HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:18 PM
Prunner
Auburn, KS
Joined Oct 2008
829 Posts
Hey Gree you may look at Petes Pilots again. I've got a good bust from him, but need the rest. I've got the same Jap pilot bust as you've shown and he looks great in my scratch built Ruffy and Zero. Your P-47 looks perfect!
prunner is offline Find More Posts by prunner
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:27 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Hold the phone! How about this for a pilot!!

http://bestpilots.typepad.com/my_web...-like-you.html

Actually I should be replicating Dahlburg I guess....
If you just need a bust check out this guys work.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=731
Might be worth seeing if he can hook you up.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:14 AM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,037 Posts
Quote:
Hold the phone! How about this for a pilot!!

http://bestpilots.typepad.com/my_web...-like-you.html

Actually I should be replicating Dahlburg I guess....
Now that's the most realistic looking model pilots face I've ever seen. Gree, it would do justice to your incredible build, and why not put your own face on it if you can't find suitable photos of Dahlburg. You would have to look very closely to notice who the pilot is.
Chris F is offline Find More Posts by Chris F
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
977 Posts
Awesome work ...ĦĦĦĦ
Just in case if may help, I used the bust of Ace of Iron and some parts of a old Top Flite 1/7 vinil full body scale pilots...
http://www.acro3d.com/public/phpbb3/...8920&start=300
Manolo.
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Nov 16, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:27 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I thinks may end up going with Manolo's suggestion of marrying the aces of iron bust with what I have now... It is what I was thinking of and yours looks pretty good.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:23 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Did some weathering on the fuse tonight with the airbrush. He some major moisture issues from the compressor, and I am not sure what to do about it...

Will post some photos tomorrow. Good thing is if it is overdone, I can rub it back a bit with the steel wool.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:06 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Well that's buggared the build then Gree...
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:42 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Some Weathering Done

Fuselage is Dirtied Up
Of course I should have put the stencils on before I weathered. Of course I should, and of course I know that, but again I let my enthusiasm take control when I headed down the the garage for some midnight airbrushing (after watching a couple of how to videos on YouTube that got me all inspired).

I'll do the stencils next and then whose to know eh?

I mixed up a lot of thinner, some flat mud, flat black and flat white - and have called this mix 'dirt'. I have plenty left over for the wing which is good. I wound the needle right in on the brush and followed the panel lines freehand with the brush about 5cm from the surface, just putting on minute amounts of paint. Even so with the silver the dirt shows up fast. I worked the front panels a lot more as they would have been removed and put back on a lot during services, and of course the oily engine is behind them.

After about 40 minutes or so the airbrush started spitting a lot of water onto the surface. The moisture trap on the compressor was pretty wet inside, and I didn't really know anything about this stuff to know what to do about it at the time. I'll have to do some research on this.

Not too Bad for a First Try?
Overall though, I have to say I am pretty happy with the result - used but not crazily so... I would like some opinions about whether it is overdone or not (feel free to pipe in here Jeff). A quick rub with steel wool and it comes off again.

So apart from stencilling, the pilot and the canopy, the fuse is done, and I can begin to permanently attach the control surfaces, and mount the speed control and motor etc...
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:45 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,731 Posts
Looks great Gree. Do you want to do Mine for me?
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:15 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Aww man I just realised I haven't put the kill markings on yet either... That is going to look crap! Will have to re-weather over the top when the masks get here.

And thanks CapMike, but no thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:00 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
I was too lazy to take the plane back down to the garage today, and noticed in the twilight the finish on the plane looked like metal again. That's nice it know I didn't completely spoil the metal appearance of the plane. Nice little boost for the day.

I grabbed a quick shot through the window.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:10 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
O.K. Gree, I know when I'm beat! it looks terrific mate so don't change anything. the weathering is just right.. and the 'kill' markings could have been applied anytime so don't worry about them looking a bit fresh, though you could just paint the first ones lightly to show ageing, but don't do it if it makes you nervous.
Have you not got an oil/water seperator on your compressor, if not I'd get one soon.

With reference to the invasion stripes, I've seen photos' of them being applied the night before in the damp with a whitewash brush and no masking tape, but I know that if you did'nt get them as acurate as possible there would be some rivet counter who would comment how badly you had done them! (behind your back of course)

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Last edited by Jeff Glasser; Nov 18, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Sep 2009
40 Posts
I agree with Jeff your weathering is perfect.
ihaveahellcat is offline Find More Posts by ihaveahellcat
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:46 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Fuselage is Dirtied Up
Of course I should have put the stencils on before I weathered. Of course I should, and of course I know that, but again I let my enthusiasm take control when I headed down the the garage for some midnight airbrushing (after watching a couple of how to videos on YouTube that got me all inspired).

I'll do the stencils next and then whose to know eh?

I mixed up a lot of thinner, some flat mud, flat black and flat white - and have called this mix 'dirt'. I have plenty left over for the wing which is good. I wound the needle right in on the brush and followed the panel lines freehand with the brush about 5cm from the surface, just putting on minute amounts of paint. Even so with the silver the dirt shows up fast. I worked the front panels a lot more as they would have been removed and put back on a lot during services, and of course the oily engine is behind them.

After about 40 minutes or so the airbrush started spitting a lot of water onto the surface. The moisture trap on the compressor was pretty wet inside, and I didn't really know anything about this stuff to know what to do about it at the time. I'll have to do some research on this.

Not too Bad for a First Try?
Overall though, I have to say I am pretty happy with the result - used but not crazily so... I would like some opinions about whether it is overdone or not (feel free to pipe in here Jeff). A quick rub with steel wool and it comes off again.

So apart from stencilling, the pilot and the canopy, the fuse is done, and I can begin to permanently attach the control surfaces, and mount the speed control and motor etc...
Now that's what I'm talking about, she looks awesome, don't change a thing.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:29 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,757 Posts
Looks real nice Gree. I know from working on C-130s for 21 years that grease streaks would be found where the control surface hinges are. I hope you don't mind me copying a lot of what you have done. I will give credit. I actually have finished fiberglassing my fuse. I need to post an update on mine soon.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy