HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:14 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Ha! I was thinking 'what the hell is he going on about now?', then zoomed in on the photo. Laughed out loud! I have no idea what that picture is about but I assure you it came out of an ordinary newspaper!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:08 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Ready for Raised Panel Details

Well It's Done
But I am NOT happy with the results. I had a very bad day at work today - came home very angry and thought I'd work it off by getting stuck into the '47. Well never build when you're angry...

Basically it worked out OK, but the depth is not nearly enough. I only put one coat of the spray putty on. I know better than that. It would need about 3 coats to get the same good depth that my overlapping panels have on the elevators for example.

So the effect is really too subtle to look very good. I am thinking I can salvage it a bit by some careful airbrushing of the line after the final paint to highlight the raised panel more. Funnily enough it is probably close to a scale thickness, but as everyone knows sometimes these details need a little extra emphasis for the effect to work. I am going with it now...
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:16 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,414 Posts
Looks great to me. I think you are right, with a little detail magic at the end it will really pop!

Can you tell me about this "spray putty"? Is it just build up primer or is there really a spray on putty?

Thanks
Matt
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,467 Posts
Everybody has a different opinion about what looks good Gree but I think you may be pleasantly surprised with how well those panels stand out under a coat of paint. Particularly so if you give the airplane a dirty wash and allow it to settle into the crevices.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:40 PM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
[QUOTE=Pickle72;20881613
Can you tell me about this "spray putty"? Is it just build up primer or is there really a spray on putty?

Thanks
Matt[/QUOTE]

Matt,
spray 'putty' is like a very thick primer, used to cover poor under finishes (as in the case of Grees' P.47 )
It can be bought in aerosol form, when sprayed two - three coats (leave to dry inbetween coats). When fully dried, puff it over with some black aerosol and then flat back say with 400 grit wet/dry progressing to 800 w/d untill all the black has gone. As this is done it will show any imperfections in the surface e,g. pinholes or heavey rubbing down marks.
When you're happy, you can reprime with normal primer, ready to flat and add top coats.
Glad to help if I can.

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:48 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,414 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

Thanks
Matt
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:50 PM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Gree, if you can get to model shop that sells modelling aids (sure there's a sick joke in there somewhere!) for plastic modelers, they might have some small tools that scribe panel lines into plastic. I'm sure this could be used to re do your panel lines to a slightly greater depth.
(it looks like the sort of nasty thing dentists use, )

Jeff
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:51 PM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Matt, that was quick!

Anytime.

Jeff
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:01 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Actually I just worked out why the panels are so flat... Not so much the number of coats actually, butI used a different brand of electrical tape, and when I compared them today, it was much thinner than the tape I used before, giving a much thinner overlap... Bugger!

Check your materials people! Lesson learned. Not the end of the world.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:50 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Ready for Final Primer Coat my Butt!

Am working from home today, so had a quick peek at the fuse in the bright daylight in between tasks. Man it still needed more pinholes filled and there were also areas that I had not sanded smooth enough.

Guess it never ends! You'll always find more imperfections the more you look. However this will be my LAST filling and sanding pass over the fuse - no really..... I'm going to stop looking...

I spent about an hour staring very closely at the fuse in the good light, finding every imperfection I could. These were filled or circled for more sanding as appropriate.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Sep 2009
40 Posts
This is weird, i was expecting some comment from Jeff about how the whole plane should be covered in pencil or something along those lines.
Looking good though Gree.
ihaveahellcat is offline Find More Posts by ihaveahellcat
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:30 PM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveahellcat View Post
This is weird, i was expecting some comment from Jeff about how the whole plane should be covered in pencil or something along those lines.
Looking good though Gree.
It was tempting! Though in Grees case it would have to be wax crayons as he's not advanced enough for pencils.. and you know the havoc wax will cause to the top coats

Jeff
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:27 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
*dignified silence*
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:21 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Fuse is in primer!

Passed a Big Milestone Today (and no Jeff it doesn't hurt as much as a kidney stone)
Well I feel like I am really moving ahead today. The fuse is finally in primer! There has been a lot of filling and sanding etc to get to this point, and I have really learned a lesson about preparation of surfaces prior to glassing! I'll pay a lot more attention to this in the future to save myself so much work later on. When I glass something again, I'll also definitely use a flow coat. This time I filled the weave with hi fill primer, but it was way slower and you end up with a softer surface. I did say this was my practice plane!

I spent a day measuring and cutting aluminium foil to make all of the removable panels on the plane, and also indented screw heads into them prior to the primer coat.

Disturbingly, I can't find my tail wheel doors! I want to prime them at the same time so I can do all of my riveting at once. I am sure I packed them safely somewhere and have to trust they'll turn up when I unpack everything again when the construction in our apartment is FINALLY complete...

Of course after the flat primer, I can see a couple of areas with (more) pinholes that need attention, but it is not too bad. The surface is smooth but a bit wobbly, but I like that, more realistic! Unfortunately you can definitely still see the 'starved horse' effect on the fuse (ie the skin sagging between the stringers). But I hope when the detail and weathering goes on it won't be too bad (did someone say practice plane!?).

It is starting to come together. Next is riveting! My absolute favourite part!

PS - I hate the small pop up windows this new look site has. Make sure you click the image once it pops up so it opens larger in a new window if you want to see more detail...
Last edited by Gree; Mar 03, 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:09 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Excellent mate, I too love your little double door, was'nt he the headmaster at Hogwarts?

Glad you've got this one down as a 'practice' model, next time you can really do it properly.

Clever of you to pre-emt me re the milestone gag! you know I would'nt have been able to resist it.

Jeff