HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:14 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno4sure View Post
My question is; is a shorter connecting rod from the servo to the aileron horn which creates a steeper angle (as Chad stated) be better than a longer connecting rod from the servo to the aileron horn which creates less of an angle, be best.
Hard to make a determination there reno without actually seeing the angles involved. I would hazard that it probably will not make a big difference on a model such as the Jug unless the angles are much more dramatic than I'm imagining they would be. Again, my .02 cents and your mileage may vary!
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined May 2011
393 Posts
Thanks Chad.
I am going to mount the servos as I see fit. Then if it binds or the throws are strange or it looks as if there is no strength in the setup I will turn the servos over.
Reno
reno4sure is offline Find More Posts by reno4sure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TF P-47 "Snafu"
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:02 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
I think you're confused here Gree. They need to be mirror images of one another, ie, both output shafts facing inboard or both facing outboard.
No, I just didn't explain it clearly.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:32 PM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2009
144 Posts
whats your finished weight going to be Gree do you know.
amxen is offline Find More Posts by amxen
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:57 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,906 Posts
No freakin idea!

I'm not too concerned. I've flown a lot of heavy planes but truly, I don't think it will be overly heavy. We'll know when it is done!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Nov 2009
144 Posts
only asking as this is the heaviest plane iv ever had and im electrifying it. I just wonna make sure the electrics (motor) i put in it are up to the job of pulling it into the sky
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Nov 2009
144 Posts
Gree how are you finding the ESC you have for this.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:06 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,906 Posts
I'm Baaaaack!

A Few Little Details...
Well, I am back from overseas, and today I got to spend some time in the garage. I decided to glass my ailerons and flaps, only to discover an unopened bottle of great planes finishing resin had gone rock solid! Now I have to wait to get more resin.

So I decided to find my custom made oil cooler doors and paint them up. I also made exhaust pipes from some garden hose I had lying around. I know this is not the right exhaust outlet for this particular variant, but the M model had a straight pipe dump, and this was way easier top replicate than the tricky dohicky this version actually has! So a little historical inaccuracy for the sake of expediency...

Tomorrow I'll hook up my tail control surfaces, and see if I can get a hold of some resin!

Oh and by the way Axman, I am not really sure what to tell you about my motor or speed control as I have not tried them yet. However my speed control is a 100amp one from Hobbyking.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:16 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
....ĦĦĦĦ Awesome...ĦĦĦĦ
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:14 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,175 Posts
Just went through all of the pics on this thread. Gorgeous! You're absolutely crazy!
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:46 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,906 Posts
Tail Wheel Doors and Tail Control Surfaces Finished

Thanks guys! Yes I am insane I think... :roll eyes:

Tail Wheel Doors Completed
Today I decided to start finalising things on the fuse. First up was finding the tail wheel doors from years ago and riveting and painting and detailing them. Then I installed them back onto the fuse and connected them to the retract. It all still works like I designed it to which is gratifying.

Tail Control Surfaces Permanently Attached
Then since I couldn't see any reason not to, I decided to epoxy the elevators and rudder to the fuse, and connect and adjust the control rods. I used a drop of oil on the centre of the Robart hinge pins to stop any epoxy from getting in the joint - great trick that one, works like a charm.

After tweaking the tailwheel pull-pull cable so that the wheel aligned with the rudder, it was time for a test or two! It was very exciting to actually see the completed tail working under its own steam... I filmed this with my phone in case you're interested.

Rudder and Tailwheel
P47 rudder & tailwheel (0 min 39 sec)

Rudder and Elevator Bottom View
P47 rudder & elevator bottom view (0 min 41 sec)

Rudder and Elevator Top View
P47 rudder & elevator top view (0 min 22 sec)

Getting ever closer. I have 3 more days full time on this before I start work again. Hope it is enough... I am really hoping that my resin gets here tomorrow so I can finish my wing control surfaces and mount them. Otherwise I will build the wing tip navigation lights, and work on something I have been dreading for a long time, the construction of the inside of the gear doors that mount to the retract...
Last edited by Gree; Jan 08, 2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:29 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,906 Posts
Wiring Done

Electrics Complete
Well, on a whim today I decided to do none of the things I mentioned in my last post. :roll eyes:

Instead for some reason I got a bee in my bonnet about getting all of the wiring done so the plane is fully functional. I attached the motor mount, and proceeded to wire everything up, which took some time due to the confines of the inner fuselage!

Long story short though, everything works. So we will see what tomorrow brings. I know for a fact that it won't be done before work starts again next week, but hey, after 5 years, I don't let my slow progress worry me anymore!

A Little reminder of the gear I have in this thing:

Turnigy SK5065 380 kv Motor
Turnigy 100 amp speed control
Turnigy 7.5 amp external BEC
Last edited by Gree; Jan 09, 2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:02 AM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,180 Posts
Grew, do you mind recommending some of the books you may have use to detail your model?
jk6672 is offline Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:32 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
Grew, do you mind recommending some of the books you may have use to detail your model?
I have attached pictures of the books I have used below for your reference, but most of the really useful stuff came from searching the internet. I collected a lot of reference material that way....

As an aside, does anyone else know that pure rage that comes from not being able to find something that you only used a couple of days before?!

For the life of me I cannot find my tube of brown automotive filler! I just need to fill a few imperfections in the flaps and ailerons prior to doing the panel lines, rivets and final paint - and the bloody tube has completely disappeared! This is driving me absolutely MENTAL!!!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:43 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,906 Posts
My brain is back in my good books again. I sat down, calmed down and thought carefully about what I was doing when I last saw the tube of putty. I was painting the exhaust stack which involved a lot of paint tubes on the bench. Sure enough, I had put the putty away with the tubes of paint. Aneurism averted....

Sheesh!