SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:53 PM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Derbyshire View Post
The P47 didn't have Fowler Flaps. It used Slotted Trail Edge Flaps

I'm building this kit as a winter project so I am following this thread with interest. I'm putting an Evolution 26GX Gasser in mine and keeping the Razor back which I have to say was a pain in the butt to sheet - but over two nights of wetting/bending and glueing it is done

Gree you have done alot of research on this and saved me a huge amount of time trawling the WWW - Thanks for your efforts

--
Mark
needless to say not a robart hing. im not saying its wrong im just looking for some one thats used the correct design
amxen is offline Find More Posts by amxen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:48 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,940 Posts
Got Some Painting Done

So So Results...
Good news is that the mist coats of satin paint over the aluminium sealed it up properly, so the masks for the stars and bars didn't rip off any paint. I measured everything up and shot the white with my airbrush - much happier with how I handled it this time.

Then I measured and masked up the invasion stripes under the fuse. All was going well with the white, then came time to paint the black stripes. At the last second before putting the paint in the airbrush I realised I had bought gloss black and not flat black! Someone moved things about in the hobby shop.

So because I was impatient, I used the rattle can to spray the black - knowing that I would probably get some bleed under tape but doing it anyway. Well I got some bleed under the tape...

But hey, these things were put on with paint brushes in a hurry back in the day, so it let's say it gives a bit more realism than you usually get with perfectly masked stripes. That's how I am looking at it anyway!

Now I'll wait for the paint to harden up a bit, then do the blue on the insignia. After that the trusty steel wool will dirty things up a bit.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:15 AM
United Kingdom, England, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2011
107 Posts
One tip is to shoot a coat of the under lying colour or clear to seal the mask edges before spraying the next coat. Or if masking over multiple colours use a brush with each colour to seal the edges

--
Mark
Mark Derbyshire is offline Find More Posts by Mark Derbyshire
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:13 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,805 Posts
What kind of clear coat did you use?
Can you go back and remask and respray the white again to get those crisp lines. Mark's tip sounds like a good one.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:24 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,940 Posts
Thanks for the tip Mark. I knew about it already, but was just too lazy. I am actually not that bothered in the end. On closer inspection, the edges don't so much seem to be bleed as paint that was on the tape lifting and tearing a bit. Once I rub it back a bit I actually think it'll be not too bad.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:48 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,940 Posts
Fuse Stars and Bars Done

It Is Starting to Look Like a '47
Didn't feel like sleeping tonight so crept down to the garage and finished off the stars and bars on the fuse. It is a bit fiddly getting the masks to line up perfectly because there is zero room for error, but I managed relatively well. A few little misalignments but a quick touchup with a brush and I think I'll get away with it. Shock of shocks the things are pretty closely aligned from one side to the other too!

I also rubbed back the stripes with some steel wool before I painted the blue just for the hell of it. I think it came out OK. Much grubbier but not too much...

I must say I am beginning to enjoy this airbrushing lark. Should have gotten one a long time ago. Hopefully I'll get to the hobby shop to buy some FLAT black paint tomorrow so I can do the registration numbers and squadron letters (if that's what you call them?). After this comes the pain of the kill markings. I am not sure what to do here as the dullards I ordered the stencils from sent me stickers instead of transfers and refused to fix their mistake. I'll have to make the masks manually I guess. Not looking forward to that!
Last edited by Gree; Nov 10, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:56 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Gree looking really good. As far as the misalignment personally I wouldn't worry about it. On the full scale I don't think they were perfect. Think about how they had to mask them. One side at a time and they couldn't refrence seeing both sides at the same time.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:44 AM
United Kingdom, England, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2011
107 Posts
Re decals. Are you going to spray a coat of clear overall? If so there is a product called waterside decal paper that can be printed on a desktop inkjet.

