SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:14 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Yeah, how many people are asking about the weight is starting to worry me. Although I am definitely not doing any more than what others do on scale builds. But I think I probably did use too much glue and it all adds up I know.

I'm pretty sure it'll fly though... Guess we'll find out... Sometime!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:05 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Help With Stencil Locations!

I am hoping someone can help me out here. I have all of the dry transfer stencils or nomenclature for the plane, but no idea where some of them go.

Does anyone have any model kit stencils with placement instructions like the ones below they could scan in high resolution and post up for me? These below are all I could find and as you can see they are too low a resolution to be readable, and hence are of no use...

Two of these are what getstencils sent through as instructions, with no numbers to match the stencils to placement and the placement images too crap to see what the stencils were supposed to be! Talk about dodgy.

I thought if someone out there has a model P47 with an instruction sheet showing this info they wouldn't mind sharing... Or if anyone knows where I can find this info online I'd be grateful.

Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:03 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Bottom of the Wings are Silver! Alllllll Riiiight!

Well the Entire Wing is in its Final Colour
The paint on the top of the wing seemed quite hard after a few days, and since the wing was not yet packed away, (everything else is!) I quickly took it outside and sprayed the final silver coat. Love this paint - looks like aluminium all right.

I have to say I am very happy with how it has come out. One or two blemishes on the aileron servo hatches, (possible surface roughness or more likely a big oily finger print I forgot to clean off), but overall the intense amount of preparation work has truly paid off. Jeff you and your corvette would be proud...

Only a few minutes work... Man check out the space I have to work in for painting!

Now I really need to know where all the stencils go
Last edited by Gree; Apr 20, 2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Added a couple of indoor 'moody lighting' pics
Old Apr 21, 2011, 06:57 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Shoe box, pah! all we 'ad were a...........

Sorry Gree, could'nt help it!!!

See, all that hard work is starting to pay off.

Jeff.
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Apr 21, 2011, 07:26 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
The detail on that wing is unreal! (Even more impressive ... no overspray on the plants! )

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old Apr 21, 2011, 07:26 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,421 Posts
Wow Gree that wing is a work of art!
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:03 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Lookin great Gree!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:42 AM
Joined May 2008
14 Posts
Gree,

Just finished working my way through this thread. You've done a great job especially for your first scale model, I'm really looking forward to the all up cameo shots and the video of the maiden.

I have to say though that I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair, when you were glassing the wing and you said "Finally, the wing is all done!" I could help but think to myself "just wait till this guys shoots the first coat of primer on that wing he has no idea how far from done he is!" ROFLMAO. Just to let you know that is officially known as the, primer, sand, fill, sand, primer, sand, fill, sand and primer phase and trust me no one likes to do it.

Again great job so far.
Scott
LSDean is offline Find More Posts by LSDean
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:28 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Thanks very much for the nice comments guys...

And yeah thanks Scott - you're not wrong. The filling and sanding is a nightmare, but worth it once done.

I rubbed the top of the wing back this afternoon with steel wool to knock the shine down. Worked well, but I put a couple of stencils on the wing in the wrong place, and had to scrub them off and wore through the silver in a couple of places One will be covered by the star bar, but the worst one will have to be repainted.

Ah well live and learn eh. Don't scrub too far!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 07:55 AM
Joined May 2008
14 Posts
Gree,

You may have said and I missed it, but could you tell me where you got the dry transfers for you plane?

Thanks,
Scott
LSDean is offline Find More Posts by LSDean
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Sep 2009
40 Posts
Hey Gree i hope this will help you with the markings.
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/de...ztz32011.shtml
ihaveahellcat is offline Find More Posts by ihaveahellcat
Old Apr 22, 2011, 06:56 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Thanks Ihaveahellcat, but not as much help as I would like. The image showing the positions is clear, but the image showing what decals are what is too small to read (I guess this is sensible when you think about it otherwise why would people buy the product?)

I have been scouring my photos of P47s and have been finding placement for a fair few of the main stencils, so I may have to keep looking...
Old Apr 22, 2011, 06:59 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Damn Getstencils Strikes Again
And I just noticed on my Getstencils stencils (there you go LSDean) they only put ONE set of 1 2 3 4 on the sheet (OK technically there are 4 sets of 1 2 3 4 on the sheet, but they are all DIFFERENT SIZES)! Now what the hell am I supposed to do?!

Seriously Scott, don't use get stencils... If you read back a few pages you'll see my other complaint.

Whoops Missed a Bit(s)
Looks like I slightly missed a few patches in the bottom of the wing (that's what you get for trying to paint in a space where you have to be a contortionist just to reach, and apparently not reach enough), so it's back outside to fix the rubbed through patches on the top, and the only slightly misted patches on the bottom. Oh but wait it is raining today! Bugger it.

Am off to the city with my wife to take a look at all the easter sales, so will pop into the hobby store there to but some paint for the stars and bars. I am going to give the airbrush a try.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:19 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Wing is Ready for Weathering, But I'll Wait Until the Entire Plane is Done...

Rub-a-Dub
I have rubbed down the wing with steel wool. I did different panels in different directions, using a piece of newspaper as a mask when rubbing near panel lines. I found out that this silver paint DOES NOT like degreaser. It melts the paint... In a couple of places the paint rubbed off back to the primer, so I had to mask up, respray, and rub back. But all in all it turned out pretty good.

I also painted the fasteners on the gun bays, ammo trays and belly a darker grey, so they stand out a bit. On the real planes I noticed that they go quite dark, as I think they oxidise more being steel. I might revise the colour and put a little brown wash over them during weathering.

I have also read about using Tamiya 'smoke' paint over some panels to give them a different hue. On all the reference photos I have, the belly panels are all quite varied in colour, so I may give this a go a bit later.

Stencils are On
Well, most of them. By the end of the day all of the wing stencils will be in place. I only have one or two more. I managed to find the locations by looking at a LOT of photos of the real plane. Very laborious, and some planes have the same stencil in slightly different places, but ah well. They are on now.

I am not sure if my stencils are a bit old, or whether you normally have to rub so hard, but man, you have to rub them down HARD! Everywhere I have put them the wood is slightly dented. Ah well wobbly old planes right? Adds to the effect...

I'm ready for the stars and bars, but after having smelt the thinner for the paint I bought yesterday, I am not sure I'll be able to paint this in the house.... Hmmmm
Last edited by Gree; Apr 24, 2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:54 PM
Joined Jun 2009
354 Posts
Man you are doing a magnificent job!
I would never be able to do it!!!
I am not good at Painting!
Amazing!
Fab3105 is offline Find More Posts by Fab3105