of this plane. I still have some detailing to do with adding the 4 bladed prop I recently bought and getting a dummy radial in the cowl but you can see how she flies. Also, I did not fill the air retracts properly in the morning so they did not work on this day. The plane is painted like Gabby Gabreski's P-47 seen in these images.
R/C P-47 electric conversion of Top Flight red box kit (3 min 57 sec)
Jeff Van Hofwegen is online now Find More Posts by Jeff Van Hofwegen
Last edited by Jeff Van Hofwegen; Mar 11, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:58 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Thanks guys. Ron this is the 1/7th scale gold edition kit, not the red box.

And Jeff,methinks for letting me know about the weight not being an issue. One less thing to worry about!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:30 PM
Marietta, GA
Joined Mar 2008
21 Posts
Thanks Gree for confirming - it was hard to tell the size from your earlier pictures. Please keep us posted on your maiden flight.
bmw2go is offline Find More Posts by bmw2go
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:10 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Thanks very much for posting the video too Jeff. I just got a chance to watch it. That plane flew great! Excellent landing too.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Feb 2010
386 Posts
Thanks Gree! I look forward to yours flying just like it!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:22 AM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Van Hofwegen View Post
Thanks Gree! I look forward to yours flying just like it!
I noticed you took off with full flaps. Is that how you always do it ? Great flying BTW. You should be our flying instructor ! Please. Any chance of some more videos ?
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:17 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
I do hope you have a 100% successful first flight Gree. If it is'nt, then please don't post any pics' I don't think I could bear the sight of that beautiful model damaged.

Pom Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joined Feb 2010
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
I noticed you took off with full flaps. Is that how you always do it ? Great flying BTW. You should be our flying instructor ! Please. Any chance of some more videos ?
Yea, you are right. usually take off with half flap or no flap. I was filming the flaps and did not move them back before takeoff.
I have one more video of this plane with two landings on it. i will see about getting it uploaded to youtube.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:16 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
Oh my god gree! I have not checked your thread in so long...congratulations, your plane looks simply stunning! You did a amazing job painting and detailing.
I am blown away by how good she looks! ataboy Gree!!!

Andrew.
essar is offline Find More Posts by essar
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:26 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,077 Posts
Hi Gree, only just if you consider that may help you about what to expect on flying, I upload some vids of my TF ARF Jug. For takeof I use no flaps at all if there is some wind or breeze, sometimes only 1 quarter travel or so...
For landing I think is maybe mandatory ... on my maiden fligh I ripped one leg cause I landed too fast without flaps. Friend Ron 101 teached me how this ship must be flown and landed. since then my plane scored over forty flights and no problem at all. I use all time full flaps on landing and sometimes even for flying low and slows fly-bys...
Only could I wish you is a happy maiden and enjoy your marvelous ship during many and enjoyable flighs as a truly reward for your astonishing work on the bench.
Best regards...
Manuel Barba.

EMPIRE OF THE JUGS...OR GREMILINS DELEIGH... (9 min 0 sec)

DAY OF THUNDERS (4 min 30 sec)

TOP FLITE P-47 LONG RANGE MISSION (7 min 4 sec)
ultimatetwo is online now Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Mar 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:45 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,835 Posts
Iron Maiden!
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:24 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Thanks guys. Ron this is the 1/7th scale gold edition kit, not the red box.

And Jeff,methinks for letting me know about the weight not being an issue. One less thing to worry about!
Gree ... I'm just stunned as to how well your "details" turned out ... I don't think I've ever seen another model with this good of a weathering/paint job. Sharp where it needs to be and subtle where it needs to be ... perfect man, perfect!

One question ... what "clear" did you use as your overcoat?

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:21 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
Gree ... I'm just stunned as to how well your "details" turned out ... I don't think I've ever seen another model with this good of a weathering/paint job. Sharp where it needs to be and subtle where it needs to be ... perfect man, perfect!

One question ... what "clear" did you use as your overcoat?

Colin
Thanks for the comments Colin, greatly appreciated. I'm glad you can appreciate the subtlety in the paintwork. I just used a satin clear rattle can to go over the aluminium colour. I tried a gloss one as well but it made the surface look too shiny for the weathered look I was after. Note though that I just gave one or two very light mist coats, otherwise it seemed to melt the aluminium paint. Afterwards I rubbed the clear back lightly with 0000 grade steel wool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetwo View Post
Hi Gree, only just if you consider that may help you about what to expect on flying, I upload some vids of my TF ARF Jug.
Tanks very much Manuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by essar View Post
Oh my god gree! I have not checked your thread in so long...congratulations, your plane looks simply stunning! You did a amazing job painting and detailing.
I am blown away by how good she looks! ataboy Gree!!!

Andrew.
Nice of you to revisit Andrew! And I really appreciate your feedback and 'attaboy'. I'm still stunned I have finished it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser View Post
I do hope you have a 100% successful first flight Gree. If it is'nt, then please don't post any pics' I don't think I could bear the sight of that beautiful model damaged.

Pom Jeff
Thanks very much Jeff! It has been great to have you along for the ride. Don't worry I am not going to rush the maiden. I will actually get some practice in flying my CMP Zero first before I tackle this one.

I am tempted to do some scale work on it though. I always wanted to do some rivet detail, glass the wing and put in some more scale retracts. I've even found some electric retracts that are more scale. We will see if I can resist doing this! If I can't I will do a thread on it for the hell of it (after a couple of months of writing first of course!).

Have you started any build threads I can come and heckle?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:50 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Good move with the Zero Gree.

No mate, I have'nt even finished the one (Cessna 172) that I am building, though this should be rectified soon. Of course I will post pictures for you to make sarcastic comments about. Well it would only be fair would'nt it!
Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser