HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:56 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Sorry Stuart I don't really know the difference between the kit and the ARF. I imagine they would be pretty similar. I have to say the scale outline of the kit if pretty spot on. I have been studying 3 views and photos a LOT for the panel lines, and the measurements are all pretty much right on.

I got about half of the panel lines done today. Man this takes a LOOOOONG time to do! Thought I would have it finished in one day but no way. Around the belly pan it gets pretty complicated. So I have most of the fuse left to do... One more day or a couple of evenings through the week should do it.

Gree, what are you using tp draw on your panel lines? AWESOME job by the way!

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2011, 03:36 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
A pencil.

After that I am sticking on 1/32nd (I think!) chart tape. This gives a raised line so that when I spray the final coat of high fill primer it covers the tape and then leaves a groove when sanded flush and the tape is removed. I used a lot of tape yesterday and am on my last roll. Got to order some more!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Feb 27, 2011, 03:58 PM
Prunner
Auburn, KS
Joined Oct 2008
829 Posts
Rtf

Hello Gree. I use a pencil too. HB lead type or F. I tried a little experiment last night that might save you a tad bit of weight and is real easy to do. I still have a long way to go to finish the detailing etc, but she's basically ready to fly at 8.6lbs dry. RTF weight will be under 10lbs. I substituted maybe 4 sheets of the stock wood skins mainly due to grain variances. All control surfaces were covered w/ silk span, but the rest of the plane was covered w/ .75 oz glass and resin.
Think I'm going to do a scratch built cockpit next and let you show me how to do the panels and paint.
prunner is offline Find More Posts by prunner
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:44 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
It seems that I'm personaly responsible for everything that goes wrong these days!

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:46 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
I hold you personally responsible.
It seems I'm responsible for everything that goes wrong these days! including double posting!!

Jeff
Old Mar 01, 2011, 02:46 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Thanks Prunner, but I used balsa control surfaces, particularly because the control surfaces on the real plane were all metal, and I needed to be able to detail them.

Jeff - Damn right! You must be copping a hammering for all the national budget cuts you are responsible for in the UK at the moment too! You should be ashamed of yourself!
Old Mar 01, 2011, 06:40 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Jeff - Damn right! You must be copping a hammering for all the national budget cuts you are responsible for in the UK at the moment too! You should be ashamed of yourself![/QUOTE]

I've just poked knitting needles in my eyes as a way of saying sorry for the Libyan crisis. I hope Gaddafi forgives me.

B.T.W. did your news coverage show the Libyan guy bashing ammo' into the feed belt on yesterdays t.v. news? It made me wince!
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:57 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,904 Posts
Gree,

Check this out....and listen to this prop unwind!

CARF Models P-47 Thunderbolt (3 min 57 sec)
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:12 PM
Porto Alegre, Brazil
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
Gree,

Post more pics of the job you are doing! We are curious.

Strictlyscale...
When i hear the sound of those moki radials... i feel like living is worthwhile.
Seriously. Gotta have one of those.
danielcelta is offline Find More Posts by danielcelta
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:13 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,736 Posts
man, i didnt even know carf had a P-47...ive seen the corsair, and would just about kill for one. 47 is sick though. id have a real hard time choosing betweein a moki powered carf corsair....or a turbine carf A-4....
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:27 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Still Doing Panel Lines!

Thanks for posting the video Strictlyscale - sounds great!

Don't worry danielcelta I'm slowly working away with the panel lines. I have not finished yet though. Maybe one more day. I am taking my time and trying to get it right.

I made the oil cooler doors from scratch, the top flight ones are bloody terrible. Way out of scale. I recessed the plastic intercooler doors into the wood and filled the area so it should look pretty smooth when the final coats go on.

I also wasn't happy with the supercharger exit scoop. It was missing a 'wrap around' fairing, so I made one out of styrene and epoxy with a lot of microballoons. I also made the vent behind the scoop (can't remember what that one is for!).

I still have to finish the panel lines around the intercooler doors and the bottom of the fuse. I also am going to use tape to create the louvers in the top of the fuse and the little vents on the bottom of the fuse, so when sprayed with the final coat of high-fill primer they'll be recessed.

I'll keep plugging away!
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:09 AM
Weathers Good, Gotta Go Fly
Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2008
385 Posts
I'm sure it will be "Good enough" with all the attention you are giving this build.

Richard
Richard Stokes is offline Find More Posts by Richard Stokes
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:41 AM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Gree, the 'scoop' is in fact the supercharger exhaust 'Hood' fairing, and the small vent behind it is the supercharger compartment air vent.

I'm not a bottomless pit of knowledge on P.47's, I just looked it up on a cutaway drawing of the 'Jug'

Lookin' good mate,

Jeff
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:33 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
You have redeemed yourself Jeff. Nice work
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:53 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Done! Crap - what a time consuming job!

Well, I have finished marking up the panel lines and various vents etc. Phew! Massive job!

Under a strong light (which I didn't have in the garage) I found sooooooo many pinholes on the underside of the wings and belly! Ideally I should have fixed these first before marking the lines, but I am going to spray the final coat of high-fill, and fix them at the same time as I sand to reveal the panel lines. Hopefully this coat should fix a lot of them anyway.

There is only 1 panel line on the original plane (according to my 3 views) that I have not replicated on the model. This is because the inner edge of wheel wells are slightly out compared with the full scale (ie further apart if viewed from the bottom), and the line would not make sense on the curvature of the belly. Otherwise they are all there apart from the numerous raised or removable panels which will be made with aluminium tape after the final sanding and before rivets are applied.

If you are trying hard to be accurate as I am, there is a LOT of measuring and converting scales and percentages. Happy though that mostly the plane is very close to scale in its proportions.

Man I am buggered! I'm going to take a Bex and lie down now!
Last edited by Gree; Mar 06, 2011 at 03:03 AM. Reason: added some photos