2,941 Posts
Yeah I know, I was just funnin' with him
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:54 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Got most of the canopy masked off tonight. I plan on painting both the inside (OD) and outside of the frame (metal). Bet I regret that half way through!
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:44 PM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
[QUOTE=Gree;23408088]Markings Done and Dusted
Extending the Spacing Between Individual Markings

(I must have made an error when drawing up the kill markings in Illustrator. They were not nearly long enough - meaning they were not spaced out enough so that they would start and end in the right place on the fuse. If you look at the first photo below of the real plane, you'll see that the first marking is forward of the panel line of the long vertical panel behind the engine, and the last marking ends at the edge of the 'F'. Mine were 55mm short! So I measured everything up, and extended the gap between each marking by 4mm. This gave me roughly the extra length I required while at the same time not making the markings too spaced out. The first marking is is still not far enough forward but a good enough compromise. Things like this show you that everything is not perfectly scale, and there are a lot of variables with panel lines etc that all add up in the end.)

I did'nt like to say anything

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:19 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Bastard!

I won't say anything about your bad punctuation either... :P
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:38 PM
Prunner
Auburn, KS
Joined Oct 2008
829 Posts
Jugs

Just love the Gree and Jeff show---
prunner is offline Find More Posts by prunner
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:08 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Ah Jeff knows its all in jest of course!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:06 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Canopy Painted

One More Tiny Step Forward
I finished masking the inside and outside of the canopy today, rubbed the exposed areas back with 600 grit paper, and gave the inside and outside a coat of primer. After this I sprayed some OD inside the canopy using the airbrush.

Following this, I riveted the outside of the canopy, then sanded the burrs smooth. The aluminium paint got a run next, and then this was rubbed back with steel wool, a light coat of satin clear applied and then this was rubbed back again. This made the finish identical to the rest of the metal on the plane.

Lastly was some weathering with the airbrush and some wash. I actually used an ink pen to draw the join line between the windscreen and the canopy, then rubbed this back with a rag. A solid black line didn't look realistic from a distance, and once you step back a bit, I think the change in shade where the line is looks like there is a physical join there...

Photo Opportunity with the Finished Canopy
Removing the masking was the last task, and then sitting in place on the fuse for some shots. As you can see it is not permanently joined yet, so the canopy is raised from the surface of the fuselage a lot. It does sit flush when held in place.

Oh and of course I just realised I have not yet built the thing that looks like a bow (archery) that is attached to the canopy and slides along the track to open and close it. Bugger... It goes on the list.

How do people stick their canopies on? I have heard of canopy glue but don't really know what it is. Is it like contact adhesive? I was thinking of using contact adhesive because it has some flexibility and would not get brittle. Not sure how vicious the fumes are though and what they might do to the clear canopy from the inside...

Any advice is welcomed...

Well, I won't get much more done on this build for the next month, as I am going on holidays very soon! Glad about that but also sad to lose momentum again...
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Apr 2012
27 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCX70&P=ML. This works very well.

Cheers,
1ruffdog is offline Find More Posts by 1ruffdog
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:32 PM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ruffdog View Post
That's the stuff I use. Works really well. Takes a while to dry, but once it has stuck, it's stuck!
aerophilia is offline Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:49 PM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
When I looked at the first shots of the masked canopy I thought you'd used chrome tape..then realised I was seeing the paper behind! I mention this just to show that even I'm not as sharp as I'd like you to believe!
Oh, and as for my skills (or lack of them) with the Queens English, I'm a painter not a writer. (sound of rude farting noise being made!)
I might be wrong (surely not I hear you say!!) but I think more definition with the canopy to windscreen join would perhaps be better.. thinking of the rubber seal that would have been between the two.
Not that it matters as it's not like the finished model will look good is it.

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:00 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation on the glue guys. Greatly appreciated. I'll order some when I get back from overseas.

Jeff, you may be right about the canopy join needing more definition. I'll get the plane outside at some point to look at it is the day light and reassess (but cut me some slack - I'm a lecturer not a painter! That's what I need your advice for!)
Last edited by Gree; Dec 08, 2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Aug 2008
483 Posts
Gree, what can I say that is just beyond superlative work! It staggers my mind that this is your first effort at this!
By chance do you have an artistic ability in other medium? Just trying to console myself with what i do compared to your work!

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:04 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer View Post
By chance do you have an artistic ability in other medium?
Thanks Rossaer. I'm a designer by training, but now an educator, although I still do a bit of designing here and there.

But it isn't anything special. I think anyone can do something they are proud of if they have enough patience to take their time. I have a lot of patience (for some things anyway!)...
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:38 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Repairing the Aluminium Paint on the Wing
I should have been packing for my holiday... Instead, I thought I'd finish the stars and bars on the wings. However, for those of you with a good memory, you might remember me screwing up the aluminium paint on the wing when I did my first mask. The paint was too soft.

Well, I had to fix this. It involved rubbing the aluminium paint right off using solvent and then decanting the aluminium paint into the airbrush, spraying and then buffing back and clear coating. The paint sprayed beautifully from the airbrush which helped. The repair is not perfect, but it will look OK when the weathering goes on. I doubt anyone would notice.

Stars and Bars
The painting of the stars and bars went quite well, and you've all seen that before so I won't go into detail. Some of the old white paint (that I screwed the thinning mix up on when I first tried the airbrush) pulled off with the tape, but I don't mind, as it looks like natural paint flaking.

Wing Underside Navigation Lights
Before I could paint the blue on the underside insignia, I had to make styrene frames for the navigation lights that run under the wing. This is because the frames had to be painted blue in strategic places to match the insignia, so I thought I had better pop them in when I did the painting.

When I made the skin I recessed a circular shape about 2mm into the skin for these lights. The idea was to make little frames and lenses later. I cut the circular frames out of styrene, and made the lenses with clear plastic like you find on packaging, sanded and painted the different colours underneath. These were epoxied into place and work well enough for me. They have a little bit of depth to them and the light reflects of the plastic nicely when the wing is at the right angle.

#$&%*^#*!!
I thought I'd move the wing into better light to get a photo. I picked it up with one had because I was too lazy to put my phone down. As I was moving it I thought "I had better not damage the wing being stupid and carrying it like this", just as I heard a loud 'crack'! I wasn't looking at one end of the wing and slammed it into the pipes on the ceiling of my garage, damaging the corner. It is slightly buckled and the paint and filler came off down to the fibreglass.

I thought that was a good time to stop and go pack...

Happy Holidays Everyone!
This really is the last update for about a month. I'll see you all again in early January. For all the regular followers and contributors to this thread I want to say thank you for your support and input, and have a merry Christmas and a damn good new year!
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined Sep 2009
40 Posts
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as well Gree!
ihaveahellcat is offline Find More Posts by ihaveahellcat