SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:01 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer View Post
WOW! And all of the other words people have used to describe your work.....well except for maybe Jeff......he's just jealous....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser View Post
So true, but of course I would never admit it.

Pom Jeff
Ahha! I always knew it! By the way I like Pom Jeff. I think we'll use that from now on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerophilia View Post
Nice work. I unsubscribed myself somehow before christmas, you've been working hard!
Glad to have you back Aerophilia. Actually the build has accelerated a lot because a lot of the prep work was done previously, now I am detailing things are mainly just being bolted back together again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Hey, since you paid so much attention to getting the guns "straight" did you remember to point them in a little to converge the fire at the scale distance?
Actually I converged them a little closer than would have been scale. Hmm you're right, I'll pull them out and do it again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
Been away from the build for a bit. Man you do nice work. You sure you want to fly this thing? Some of the nicest detailing/finishing I have seen on the forums. You have to be chuffed to see it coming together at last.

Regards,

Jeff (#2 or #3, I forget which)
Very glad to have you back back Jeff! I thought you had gotten bored and forever wandered off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Wow, absolutely museum quality work man.
Thanks! That's a big call though. Lucky you can't see all the bits I don't photograph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforce9 View Post
Hi Gree,

Just dropping in from RC scale builder. It's great to see that you're almost done. Looks awesome! I still have a looonnngg way to go to catch up.

I have a question for you on your servo hatches. I just did mine with fiberglass similar to what you did. However, since the thickness of the hatch is less than 1/16 inch it ends up resting such that it isn't even with the surface of the wing. On top of that, once I glass the wing it will be even more of a difference. What did you do to deal with that?
Hi Steve, I actually made my hatches quite thick, the same thickness as the balsa that was supposed to sheeted onto the bottom of the wing. However I accidentally sheeted it with thicker balsa, so I simple sat a couple of small washers inside the hatch to raise them up a bit! High tech I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
Nice .50 cals
I bet you say that to all the.... well, whatever we are.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:05 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Tail Navigation Light

A Very Small Step
But a step forward nonetheless. I held a clear LED in some plies, and used a hacksaw blade to cut the end off and epoxy it in place.

I spent the day charging batteries for an FPV day tomorrow, but the weather gods don't seem to want to cooperate, so I might be working on the '47 a bit tomorrow. We will see.

By the way if anyone is interested, this was my last FPV flight... I might not leave this up for long...

Transcendence (2 min 50 sec)

pass: cloudy.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:56 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,834 Posts
It's just a matter of time, Gree.

The -47 looks awesome. Mine is on hold for a while. I have been finding great deals on some other planes and have been putting them together.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:46 AM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2009
147 Posts
hi gree did you put extra spars on both top and bottom of the wing i cant tell from the photos. this is where im at

thanks for all the help
amxen is offline Find More Posts by amxen
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:32 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Amxen, I have very detailed posts about this back in this thread, so if you can bear to trail through some of the older stuff you'll find a lot of written detail to go with the photos of the set up.

Oh, short answer is yes.

Thanks NCrealestateguy!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:47 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,310 Posts
As always, really awesome work. So what are you down to on the list now other than finding a place to fly and praying?
I have to thank you again for this thread. Between looking at your work , helping a friend glass a wing, and the pimp your arf series on utube I am truely inspired to do better with my planes from now on. I'm sure it will take a while to get there, but that's part of the fun.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:51 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
As always, really awesome work. So what are you down to on the list now other than finding a place to fly and praying?
I have to thank you again for this thread. Between looking at your work , helping a friend glass a wing, and the pimp your arf series on utube I am truely inspired to do better with my planes from now on. I'm sure it will take a while to get there, but that's part of the fun.

Thanks for the kind words V2rider. I agrees with you, I am having a lot of fun and getting a great sense of satisfaction from learning all of these processes as I go. I am really glad you are learning from my blathering on here as well!

To answer your question, this is what I can think of that is yet to be completed. I have remade the list below...

Things left to do...
1. Make the wing tip navigation light interiors and install, plus glue on the wingtip lenses (I have made a start on this and will post soon)
2. Fine adjust the inner gear doors - possibly make stops for the doors to rest on
3. Finish building and detailing bomb pylons
4. Finish building drop tanks
Building complete here

5. Get new 6S 5000maH batteries
6. Balance
7. Test the power output of the motor and prop
8. Finish writing my PhD!!
9. Find a place to actually fly this thing!
10. Pray hard to a god I don't believe in
11. Fly...

Oh and the most important thing of all
12. LAND!

So as you can see I am very very close to being finished. I can hardly believe it. The maiden will definitely not come very soon, as I have to find that place to fly first, as it has to be perfect. I lost a zero once because I went ahead and flew it in a place I really knew was not suitable. I won't be doing that with this thing!
Last edited by Gree; Feb 25, 2013 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Forgot some stuff
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:45 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Wingtip Navigation Lights

They'll Do...
I am not very happy with how these turned out, but I am at the stage where I could not face making them again. To construct the shrouds, I used blue foam and sanded it to shape, coating with 30 minute epoxy when done. The bulb is the tip of a coloured LED sawn off, and the shape of the pressed metal is a sheet of styrene.

Very average looking - but it'll do.

I will cut and glue the clear lenses I made some time ago on when I get some motivation.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:04 AM
United Kingdom, England, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2011
111 Posts
We have a saying over here -

" It's a x feet model" ie It's a 3 foot model meaning that from 3 feet and more it looks good - below that you start to notice things. I've seen models that don't even come in the 100 foot category

I would say yours is well in the 1 foot and less category. and for a flying, not static model you have nothing to be calling average

--
Mark
Mark Derbyshire is offline Find More Posts by Mark Derbyshire
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:58 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Wingtip Lights Complete

Thanks very much Mark. I really appreciate the comments. It is more the fact that I know I can do better that is frustrating. I was rushing the job and made mistakes along the way.

One More Job Down
Well the lights are complete now. The plastic lenses I made by heating and stretching some plastic over the wingtip before the section was cut out fit absolutely perfectly - so I am a little mollified about the overall outcome.

Man I am really feeling over this build the closer it gets to completion. The motivation is getting a lot less too!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:51 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Looks pretty darn good to me Gree!!! Even from 16,000km away, the detail is amazing!!! LOL
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:19 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,188 Posts
Wow, that's an amazing looking model
really incredible work
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:09 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Thanks guys...

Oh my god they've reinstated the views on the images!
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:36 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,188 Posts
Its the #1 viewed thread in Glow to Electric Conversions, the rest of us have view envy

of course its also one of the oldest
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:50 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Slammed!! Ouch