Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:11 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser View Post
It could'nt look any worse than grees' P.47
OH...you guys are ruthless! But suspect the truth hurts hey Gree????
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Last edited by rcwings; Feb 20, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:36 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Ahaaaa welcome back Jeff. I kept the smashed me262 for years with the intent of fixing it. Then when cleaning up took a good look and decided realistically I wouldn't fix it. It's ok plenty more to take its place.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:54 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Just so much ruined Balsa then..

Nice one RCWings, hit him where it hurts I say.

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:48 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
All Masked Up

Masking Done for Final Putty Coat
Well I have finished sanding the fuse down, and have also masked it up for its final coat of spray putty to build up the wing fillet and the faring around the tail. These panels are raised above the others, so I measured it all up, masked with electrical tape to give it enough depth, and added the necessary panel lines.

I just have to mask off all of the remaining surface area with some newspaper, and I'll give it a spray, then sand it back to reveal the panel lines, and then remove all the tape.

After that it is adding all of the raised panels out of aluminium tape, then the final grey coat of primer, and measuring for rivets!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:12 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
O.K. Gree, you win! It's looking marvelous. Is that really aluminium tape on there? if so that's the best I've ever seen when applied to a model.

Jeff
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Jeff now I can't tell when you're being serious anymore! Aluminum tape where? Or are you being sarcastic about my blue electrical tape?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,870 Posts
Now, you ARE planning to have a scale cockpit with stick and pedals that move with the control surfaces, right? If not, you might as well scrap it now and start all over.

Other than that, it's looking great.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:13 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Gree,

I think Jeff is getting soft!!! I agree with him...it looks amazing! Keep it up and in a couple years we will be reading about you in the magazines as one of those scale competitors at events like Top Gun or such!!!! Just remember us ruthless folks on this thread that "drove" you to perfection!

Cheers!
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:20 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Thanks very much guys. You'll never see me at top gun though, a bloody long way to go and a big ocean in the way

I'd like to enter it in a static competition before I fly it, but that might mean I'd have to join a club and im not really a club guy...

PS. A little off topic... Was thermalling with an eagle today in my FPV plane wingtip to wingtip. Then the bloody thing attacked me and half ripped the camera off it's mount! I should have some good footage of this, but just got home and won't get to it until tonight. Damn good thermal too
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:16 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
No Gree, this time I'm being serious, credit where it's due. The 'aluminium' areas look superb if they really are paint. You have achieved the near impossibility of getting silver paint to look like aluminium.
I was'nt sure as I could'nt see any 'fold' lines at the wing root end of the flap area.

On the other hand I would definately try and enter it into a static display at a show if you can, 'cos if your flying is anything like the rest of the build it wont last more than a quick flight!

(could'nt help that Gree, just balances up the comments!!)

Jeff
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:57 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Ah Jeff, i was getting that warm fuzzy feeling, you know the one, when a father figure you desperately want to impress finally gives you a little praise - only to be brought crashing back down by your 'balance coment'

Ah wouldn't have it any other way.

I know it has been a long time, but don't you remember all my photos and descriptions of painting the wing!? It definitely is not tape (poor fella, must be getting senile, time to take you for a long walk in the snow, that's what the Eskimos do isn't it?)

Seriously though thanks very much for the comments, and for the humour.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:45 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Got everything masked up ready to do the final fill coat. Then it started to rain... Hopefully will get to spray it tomorrow evening after work.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:07 PM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Sorry about the tape thing, I just thought you could'nt stand letting other people see your usual awful standard of paintwork and thought you had nothing to lose by using aluminium tape.
I should have put it another way in that it looked so damned good it actualy looked like aluminium panels.

p.s. did you tear that masking paper out of one of your bondage mags' by mistake?!!!!!

Jeff
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,425 Posts
Quote:
p.s. did you tear that masking paper out of one of your bondage mags' by mistake?!!!!!
LOL, I saw that too!

Glad you are back at it Gree, looking good as usual.

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:07 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser View Post

Jeff

Watching with interest. Have the same kit and thinking of doing it as a red tail
Mike
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike