SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:32 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Crazy weekend, so not much done on the plane. Ailerons have the trim tab actuators built and they have had their final coat of paint... Slowly slowly
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Last edited by Gree; Jan 30, 2013 at 06:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:36 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Ok, problem...

Does anyone know of long servo arms that will fit spektrum/JR with the same offset as the original?

The photo below show the original arms poking up from the wing. Not enough length to get my control rods on there and have full movement. I bought longer ones from hobbyking but discovered they sit higher off the servo so don't fit my servo hatch!!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:57 AM
United Kingdom, England, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2011
120 Posts
These are probably what you need.

http://www.macgregor.co.uk/jrpropo/jrc46015.htm

There should be a supplier in Oz

Or here - they will ship from the UK

http://www.quickuk.eu/cat/general_pa...___wheels.html

--
Mark
Mark Derbyshire is offline Find More Posts by Mark Derbyshire
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:33 PM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Hi Gree, been away from the thread for a bit, but I'll study the bits I've missed before posting my usual clever and witty comments. Looks crap so far from what I've seen though...

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:30 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Yeah I was wondering where you were! Hope everything is ok.

Mark thanks very much for the links. I'll check them out later today
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:26 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Ailerons and Flaps Permanently Attached

Servo Arms Sorted
Well I took a trip to a (gasp!) local hobby store this afternoon after work and picked up some longer Dubro servo arms to fix the aileron servo issue. If I didn't know before I certainly know now why I shop online at HobbyKing! $12 for a part that would cost $2 online. Ah well that's impatience for you... :roll eyes:

Ailerons and Flaps
I installed the flaps a few days ago, but after getting the servo arms, decided to get the ailerons done as well. Some oil on the hinge pins to stop the 30 minute epoxy binding them up, and they slid into position quite well. Once I was sure that there was no stray epoxy on anything, I clamped the ailerons to the flaps to keep everything level while the glue set.

I fitted the new servo arms (ah just right! Goldilocks would be proud), and bent up some control rods and attached the servos to the ailerons while they were clamped level. This made things very easy, and I recommend it to reduce the fiddly factor.

The ailerons and flaps move very freely with no binding at all, so I am very happy. Just for the hell of it, I videoed the control surfaces in motion.

Flaps and Ailerons - watch in HD, make my hours of riveting and painting worthwhile!
P47 Ailerons and Flaps (0 min 0 sec)

Oh yeah, and I weathered the panel lines with the airbrush last night when I had a spare 20 minutes... One more step closer!
Last edited by Gree; Jan 30, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:11 PM
Crash test dummy....
United States, TN, Waynesboro
Joined Mar 2012
110 Posts
Absolutely amazing work Gree!!! Can't wait to see this beast in the air!!
mattthomas78 is offline Find More Posts by mattthomas78
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:33 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,839 Posts
That's one nice looking wing you've got there.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:30 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Thanks guys. I am getting closer but still a lot of fiddly things to do before I can call it finished!

As odd as it is, I am already deciding what project to start next to keep me occupied for another 5 years!

It definitely has to be German, and I have narrowed it down to either:

- 1/7th Top Flite Fw190D9
I have the kit with Century Jet retracts, plus aftermarket fibreglass cowl and gun hood. I could run this on the same motor and battery combo as the '47, so I would be saving $ on batteries.

- 1/5th Holman Fw190D9
I have the glass fuse kit, wooden wing kit, aluminium spinner, Sierra retracts including tail wheel. I guess I could run this one on 12S (pairing up the 6S batteries from the '47). I would also run a sound system.

- Or perhaps my 60" Do335?
This is just a short kit, so I would have to buy sheeting, spinners, motors, retracts etc. But it is a hell of a cool plane!

Or perhaps I should concentrate on one thing at a time!?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:37 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
I've been eyeing that TF 190D9 kit for a while now. I'd love to see it done up to your standards!
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:35 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
You know where to get one? They are pretty rare now...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:52 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Not really. I've seen them used here and there for about $250, which is too much for me right now.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:01 AM
Joined Feb 2010
387 Posts
fantastic work!!! Could you please tell me where you got that 4 bladed prop? I have looked all over for one of those for my P-47 with no luck.
best wishes,
jeff
Jeff Van Hofwegen is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Van Hofwegen
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:48 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Working on the Canopy Retraction Mechanism

Thanks Jeff (wow that's 3 Jeffs so far!).

I bought the prop from Tower Hobbies some time ago. It is an APC 15.5x12x4. Here is the link http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX1642

Chugging Away
Today I tackled one of the jobs I was dreading - making the rest of the canopy retraction mechanism. Namely, the bar that connects to either side of the inner canopy and sits on the little track I made behind the pilot armour. Of course this is non-functional on this plane.

I eyeballed and measured, and came up with what you see below. There is a balsa core, and the rest is made from styrene sheet. It is not complete of course, but this is as detailed as I am going to go with this... Enough to give you the idea. So none of the rods etc that are connected to this system as you'll see in the example photo of the real thing. Funny, I am getting lazier the closer this thing gets to completion!

The top needs sanding smooth, and then the various bolts and rivets need to be simulated to some degree. Then it will be painted and installed, and the canopy finally and permanently glued in place.

EDIT - Added a couple more photos of the completed part...
Last edited by Gree; Feb 01, 2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:04 PM
Joined Feb 2010
387 Posts
Thanks Gree! I just ordered one.
jeff
Jeff Van Hofwegen is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Van Hofwegen
Last edited by Jeff Van Hofwegen; Feb 01, 2013 at 06:11 PM.