HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:51 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,455 Posts
Underside of the wing yes. Topside ? No. Doesn't mean they weren't there thou. So don't let it spoil your fun.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined May 2011
257 Posts
Looking good Gree! Not sure I can catch you at this point because my timeline has been delayed, but I will give it a shot!
LuftM40 is offline Find More Posts by LuftM40
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:49 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
A little more done

I managed to snatch an hour after work to mask up and spray the registration numbers on the tail and the identification letters on the fuse - both sides. Same process as the other masks, so not much to explain. Just some pictures to show that there has been some movement.

Thinking about the wing invasion stripes more over the course of the day, I think I'll leave well enough alone and forget about them.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:41 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,795 Posts
Gree, does Callie do masks too, or only stickers?
It really is looking good. FWIW, I could not see any invasion stripes on top of the wings, and MAYBE some on the bottom.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
803 Posts
Man that is coming together real nice Gree!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes Callie does masks, at least that is what she has told me. I don't think she does it often though. I will see how it goes. I am actually thinking of getting her to make masks of all of the stencils if the vinyl can be cut that fine. Much rather paint them on than rub them on, especially since they are difficult to apply onto my aluminium paint.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:31 PM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,052 Posts
Wow, I can't wait to see it with the wings on! Those detail pics look great. Looks like there's still plenty of detail in the rivets?
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:47 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,795 Posts
I wouldn't want stickers to mask those great details either.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:56 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Cockpit

The Office is Installed
Today I decided, for some unknown reason, to install the cockpit (which you may recall I finished detailing some time ago - if you have been following the thread that long!). It doesn't make complete sense to install this now, as I should finish stencilling and weathering first to reduce the chance of damage while handling. But sometimes we do stupid things...

Sat the pilot in there to see what he looked like. He looks so gay! (just an expression people). I am not sure I can bring myself to put him in this thing. I'll mull it over.

As always click on the popup to see the image full size.
Last edited by Gree; Nov 15, 2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:10 AM
Crash test dummy....
United States, TN, Waynesboro
Joined Mar 2012
110 Posts
The pilot does look like he's out of place.... But other than that I love what's been done thus far!!! A pure MASTERPIECE!!!
mattthomas78 is offline Find More Posts by mattthomas78
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:41 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,276 Posts
The cockpit detail work is awesome! I think you're right about the pilot though. It's not that bad, he just looks REALLY pail. Maybe he would look better with a bit of a tan. I would think these guys had a bit of a tan sitting in a glass bubble all day. One of the mags I have laying around has an article on painting pilot figures. It's been a while since I have read it, but I think he painted the flesh tone then added more color with pastels. Slowly adding till he was happy with the shade. Sort of a weathering for the face.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2011
106 Posts
I used Humbrol #61 Flesh Matt for the pilot in my Mustang. Just the right colour painted directly onto the biege coloured mould.

The flash has taken a small amount of colour from his cheeks but not much

One Q Gree. Is that a full body pilot you are using as a 1/8th (9 - 10") pilot looks like it will be to long in the legs to fit to the pedals right?

--
Mark
Mark Derbyshire is offline Find More Posts by Mark Derbyshire
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:47 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Thanks guys. The pilot lacks a lot of detail, and is made from a really soft squishy plastic. This makes painting it really hard. Compare it to this pilot I have painted which is resin and contains a good amount of detail...

Click this link to see several pictures of him http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...71&postcount=9

Mark, yes it is a full bodied pilot, and he fits fine in the cockpit. I may do what others have done and buy an Aces of Iron pilot bust, and attach it to the crappy arms and legs of this guy. Unless someone knows of a good full bodied pilot figure?

Oh, and V2rider, there's nothing wrong with being pale! (I have Scottish ancestry!)
Last edited by Gree; Nov 15, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:57 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Hold the phone! How about this for a pilot!!

http://bestpilots.typepad.com/my_web...-like-you.html

Actually I should be replicating Dahlburg I guess....
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:11 PM
United Kingdom, England, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2011
106 Posts
I was looking at these pilots on eBay. I pm'd the seller and the clothes etc can be removed and reclothed. Just wasn't sure if they would fit

EBay item 350636620170

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350636620170?redirect=mobile
--
Mark
Mark Derbyshire is offline Find More Posts by Mark Derbyshire
Last edited by Mark Derbyshire; Nov 15, 2012 at 04:18 PM.