SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:25 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
I say build a glass case/ end table in the living room so it wont get dusty and it stays pristine. Then in another 20 years when your a better pilot you can fly it
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:30 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Jeff it will probably be too heavy to fly. I do have a CMP 60 size zero that is my practice plane. I have flown it a few times but not recently. I'll practice like hell on that before taking this one into the sky.

And you can't fool me. I see the love underneath your veil of sarcasm and barbs. You're just a big soft teddy bear aren't you? :P
Just try an keep wing loading around or under 40oz/sq ft and I'll bet it still flys nice. That's just a guess and it may actually be able to be a bit higher. My TF GS Corsair was 58oz/sq.ft and it still flew very nice, till it lost power. They DON'T glide very well at that weight.
You shouldn't have that problem going electric though. Get her painted and go enjoy it. First flight will be a knee shaker for sure. I thought I was going to have to hand off the radio on Corsair maiden. Next flight was like I had been flying it for ever though.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:05 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,946 Posts
Fuse has coat of paint!

Who Would'a Thunk It!?
I have finally applied the aluminium paint to the fuse today. This marks a massive milestone for me and this build. From here on in I can do more fun stuff like weathering and painting on all of my markings, and applying the stencils etc (OK apart from glassing the flaps and ailerons, then filling, sanding , priming, riveting and painting - feels like a backwards step actually!).

The surface detail came up really well with the coat of colour. It was very hard to see in primer but I think adds a nice level of depth to the fuse now . Of course when this dries for a few days, it will be buffed back with 0000 steel wool to give it a more aged appearance to match the elevators and rudder.

I'm looking forward to beginning the final paint and assembly

Mounting the fuse to the board made it SO easy to move the plane around safely, and there was zero risk of it falling over. Great way to save time painting and do it all in one hit. Highly recommended...

Feels good to be moving forward! Now to find all my extra bits I made ages ago like the tail wheel doors, oil cooler doors, cockpit, radio mast etc. For the life of me I don't know where the hell I put them! Moving house doesn't help either!

Again with the pics if you're interested in seeing the detail I recommend clicking the images once they open to see the bigger version. PS Don't ask me why the upload rotated all my photos. I don't know but I'm too lazy to redo them!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined May 2009
338 Posts
Awestruck by your work on this and the quality of the results. Inspiring project!
philipm785 is offline Find More Posts by philipm785
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:39 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,550 Posts
This looks awesome, what a work of art.

What type of paint did you use to simulate the alum look???
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:51 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Jeff it will probably be too heavy to fly. I do have a CMP 60 size zero that is my practice plane. I have flown it a few times but not recently. I'll practice like hell on that before taking this one into the sky.

And you can't fool me. I see the love underneath your veil of sarcasm and barbs. You're just a big soft teddy bear aren't you? :P
Buggar! am I that transparant !!

My Warhawk now hangs from the ceiling of the aeroclub restaurant, better to be safe than letting me fly it!

jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:46 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,438 Posts
Boy, that alum finish really brings out all the detail, doesn't it? I was afraid that most of your work would be camouflaged by the paint, but this is quite the reverse. Stunning!

Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:38 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,946 Posts
Thanks very much guys for the comments. Really appreciated. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Makes me wish I was going for the factory fresh look, but I'm committed to weathered now, so it won't be that shiny for long!

A few people have been asking me about the paint via PM so I thought I'd post a picture of it here. White Knight Super Chrome.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:50 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
They don't have that brand here in the states, But Krylon might have something like it. I will have to browse around and see what is available
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,912 Posts
Gree,
Did you fiberglass the ends of the horizontal and vertical stabs where the hinges go? Or just leave them unglassed?
BTW, the paint job looks great.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:53 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,946 Posts
I just left them un-glassed since you won't see it much. Back when I built the tail I got lazy and didn't put shrouds on the rudder and stabs to hide the hinge joint like I did on the ailerons. Wish I did now! The gap is pretty noticeable. Oh well. I'm just looking forward to starting something new soon...
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Sep 2009
40 Posts
Gree... that looks fantastic!
ihaveahellcat is offline Find More Posts by ihaveahellcat
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:40 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,912 Posts
Did the full scale have shrouds? One more question...
After glassing, did you spray with hi fill primer or regular primer? (the primer coat that gets sanded back down to reveal high and low spots)
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:04 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,946 Posts
Thanks very much ihaveahellcat!

Ncrealestateguy, after glassing and a flow coat of resin (unless you skip it like I did which I don't recommend), you hit it with high fill primer. Spend a good deal of your life sanding it all off again to discover there are many bits of weave you missed, which means you have to high fill again and sand again. Repeat as necessary.

I highly recommend using 3M sanding sponges. They are great for curves and you can just whack them about to get the dust out. I have thick and thin ones. I use 100 grit for really fast sanding and then when it gets most of the filler off switch to a 220 grit sponge for fine sanding. You may behave to repeat this entire filling and sanding process a few times to get things all smooth.

After this, I then use prep sol (wax and grease remover) to thoroughly clean the plane. If you are doing panel lines now is the time to measure them up and lay your chart tape. Then switch to regular primer and paint two or three coats over the tape lines. They won't look as if they are covered enough because the paint kind of makes the tape look raised, but two or three coats will give you a nice deep line. Then give the entire plane one coat of primer over the whole lot...

Now you sand using your 220 grit sponge along the panel lines until you can see the tape, then pull it off leaving a nice groove. At this stage I found a few more pin holes that need spot filling with putty and re-filling. Final sand everything with the 220 grit sponge and you're ready for your rivets and final paint coat! Phew!

By the way I haven't seen a subscription email from your thread for a while. It going OK?
Last edited by Gree; Oct 27, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:52 AM
Maple Ridge B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2006
40 Posts
Hi Gree,

Your P47 looks incredible. I started building my electric conversion a few weeks ago and I have been all over this thread for ideas and inspiration. I just hope mine turns out half as nice as yours. I plan on doing the 'Eileen' razorback color scheme. I cheated and bought the painted fiberglass cowl for the arf and it fits perfectly.

Does it look like it will balance out now with the battery location you are using?

Terry
stinker is offline Find More Posts by stinker