SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:17 PM
Joined Aug 2008
523 Posts
Gree,

WOW! And all of the other words people have used to describe your work.....well except for maybe Jeff......he's just jealous....

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Feb 2010
388 Posts
Wow, it really looks fantastic! Good luck with the maiden!
jeff
Jeff Van Hofwegen is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Van Hofwegen
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:09 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,662 Posts
Absolutely
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:12 PM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,153 Posts
Nice work. I unsubscribed myself somehow before christmas, you've been working hard!
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:19 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
810 Posts
I am embarrassed to start mine now!!! Very nice Gree!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:56 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
I think I will sell my kit after seeing this. I have the tanks, bombs, and full cockpit. Just missing the cowl
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:43 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer View Post
Gree,

WOW! And all of the other words people have used to describe your work.....well except for maybe Jeff......he's just jealous....

al
So true, but of course I would never admit it.

Pom Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:04 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,952 Posts
Guns Installed

Thanks very much guys, it's really nice to hear your comments. Keeps the creative juices flowing... Glad to know you're all still out there after so long!

Guns, Guns, Guns, Guns
I found the aluminium tubing I bought for the gun flash tubes a long time ago, and set about measuring up the length of each tube from my trusty 3 view. I used a metal cutting drop saw to cut up the tube to ensure I got square ends. A lot of filing and sanding later (the saw only seemed to melt the aluminium when it cut it leaving massive burs!) and I had 8 flash tubes ready to install. If I had the motivation, or if this was a larger scale model, I would also put smaller tubes inside to simulate the actual guns, but I am in the 'get it done' frame of mind right now.

The jig I made up and used to drill the mounting holes for the guns paid off, as they went in pretty straight. Only a little tweaking was required. As much as it will make transporting the wing a pain in the butt, I roughened up the ends of the tubes with sandpaper, then epoxied them into the holes. They are there for good now, I will just have to be very careful when moving the model.

After all of this I got out the airbrush again and weathered the tubes with Tamiya Smoke, making sure to make the stains heaviest at the ends of the tubes, and then fading it back along the length. I thought that since the guns get progressively closer to the leading edge of the wing, I would reflect this by making the outmost cordite stains a lot darker, and then making them lighter as the guns get longer. I think this would be accurate. Using my imagination here!

One less job to do...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Last edited by Gree; Feb 23, 2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:31 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,952 Posts
What the hell have they done to the forum again? The images have lost their view counter... I needed that to build my ego!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:12 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
I see it once I click on the images themselves. But what I really hate is that if you go to the thread gallery, it has like 10 images per page, instead of 250! Ugh!!!
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:13 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Hey, since you paid so much attention to getting the guns "straight" did you remember to point them in a little to converge the fire at the scale distance?
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:31 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,539 Posts
Hey Gree,

Been away from the build for a bit. Man you do nice work. You sure you want to fly this thing? Some of the nicest detailing/finishing I have seen on the forums. You have to be chuffed to see it coming together at last.

Regards,

Jeff (#2 or #3, I forget which)
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:01 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,839 Posts
Wow, absolutely museum quality work man.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:59 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Hi Gree,

Just dropping in from RC scale builder. It's great to see that you're almost done. Looks awesome! I still have a looonnngg way to go to catch up.

I have a question for you on your servo hatches. I just did mine with fiberglass similar to what you did. However, since the thickness of the hatch is less than 1/16 inch it ends up resting such that it isn't even with the surface of the wing. On top of that, once I glass the wing it will be even more of a difference. What did you do to deal with that?

Thanks!

Steve
Airforce9 is offline Find More Posts by Airforce9
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:47 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Thanks very much guys, it's really nice to hear your comments. Keeps the creative juices flowing... Glad to know you're all still out there after so long!

Guns, Guns, Guns, Guns
I found the aluminium tubing I bought for the gun flash tubes a long time ago, and set about measuring up the length of each tube from my trusty 2 view. I used a metal cutting drop saw to cut up the tube to ensure I got square ends. A lot of filling and sanding later (the saw only seemed to melt the aluminium when it cut it leaving massive burs!) and I had 8 flash tubes read y to install. If I had the motivation, or if this was a larger scale model, I would also put smaller tubes inside to simulate the actual guns, but I am in the 'get it done frame of mind' right now.

The jig I made up and used to drill the mounting holes for the guns paid off, as they went in pretty straight. Only a little tweaking was required. As much as it will make transporting the wing a pain in the butt, I roughened up the ends of the tubes with sandpaper, then epoxied them into the holes. They are there for good now, I will just have to be very careful when moving the model.

After all of this I got out the airbrush again and weathered the tubes with Tamiya Smoke, making sure to make the stains heaviest at the ends of the tubes, and then fading it back along the length. I thought that since the guns get progressively closer to the leading edge of the wing, I would reflect this by making the outmost cordite stains a lot darker, and then making them lighter as the guns get longer. I think this would be accurate. Using my imagination here!

One less job to do...
Nice .50 cals
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer