Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:51 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,687 Posts
Looks nice Gree. Thanks much for the prop file. I will save it with the rest of the info I am collecting. I tried looking for your mess up, but could not see it.
BTW, you can call me NCREG.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:14 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
I tried looking for your mess up, but could not see it.
You might think I am being dramatic or pedantic, but the photos on the paint job never did it justice. The detail when seeing the aluminium paint (before the clear) in person was way better than the photos could show. I rubbed each panel individually to make the tones look slightly different in the light, and that detail wasn't always obvious in the shots. The clear coat deleted most of that detail. I did rub the clear coat back a bit too to try to restore this effect, but it really isn't the same. Having said that, it isn't all that bad, and if I hadn't seen what it looked like before I probably wouldn't be so bummed (I have a feeling Jeff will know what I mean having painted cars. I remember one story about doing a good job then making a mistake which ruined the finish?).

Anyway onward and upward!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:46 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,948 Posts
It just looks awesome Gree. Getting an "aluminum" surface to look right is really tough, but you have pulled it off and then some. What kind of paint is that BTW?

The closest stuff I could find is Testors Buffing Metalizer paints, but they are intended for plastic model use. I used the stuff on a CMP Mustang build I did a while back and it came out more or less OK, but I have no idea what the long term durability of that finish would be becuase I sold the plane a couple months later to a guy that offered me a price I couldn't refuse.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:20 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,936 Posts
Thanks TTRotary. Go back a couple of pages... I posted a photo of the paint there.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:55 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,948 Posts
Thx, that's the only pic on that page I missed! Does it say anywhere on the can whether it's a high temp enamel? Looks like an automotive paint ( a good thing).

I also tried a hi-temp "engine enamel chrome" (was probably Krylon) on the underside of the wing for subject plane and had mixed results. First off (surprisingly) it was not hard and in fact would shed flecks - which I think is what you found Gree. It got annoying when handling the plane on a hot day. Not sure why this would occur on a high temp paint but maybe it has to stay flexible or something to handle expansion and contraction.

That Testors Metalizer paint did better and seemed harder, but not sure again about longevity. It did yield a pretty good weathered aluminum look.

Also, I have a question - rather than go through the tape rigamarole, why not just spray on 2 coats of the expanding primer and then etch the lines into the primer with a ballpoint pen and then sand down to the relief one wants? Seems less of a hassle than the tape and will give a thinner panel line.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Last edited by TTRotary; Nov 02, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:00 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Sorry about doubling up with earlier posts...just seeing if you were paying attention.

From the photos' i don't think you've done any harm with the paintwork..it's still beautiful. There, no sarcasm just credit where it's due. (I'm saving sarcasm and acid wit for later!)

Silver paint will nearly always give drama of one kind or another I've found. only with a proper base/clearcoat can handling problems be almost eradicated.

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2009
144 Posts
im alittle disappointed i was really hoping you have done fowler flap conversion here Gree as i wanted to copy it. iv been all the way through the posts again only to find you never arrrg
amxen is offline Find More Posts by amxen
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:16 AM
United Kingdom, England, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2011
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amxen View Post
im alittle disappointed i was really hoping you have done fowler flap conversion here Gree as i wanted to copy it. iv been all the way through the posts again only to find you never arrrg
The P47 didn't have Fowler Flaps. It used Slotted Trail Edge Flaps

I'm building this kit as a winter project so I am following this thread with interest. I'm putting an Evolution 26GX Gasser in mine and keeping the Razor back which I have to say was a pain in the butt to sheet - but over two nights of wetting/bending and glueing it is done

Gree you have done alot of research on this and saved me a huge amount of time trawling the WWW - Thanks for your efforts

--
Mark
Mark Derbyshire is offline Find More Posts by Mark Derbyshire
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:37 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,936 Posts
Hi everyone. Thanks for the comments. Sorry I haven't answered for a few days, had a bit of work to do, and also have to tweak a couple of FPV planes for some great flights last weekend.

TTRotary - the paint I used isn't high temperature paint. I think it is just the nature of the beast as Jeff has said. I can live with it anyway...

I terms of the panel lines, I just used the techniques that I read about on a few forums. However I have to say I prefer the tape method to the scribing method because you get perfectly clean, even lines. I did scribe one on the top of the fuse, and the quality of the line isn't as good. Besides, you have to sand anyway, so why not use the chart tape?

Jeff - thanks for the sincere comments. I do appreciate them. And yes metal colours are bastards!

Amxen - I don't think I have ever 'arrrg' before! Is some kind of technique I haven't heard of?

Mark - glad to have you aboard. I'm also glad you are finding my research useful. If you are writing a build thread I'd love to see it...
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2011
106 Posts
This is my build so far. I'm not that good at documenting builds so photo's and writeups are rare

I was just going to go for the standard 45 deg chamfer on the stab and rudder lead edges as I did on the Mustang but I thought I'd try to hide them on the P47

--
Mark
Mark Derbyshire is offline Find More Posts by Mark Derbyshire
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:30 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,936 Posts
Cool. If you do decide to make a thread let me know. You know I saw Snafu in bare metal at Duxford. I posted about it a few years ago in this thread. I have a lot of photos from that visit.

Good luck with the build.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:06 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Derbyshire View Post
The P47 didn't have Fowler Flaps. It used Slotted Trail Edge Flaps
And they would be VERY difficult to accurately reproduce at the scale of the TF model. Even on the much larger Robart and Aerotech Jugs it is very difficult to make a system that does not have a lot of slop. The very short moment arms of the full size mechanism leave zero room for error when scaling down.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:54 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Hi Mark, please put your build photos' in here for us, I need inspiration to get back building again, and I've started to be nice to Gree which has got to stop.
I see we're not too far apart.

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:01 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,936 Posts
I wouldn't mind other build photos going in their own thread if that's ok? Could get messy otherwise...

Oh and by the way if Steve is reading this (from RC scale builder, doing button nose), thanks for the kind words and the promotion of this thread. Sorry I can't respond on the other forum, I'm a tight ass and didn't pay to post!...
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:03 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,936 Posts
Oh and HOORAY, over 100,000 views on this thread!

All those people looking in expecting to see progress and just getting banter....