SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:17 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Thanks very much Terry.

I really hope it will balance as is. I mocked everything up and placed it on the balance stand when trying to determine the location of the batteries and it seems that they needed to be that far forward. However I am always bad at estimating cg! I think though, with the batteries that far forward it might be too nose heavy which is a better situation than too tail heavy in terms of how much weight I have to add to correct it. We will see!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:18 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
I must say I'm really enjoying the fact this thread is active again. I've missed it and the company of all of you
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:03 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,830 Posts
Thanks Gree... I will be doing some panel lines, and you say to use regular primer over the tape. I am glad i asked, because I was intending to do high fill!
I fiberglassed the fuse today! Again, I used WBPA and it was not difficult at all. I still need to do 4 more coats of the WBPA to get that real smooth feel, and then I will spray a coat of high fill primer to it.
Here is a great seies of videos I am using as a reference...
#6 Pimp Your ARF - Fiberglassing PART 1 (13 min 3 sec)

You are correct, Gree, I have not updated my thread for a while. I figured I would get to a major point before doing that. I am now there.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:10 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,830 Posts
I think this guy uses hi fill primer over top of his tape lines, as opposed to regular primer. Take a look and see what you think.
I just love the name of his video series... "Pimp Your Arf"
#10 Pimp Your ARF - Panel Lines (7 min 31 sec)
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:27 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Motivational Shots!

Thanks for sharing the videos - you know what? I believe I did use high fill over my panel lines now I come to think of it. It was a while ago. I'm too lazy to go back and check! Whatever works I say.

Just to Get Me Motivated...
I removed the fuse from the painting board, and sat the long completed cowl on the front. It really feels like we are moving forward now. You can see I really have some weathering to do as there is a big mismatch between the cowl and the brand new aluminium. Something to look forward to, but not today as I am at work on a Sunday!

Flite Metal? Who needs it!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:02 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Roughed Up

About 30 minutes with the 0000 steel wool and I have a much more aged looking airframe...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:59 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,830 Posts
Can you paint over top that silver paint?
I like the weathered look better.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:38 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,830 Posts
Hey Gree,
Have you settled on a prop yet? Can not find details on it during a search. I want to go with a 4 blade.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:42 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Yeah of course I can paint over it bloody hope so anyway!

Here is the link to my post in this thread that describes what props I have bought... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=828
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:48 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,830 Posts
The reason I ask about the paint is because I remember you saying a while back that it never really dried real hard, and when buffing it out, it kinda liquified on you.
Man, I hope you plane balances even somewhat or I am in trouble. I am also going to have a 6 oz. speaker mounted in the cowl. I did leave the very tail end of the fuse open for several reasons... a place to add wieght if I have to, a place for cooling air to escape, and a place to install my sattelite receiver.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:02 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
I will be spraying the aluminium with a clear coat which should seal it up. I've already done a test piece and it seems fine.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:44 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,830 Posts
Gree, this may be important to you. I think it is the prop you plan on using...

"* Safety Issue Regarding 15.5X12 - 4 Blade Propeller.

Please discontinue use of the 15.5X12 4 blade propeller on the YS170 engine. This propeller was designed for a 140 and is not sutible for larger, more powerful motors. Several failures have been reported. (LP415512)."
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:44 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
Gree, this may be important to you. I think it is the prop you plan on using...

"* Safety Issue Regarding 15.5X12 - 4 Blade Propeller.

Please discontinue use of the 15.5X12 4 blade propeller on the YS170 engine. This propeller was designed for a 140 and is not sutible for larger, more powerful motors. Several failures have been reported. (LP415512)."
I think that pertains to the gas engines. We used them on an electric powered 101" Hughes XF-11 with eFlite power 90's on 6s with no issues. You can use the same or simular power and is what I was thinking for my 47 when I finally get around to building it
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:09 PM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Oh buggar, I can't think of anything sarcastic to say Gree. Don't over do it on the weathering!

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:36 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Thanks for the prop warning. However I will be using 6S electric so I think it will be fine.

Jeff don't worry I am going for something subtle and understated in the weathering department - like this example from RCscalebuilder.com...