HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:19 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Canopy On

No Way Out for the Dodgey Little Pilot Now!
I glued the canopy retraction thingy on this morning, and then proceeded to glue on the canopy itself using canopy glue (which looks and smells suspiciously like white wood glue!).

Prop Hub Woes...
I ordered the parts I need to attach my prop hub from Truturn a couple of days ago. And of course when I tried to take off the adapter I currently have in place, I find that it is securely fused to the motor shaft, and I can't budge it! Must have been the thread lock I put into the grub screw holes. To make matters worse the shaft has started to spin in the motor because of how hard I was trying to get the damn adapter off... Some tightening of screws will fix that, but man what a pain. I may have to resort to cutting the damn thing to pieces to get it off!
Gree is online now Find More Posts by Gree
Last edited by Gree; Feb 03, 2013 at 06:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:34 AM
Prunner
Auburn, KS
Joined Oct 2008
829 Posts
You need a fag lighter for your adapter Gree.
prunner is offline Find More Posts by prunner
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:13 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Excellent work Gree.. something those hands have'nt seen... is that nail varnish?
Jeff,
(actualy Gree, there is only one of us, but it allows me to add some comments here and there that are'nt sarcastic)

It's at this stage when you find a large thumb print on the inside of the canopy!!
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:50 AM
Joined May 2011
257 Posts
Top notch work Gree...it looks super!
LuftM40 is offline Find More Posts by LuftM40
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:11 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
Fantastic Gree!

You must be getting pretty anxious by now to fly it?
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:58 AM
Joined Feb 2010
389 Posts
Just put a soldering iron on the adaptor that has the thread lock on it. With a little heat it will come right off.
jeff
Jeff Van Hofwegen is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Van Hofwegen
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:53 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,868 Posts
The pilot looks great in there. Must be scary to glue the cockpit shut though, I'd be afraid something would come loose inside or I'd realize I'd forgotten something right after it was on . Oh and the thingamagig looks perfect.
seeingeyegod is online now Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:19 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,712 Posts
Wow.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:33 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments. Good to know you're all out there.

I tried a large soldering iron Jeff. No joy. I'll try a flame and see what happens. Jeff (Glasser) good to have you and your multiple personalities back on board!
Last edited by Gree; Feb 03, 2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:35 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
Fantastic Gree!

Do you mean anxious TO fly it, or anxious ABOUT flying it!?
Last edited by Gree; Feb 03, 2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:39 AM
United Kingdom, England, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2011
121 Posts
If the shaft comes out of the motor body I would either use a blow torch or bung it in the oven at 300 for 15mins with the shaft upright and thread down. The ali should expand quicker than the steel and fall off. Just thinking of when I put my Z1000 cylinder head in the oven to cure after spraying it :0/

--
Mark
Mark Derbyshire is offline Find More Posts by Mark Derbyshire
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:58 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Not Much Done...

I am Smarter Than Threadlock
I am very pleased to be able to report this. My short battle with the jammed collet/adapter on my motor shaft is over. After trying soldering irons, flame and all kinds of swearing, I suddenly thought back to using a steering wheel puller in my car days. For those who don't know it is a device you hooked up to a steering wheel on a car in order to remove it. Basically it worked by tightening a bolt thus pulling off the very tight wheel from the shaft (which is otherwise impossible believe me!).

Luckily, my shelving is built from square steel tubing. By lucky coincidence, the motor could rest on the back of the tube, while the thread of the adapter stuck out the front from a hole. I simply held the motor in place, and wound the nut on. It pulled the adapter off very nicely. It was definitely thread lock that was the problem - it was all over the inside of the collet. Lesson learned there!

Cowl is On
But I fear I will have to take it off again, because I need to shim the motor mount to point the shaft down a smidge. Bugger. The standard way of mounting the cowl is terrible, and it is a real pain to take on and off! I should have built my own mounting system, but as I keep saying, "practice plane!".

After I put the cowl on, I just couldn't help it. I put the wing on and hooked up all of the servos, pumped up the air tank and cycled the gear a few times. The tail wheel doors work perfectly, and it was very satisfying to see the plane in one piece again after so long. After that I sat it on the ground and took some photos, many of which I have posted below to bore you all to death .

I didn't have the battery hatch on because I was making it easy to remove by poking a small hole through the top, and lining the inside with thin aluminium. Basically you take an allen key and poke it through the hole and pull the hatch off. Very simple, but it works, and once I paint the inside of the hole you won't really notice it being there...

All of this preventing any major progress from happening, but it was nice to see the plane in this state
Last edited by Gree; Feb 03, 2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:50 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
I'll throw this up for giggles. A VERY bad video I took with my phone of the retracts. The shadows are terrible but you can get the idea of the finished tailwheel doors working...

P47 quick retract test (0 min 42 sec)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:14 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings
Fantastic Gree!

ĦĦĦĦĦ Absolutly awesome ... Gree ĦĦĦĦĦ . Keep closing seeing your new uploads and waiting with expectation your maiden. Rest assured cause this ship flies beautifully, and may carry with spare all that extra scale detailing load that you made and we like a lot. The low speed performance when flaps are deployed are incredible for her weigh...ĦĦĦ. so with a little front wind landings at full flaps are a breeze.
Best regards.
Manolo.
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Feb 03, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:16 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
LOL. I am sure it will surprise you how good of a flyer it is. I have not had the opportunity to fly a TF P-47, (mine is still in the box it come in....) but have heard from a few guys in my club that they are pussy cats!!! Have flown a number of TF planes including a Corsair, and they all flew really well!

Cheers and keep those pics coming.

Marko
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings