SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:15 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Awwwww yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stokes View Post
A good cheat for for your paint to put through your airbrush is to decant paint from an aerosol can...
Richard
Thanks Richard, this is not a bad idea. I'll keep that in mind for the near future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prunner View Post
Gree, before you get along much further I'd like to know how you obtained the stencils. They look great and I think they add so much to a model, although I've never figured out good way to do them. Did you send off for them? Make them on your printer? Basically I just need them because I'm really impressed with how yours turned out.
Hi Prunner. They are from Getstencils. They have a range of different nomenclatures at different scales already in stock. They had 1/5th scale P47 nomenclature, so they scaled it down to 1/7th for me (very accurately as it turned out). They even let me change the serial number of the aircraft registration stencil.

They also do vinyl masks. I designed the masks in Adobe Illustrator for the stars and bars, the cowl artwork, tail serial number and kill markings, and they made those up too.

However one thing I was very pissed off at, was that they sent me an invoice to approve all the items before they made them, and they changed the kill markings to stickers on the invoice. I missed this as I didn't expect them to change the format of anything, received them in the mail, complained and was told it was my fault because it said stickers on the invoice, and if I wanted masks I had to pay for it! Why the hell would I want bloody stickers if I am going to all the trouble of making masks for everything!? I might use a different company in the future.

Speaking of Masks...
I have finished painting the cowl (except for final weathering)! I won't go into a huge amount of detail, but will caption the photos step by step. I guess you could say I am pretty happy with the result...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:58 AM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,062 Posts
Wow that looks great! I'm sure you are enjoying every bit of this Gree. All your models I've seen are beautifully finished but this is the best.
Chris F is online now Find More Posts by Chris F
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:05 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Hey thanks Chris. Nice to know you're still out there. Yes I really enjoy the finishing part! This weekend I have managed to convince a friend to let me hi fill the fuse and wing in his back yard - so soon I'll get to do hundreds of rivets on those! Weeeee!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:48 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stokes View Post
A good cheat for for your paint to put through your airbrush is to decant paint from an aerosol can, as this is already thinned correctly for spraying. I've used this technique with some success in the past when spraying RC car bodies. One thing to check though, is to test spray first as some paints have some strange properties, one I tried, for want of a better description, made cowebs of paint!!

Richard
Richard, you have just discovered how to do 'marbleing' To create this custom effect for cars or bikes you have to have Acrylic paint. sprayed with little or no thinners and a very low air pressure it will come out of the gun in 'cobwebs' If sprayed almost horizontal to the surface you are working on it will lay down in a marble effect, using browns, greys, and blues etc. at different angles this can be very effective.

Gree, that looks fabulous. With no loss of detail either, I really am pleased for you as aerosols can be an unknown, but this paint is obviously of quality.
I'll bet you are glad you did'nt paint the yellow inside the cowl, it has so much more depth like you have it now. You must feel very satisfied which of course gives you the incentive to continue.
Beautiful.

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:18 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
sweet!! love it
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:19 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Cowl Weathering Done

Done and Dusted
Well it is nice to finished at least one part of the plane! You can't see as much detail in the photos, but it should give you the gist. I am pretty happy with the level of weathering here. Quite subtle (for me!).

I spent the afternoon masking up the fuse and wing. Tomorrow after an FPV flight in the morning, I am off to a friend's house to prime them.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:15 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,087 Posts
Awesome and a beautifull artwork.....
Congratulations ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ-
Manuel.
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:34 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
just the right amount there Gree, glad you managed to contain yourself and not over do it with the age patina.

What did you use to 'dirty' it up? A 'wash' of very thin paint perhaps.

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:08 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
Excellent work on the JUG.

I am ready to start mine now, so this has helped me out considerably.

I do have a question for all WWII scale builders, What books, video, websites, etc. are you using to get you scale documentation from? I have a "Walk Around" book and a "P-47 Thunderbolt In Action" book, but I would like to have something better.

Also, what are you using for "paint" to make things look dirty or worn?
edge_pilot is online now Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:02 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
Very nice work Gree!
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:07 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
The more you get completed, the more discouraged I get to finish my Mustang. This thing is looking so awesome. It's kind of like going out and seeing a really hot chick, then realizing you have the fat one on your arm.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:29 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Wing and fuse filled

Thanks very much everyone. Really nice to hear your encouragement, makes posting worthwhile! Greatly appreciated one and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
The more you get completed, the more discouraged I get to finish my Mustang. This thing is looking so awesome. It's kind of like going out and seeing a really hot chick, then realizing you have the fat one on your arm.
Hahaha! Made me laugh out loud there! Nah, It looks better in the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_pilot View Post
What books, video, websites, etc. are you using to get you scale documentation from? I have a "Walk Around" book and a "P-47 Thunderbolt In Action" book, but I would like to have something better.

Also, what are you using for "paint" to make things look dirty or worn?
I use steel wool first to scrub down the surface lightly - it takes off the new look and flattens things out a bit.

I have the P47 walk around book as well; It is really not very good. I also use FLight Journal magazines. A few years ago they used to put out special issues that concentrated on one plane. So I have a lot of period photos in that. Otherwise I just use google! Tell you what though I have some amazing books for Fw190!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser View Post
What did you use to 'dirty' it up? A 'wash' of very thin paint perhaps.
Hi Jeff, yes just a wash of black and light brown. Many layers. So I put on the wash around the bits I want, use cotton wool dampened a bit to wipe off the hard edges. That's it.

Now the Pain Begins
Here is my friend's backyard. Now the wing and fuse are all filled ready for A LOT of sanding. I put 2 whole cans on these! And all of it will be sanded off now....
Last edited by Gree; Feb 15, 2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Added some more photos a friend just sent me
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:25 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,613 Posts
Gree! didn't realize you were back at it. Man that is stunning detail work. This is going to be one sweet Jug.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:12 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,846 Posts
amasing work gree!!!!! the weathering on the cowl is just perfect!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:31 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Thanks guys, and nice to see you again Jeff. Yeah I am happy with the weathering. I usually overdo it. I might try to sneak in some sanding over Australia Day holiday tomorrow. Nothing more patriotic than sanding....

I love detailing and once I get the fuse and wing smooth, I will be having a lot more fun. Still so much to do! So much for finishing by the end of 2010! :P