The translucent paper turns clear once a clear coat is applied. Only down side is pale colours do show through slightly except black print and you can't do white. There is another product available - can't remember the name atm - that uses a laser printer and layers to produce white

--
Mark
Mark Derbyshire is offline Find More Posts by Mark Derbyshire
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,940 Posts
Thanks Mark. I'll think about decals, but I have been thinking about this a bit and think I will try to find another stencil maker to create a new mask. The kill markings are too finicky to try to make by hand, I'll only screw them up I know!

The stickers Get Stencils sent me are so bloody thick. Still don't know what they were thinking! I still don't understand why they thought i would put chunky stickers on this thing anyway when everything else was stencils and paint masks that I ordered from them? :S

Anyone know of anyone who does masks in Australia?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,835 Posts
You can try Callies Graphics. I've never heard of a bad experience. She's not local to you, but I'm sure she can ship what you need.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:21 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,484 Posts
Gree,

You might consider the Testor's brand home decal making kits. As noted by Mark above these come with decal paper that you can put in your printer and print your own artwork. Once printed you simply shoot them with a clear coat and then cut them out and apply them like any other water slide decal. They come with either clear or white decal paper. I wouldn't use them for any larger markings but for kills and stencils and what not they work just fine. I have Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and would be more than happy to make up the artwork for you if needed. Worth considering anyway.
Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:20 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,940 Posts
Thanks Denial and Chad. I have contacted Callie's graphics to see what they say. Although I see on the front page of her website they have Dahlberg's plane listed as Eagleston's, and the artwork for the skull looks quite bad, and the kill markings are incorrect. Oh well I sent my artwork for the kill markings so I'll see what they say.

I would really prefer paint over decals for this job if I can.

As a side note, here is an interesting story about Ken Dahlberg, the pilot of this plane... http://www.mnlegion.org/paper/html/dahlberg.html
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:39 AM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,835 Posts
Neat story.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:57 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
It Is Starting to Look Like a '47
Didn't feel like sleeping tonight so crept down to the garage and finished off the stars and bars on the fuse. It is a bit fiddly getting the masks to line up perfectly because there is zero room for error, but I managed relatively well. A few little misalignments but a quick touchup with a brush and I think I'll get away with it. Shock of shocks the things are pretty closely aligned from one side to the other too!

I also rubbed back the stripes with some steel wool before I painted the blue just for the hell of it. I think it came out OK. Much grubbier but not too much...

I must say I am beginning to enjoy this airbrushing lark. Should have gotten one a long time ago. Hopefully I'll get to the hobby shop to buy some FLAT black paint tomorrow so I can do the registration numbers and squadron letters (if that's what you call them?). After this comes the pain of the kill markings. I am not sure what to do here as the dullards I ordered the stencils from sent me stickers instead of transfers and refused to fix their mistake. I'll have to make the masks manually I guess. Not looking forward to that!
You forgot the cowl on, show us some pictures with that on..............that would look awesome.
super kupfer is online now Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:37 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,940 Posts
Well I've ordered the masks for the kill markings from Callie's Graphics. She is charging $6 posted to Australia so it is worth a shot. Interstingly she has Dahlburg's P47 on the front page of her website incorrectly labeled as Glen Eagleston's plane. I pointed this out and she was grateful (or perhaps thought I was a complete bastard who knows!?)

And I will post a photo with the cowl a bit later on super kupfer. If you're really keen go back a couple of pages and you can see the cowl on in some shots there.

Invasion Stripes on the Wings
On another note I was looking closely at the reference photo I sent her of Dahlberg's plane, and notice that that you can clearly see the remains of invasion stripes running around the top and bottom of the wing. As you know all planes had the stripes running all the way around the wing at first, then this was amended to just the underside and then this fighter group removed the wing stripes all together, only leaving those under the fuse.

This is excellent, as now I plan to replicate these scrubbed off stripes on my model, to look something like this...

Should be fun!

EDIT - I just looked again, and now I am not so sure! What do you guys think? Can you see them or am I nuts!?