Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:00 PM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2009
147 Posts
ok im going to ask a really dumb question. this will be my first time with retracts.
my questing is. with the retract now being at an angle when retracted. how do they turn straight when down. surely if the wheel dose not turn to the front when coming down it will face to the side alittle and not track true.

yes i know its a dumb question and i feel silly not knowing the answer but i dont know anything about retracts.
amxen is offline Find More Posts by amxen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:13 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
The geometry works itself out really. The mounting plate is at a weird angle to allow the wheel to be straight when it is fully extended in the landing position. Normally you'd have to play around a lot to get this right, but the templates that John gave me and that I have posted on this thread are an excellent starting point. I had to tweak this a little but not by much.

That's as good an explanation as I can do, but I am sure someone will chime in with something more techy and scientific!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:31 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amxen View Post
ok im going to ask a really dumb question. this will be my first time with retracts.
my questing is. with the retract now being at an angle when retracted. how do they turn straight when down. surely if the wheel dose not turn to the front when coming down it will face to the side alittle and not track true.

yes i know its a dumb question and i feel silly not knowing the answer but i dont know anything about retracts.
Amexen; when the main gear are down you would set the tire. when it retracts on an angle the wheel will be slightly tuned in the wing. This isn't a problem provided the wing thickness is enough. We have this on a plane my buddy Zeke and I designed. The strut and tire actually retract at an angle forward at roughly 20 degrees from the straight line. This isn't an issue because it retracts towards the thickest part of the wing and tucks itself in quite nicely. Basically you do not need to worry what it is doing inside the wing your concern is when it is down and locked,
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapMike View Post
Amexen; when the main gear are down you would set the tire. when it retracts on an angle the wheel will be slightly tuned in the wing. This isn't a problem provided the wing thickness is enough. We have this on a plane my buddy Zeke and I designed. The strut and tire actually retract at an angle forward at roughly 20 degrees from the straight line. This isn't an issue because it retracts towards the thickest part of the wing and tucks itself in quite nicely. Basically you do not need to worry what it is doing inside the wing your concern is when it is down and locked,

ok thank you very much i understand now 100%. i had thought thats how you could get away with it but i tried watching the video of it running and the photos but could not see it turned when retracted
amxen is offline Find More Posts by amxen
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Gree, with reference to your earlier post....'ashamed of you' for one or two teeny co*k ups! never! I had to learn everything I did by myself and a lot was one step forward and two back type of learning. the idea is not to tell anyone then they think you're incredible...just like your opinion of me!!!!

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,303 Posts
Gree, what degree retracts are you using, 85 or 90? Just curious. I have some 90's and by the looks of this picture I should stick with them instead of exhange for 85's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/albionp...n/photostream/
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672
Last edited by jk6672; Nov 24, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
I used 90 degree units to compensate for the incidence of the wing. In the very first post I added a list of retract parts.

And Jeff you are truly the great one! :P
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
wow what a work of art.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:46 AM
United Kingdom, England, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2011
106 Posts
Apologies for hijacking the thread but I have just started a sliding canopy build modification thread for those that are interested

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post23376684

Gree hope you don't mind me posting

--
Mark
Mark Derbyshire is offline Find More Posts by Mark Derbyshire
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:44 PM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,051 Posts
Are you back yet? Surely it's been a week. I need an update
aerophilia is offline Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Ha! No I'm on a beanbag believe it or not in the airport in New Zealand waiting for my return flight!

Thanks very much for the link to the sliding canopy conversion Mark. I'll check it out when I get home.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:09 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Kill Markings Applied

Markings Done and Dusted
Well after an intense week overseas for work, I am back and this morning I have completed the 14 kill markings on the left side of the fuse. By no means perfect but good enough!

Callie's masks are good for the price but they are not great. On the positive side:
- They are cheap
- The adhesive is very low tack

On the negative side:
- There are no registration marks
- the cutting is not very precise. The circle cut lines were misaligned leaving a weird edge.

Would I use Callie again? Yes, but not for small masks, or those multi-coloured masks that require aligning like national insignias etc. Still, she got me out of a jam and I think they are good enough, even though the swastikas are a little wobbly (they have that 'painted by a crewman' look - at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).

Extending the Spacing Between Individual Markings
I must have made an error when drawing up the kill markings in Illustrator. They were not nearly long enough - meaning they were not spaced out enough so that they would start and end in the right place on the fuse. If you look at the first photo below of the real plane, you'll see that the first marking is forward of the panel line of the long vertical panel behind the engine, and the last marking ends at the edge of the 'F'. Mine were 55mm short! So I measured everything up, and extended the gap between each marking by 4mm. This gave me roughly the extra length I required while at the same time not making the markings too spaced out. The first marking is is still not far enough forward but a good enough compromise. Things like this show you that everything is not perfectly scale, and there are a lot of variables with panel lines etc that all add up in the end.

This was a labour intensive process, requiring a lot of measuring and precise placement of the masks. It turned out that I didn't centre the swastikas exactly in the circles, but pretty close once I got better at applying them. The first one is pretty wonky though! I detailed my process in the photos...

Weathering
I ended up doing the weathering this morning too. I left the last 4 untouched since Dahlburg scored his final 4 victories in one mission, and I thought this model could represent a time not long after this had occurred. So I weathered the earlier markings progressively more as they neared the front of the plane.

Overall I am relatively happy with the effect - especially given that I cut up the masks and aligned each one by hand!

Next will be painting and attaching the oil cooler doors and exhaust (if I can find something the right diameter for the exhaust pipe!).
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:44 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
I'll never be anal enough to make anything this nice
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:03 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Thanks for the "compliment"!
Last edited by Gree; Dec 02, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:29 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Gree it really is a compliment. He means that your attention to detail is something he could not do. Some people are known as anal retentive to the point of perfection in what they do. In this case we know you aren't anal but that you are striving for perfection with the plane
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike