SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:08 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Thanks Jeff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser View Post
Glad you've got this one down as a 'practice' model, next time you can really do it properly.
I know some of you may think I am being a bit ridiculous with my comments about the 'practice plane'. But as this is the first time I have ever done anything like this, all of these techniques are new to me and I have made a lot of mistakes along the way. I know I could do better and I enjoy trying to get things as good as I can make them.

The fact that I made the huge mistake allowing the skin to sag in between the stringers is quite disappointing as the nice curve of the fuse is now decidedly 'ridgy'. So I will chalk it up to a learning experience and carry this forward to the planes I really care about - the Luftwaffe examples Don't get me wrong though, I am having fun, learning and have a strong attachment to this plane.

So take my references to 'practice' with a grain of salt. I'm not fishing for compliments but genuinely bummed at my boo boos!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:25 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,603 Posts
Gree,

You're doing a great job and, just as you surmised earlier, I think you will find that most of the starved horse look will go away once the airframe is broken up with rivets, hatches, camouflage, markings, etc. I have the same issue with my Hellcat and nobody other than myself has ever noticed it. About the only way to get around the problem is to plank the fuselage rather than sheeting it or to add a bunch of stringers to support the sheeting. Live and learn is a useful motto and I'm sure you will be more aware of the problem next time around. However, I don't think that it will be nearly as noticeable on the finished airplane as it is with just the bare primer surface. Looking forward to your next update.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:05 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Thanks very much Chad. We'll see I guess. It might be noticeable because of the metal finish, but it is what it is!

There might be another build delay for me right around the corner. There is a chance I may be moving but we'll see!
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:21 AM
"the bouncer"
Australia, VIC, Vermont
Joined Nov 2006
4,850 Posts
Keep it up Gree , I understand the practise model term very well , its amazing what you learn with each build . Keep it up
mackone is online now Find More Posts by mackone
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:05 PM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Gree, many of my models have had the starving horse look to them, usualy by overdoing the doping on fabric covered aircraft, but hey, you should worry mate, I keep forgetting this is a first attempt, of which many scale builders would be proud to park in the pits at the fling club.
Even my best model or when I restored cars etc had something wrong that only I knew of, and I'm sure this applies to most restorers etc.

Your P.47 is the type of model that model shops just love to have hanging from their ceilings to get potential customers thinking they need to buy a very expensive scale model.

Stop worrying and get on with it, it's fine, and no, Im not going to spoil all that by adding a sarcastic comment!

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:08 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
909 Posts
Starved Horse, Pfffft!

If you want the starved horse look, check out my Me 109 build!

Your Jug looks fantastic Gree.

BIW.
BuildItWright is offline Find More Posts by BuildItWright
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:01 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Thanks very much for the comments guys. I appreciated every one.

In other news, I will be disappearing again for a couple of months, maybe 3. We will be moving house and there is a LOT to do. I am very glad I got a little time to get back into this, and never fear I will be back, with I might add, a new workshop much bigger than the current one, and much better than Jeff's shoebox in 't middle of the road!
Last edited by Gree; Mar 07, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:28 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
837 Posts
Good luck with the move Gree. We look forward to when you can continue with the P-47.
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Sep 2009
40 Posts
Good luck Gree.
ihaveahellcat is offline Find More Posts by ihaveahellcat
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:04 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Shoebox, tch!..............

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:41 AM
Crash test dummy....
United States, TN, Waynesboro
Joined Mar 2012
110 Posts
Absolutely amazing work done to this bird!!! I'll be following this thread until the end!!
mattthomas78 is offline Find More Posts by mattthomas78
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:24 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Thanks very much. I hope you are patient. As you will have read above, I have to take another break for a couple of months while moving house. But I will finish it this year for sure - I have more builds to start!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:47 AM
Crash test dummy....
United States, TN, Waynesboro
Joined Mar 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Thanks very much. I hope you are patient. As you will have read above, I have to take another break for a couple of months while moving house. But I will finish it this year for sure - I have more builds to start!
Well there's one thing about most of us rednecks, we're for the most part very patient. Sometimes life gets in the way of our goals but I'm sure you will finish this beauty soon enough.
mattthomas78 is offline Find More Posts by mattthomas78
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:19 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Found this wonderful build last night and just now made it to Post #763. Can't wait for the finish of this build and the beginning of your next. You have certainly mastered the art and this is only you first actual build. Amazing!

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:25 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Just found this "Build" late last night and just finished post #763. Hard to believe this is your first actual build. Truly amazing workmanship. Can't wate for the finish and then the beginning of your next.

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh