HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:02 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Ha funny you should say that Rossaer. I have a 1/5th scale Fw190D9 waiting, and a 1/4 Scale Fw190A in the wings...

But at the rate I go I'll be 50 before I get to them!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:45 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,953 Posts
Gree,
An aquaintance of mine just called last nite, asking me if I want his already built kit of 6 years and zero flights. It is currently gassed with air retracts. How many watts would I need for this to be powered correctly?
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:44 AM
Crash test dummy....
United States, TN, Waynesboro
Joined Mar 2012
110 Posts
What size airframe is it?.
mattthomas78 is offline Find More Posts by mattthomas78
Last edited by mattthomas78; Aug 19, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:02 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Last edited by Gree; Aug 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Still one helluva shoe box Gree!

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:53 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
Gree,
An aquaintance of mine just called last nite, asking me if I want his already built kit of 6 years and zero flights. It is currently gassed with air retracts. How many watts would I need for this to be powered correctly?
I bought my arf planning on making it electric and was shooting for at least 1000watts. I was going to go with the power 90 and CC ICE 75 combo. Even on 6s you can get anywhere from 800-1300 watts from this one depending on the prop you choose. Since I wanted to run a 4 blade I figured the P-90 would be a better choice than the P60. I have run the P60 with the APC15.5x12x4 prop on 5s in the 40 size Mustang and it flys great. But I think the jug will be heavier and probably need the extra cell for more thrust. That was the plan, now I'm being drawn to the dark side and going to run a DLE 20.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:20 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,953 Posts
So about 100 watts per pound?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Aug 2008
522 Posts
Gree,

Whose 1/4 scale FW-190A do you have? I have a 1/8th scale one like it so much I'm looking for a larger size.

PS I knew you must have some bigger planes lurking somewhere.

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:43 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
So about 100 watts per pound?
That's what they say. I have my setup posted on page 4 or something. This was recommended to me by someone who has it in their Top Flite Corsair and said it was great for that application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer View Post
Gree,

Whose 1/4 scale FW-190A do you have? I have a 1/8th scale one like it so much I'm looking for a larger size.

PS I knew you must have some bigger planes lurking somewhere.

al
It's the Meister Scale short kit. I also have a 1/5th Bob Holman 190D9 on the shelf. I have a Zephyr II Fpv platform to knock over before that though. IF I ever get going again. Soon soon.....
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:38 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,953 Posts
Well, as I was showing homes to a buyer client of mine, I noticed in one of the garages of the sellers, a TF P47 Razorback. Long story short, I got it real cheap. He built it from a kit six years ago, and then never flew it. The monokote covering was done horribly, and the control surfaces do not mate up with the wings, or stabs, so I will be doing these over. I will be converting this from IC to electric. Probably 8 cell.
I only got this plane because of this thread and all of the great info in it. Thanks Gree for that.
Gree would you happen to have the schematic plans of the ailerons that you could take a pic of so I have something to go by?
I will start a separate thread. Come check it out.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:30 PM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
Looks a lot like my electric powered jug I built many years ago. Power was a geared Maxcim that allowed me to turn a reasonable size four blade prop. I think I used 25 Sub C cells originally. I switched to lipos a few years ago and overdid it burning up the motor. I think the max power was okay, but the extra time of flight from 6 to 10 minutes did the motor in.

Been a long time since I posted anything here so I've forgotten how to post pictures, but I'll give it a shot.

Norm
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:18 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Hey ncrealestateguy. Nice score. I will have a look for my aileron plans. I think I cut up the plans to make the templates but I'll check for you if you can wait a day or two. Post a link to your new thread so we can find it. I am sure you'll have more action on yours than I do on mine lately!

Really chuffed to hear this thread inspired you
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:40 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,953 Posts
Gree, I am "chuffed" too! I barely paid anything for it, and he gave me about $200 worth of building tools and accessories for no cost.
This will be my first real balsa plane and my first warbird. I think I will glass with WBPU and talc powder. Anyone can chime in here and let me know how hard this gets? I will also be getting rid of the air retracts and buying electrics.
Gree, I can wait for the aileron plans. I hope you have them... I will hate to have to guess and do them from scratch.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
NCRealEstateGuy in a PM send me your email address. I have an unmolested set of plans for my kit. I also have a full cockpit, dummy engine and drop tanks, bombs for mine I am waiting to get a few more planes built before I get into this one. I think I will do it as a bubble top rather than the razorback as I also have that canopy. All I am missing from my kit is the cowl.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:20 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
I dug all the relevant bits of plan out this morning to take to work to scan for you RCREALESTATEGUY and then left them in the workshop! Whoops!

I can photograph them for you and give you a reference measurement, or if you can wait until Monday I can scan them for you so they'll be the right size...